Menu

Pancake Mix

I am searching for a good pancake mix recipe. I love the convenience of a box mix but we go through them so quickly and I know I could make one up on my own just as easy. I have tried a couple different homemade mixes before but we didn't care for them as much as the boxed. Would you please share your recipe if you have a good one. Thanks so much!!

My families favorite pancake mix I make is my buttermilk pancakes.

1 3/4 C. Flour

2 TB. Sugar

2 tsp. Baking Powder

1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

pinch of salt

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 1/2 C. Buttermilk

3 TB. Cooking Oil

OPTIONAL: Cinn. for taste as well as some vanilla. I omit both because we love the taste of the plain buttermilk pancakes. However on occasion I will toss in a small handfull of sliced strawberries or blueberries.

Pour 1/4 batter into pan. Don't overdo it because there are fluffy! :D

I was NOT a buttermilk person but when I found this recipe and tweeked it a little bit it's now our family favorite!

If you don't have buttermilk on hand (which I rarely do) you can make your own. For each 1 cup of buttermilk place 1 TB of lemon juice or vinegar into the measuring cup then fill cup with regular milk to the 1 cup mark. Let sit 5 min. It will look "chunky"...this is perfectly fine if it doesn't come out chunky though.

I'm making these this morning.

I use to make a simple basic mix but these are by far the best I've had and my family has had.

it's what we use, and I make it in big batches to keep in the pantry. It's easily adjustable with additional ingredients (adding pumpkin or monkey cakes, or apple/cinnamon, etc). They freeze great, too!

(and I love seeing another AB fan!)

This is the recipe I use (from Better Homes & Gardens)

1 c. flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbs sugar

scant 1 c. milk

1 egg

2 Tbs oil

That scant 1 c. milk allows the pancakes to cook up fluffier. If you add the whole 1 c. milk it waters down the batter enough to make the pancakes too thin. I use a griddle and cook them at 350F, about 1/4 c. batter per pancake. It makes about 8 pancakes.

We use the one from America's Test Kitchen (Cooking.com has their recipe for free on their site. ATC makes you pay for it.). Sometimes we add the blueberries sometimes we don't.

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/Blueberry-Pancakes-recipe-7607.aspx

Like lemon??? I made lemon poppy seed pancakes the other day. Kids loved them. They were yum-yum. :thumbup:

Edited by Swirl

These are the most delicious pancakes -- I'm sure they are not very healthy either. ;)

3 C. flour

1/4 C. sugar

2 Tbsp. baking powder

1 t. salt

3 eggs

2 1/4 C. milk

1/2 C. shortning or butter, melted

1 Tbsp. vanilla

Mix dry ingredients, make a well into the center and set aside. In another bowl, mix milk, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture & pour melted shortning or butter into the flour mixture and stir until moistened. Batter is lumpy.

Pour 1/4 C. at a time onto hot buttered skillet. Flip when top is bubbly. Recipe makes about 18 -20 pancakes. Leftovers freeze well.