Menu

I could really use some advice on nasal congestion.

I'm never sick. I'm not really sick right now but I really need someone's advice on what I have going on.

I feel fine. No fever, chest congestion, cough, aches, etc. I feel fine. The only problem is my nose is either severely congested one minute or burning like raw sandpaper skin when I breathe. Last night was torture because I can't seem to sleep with my mouth open and either suffocating woke me up or the extreme burning with every breathe woke me up. During the day I've been able to breathe through my mouth, obviously, but I'm dreading the bed.

I'm not one to usually take anything but I did stop by Walgreen's on the way home. She recommended the regular 12 hour Sudafed. It contains pseudoephedrine HCI. While waiting to purchase that I saw the nasal sprays and some of the said "moisturizing". That caught my attention! The Vick's Sinex contains oxymetazoline. Both are called nasal decongestants.

I don't know what to take. I don't know what to do. I don't want to go back out in the cold and rain tonight for something else and the idea of a night like last night makes me very anxious. :)

Help? Thought?

Edited to add: I forgot to say I'm enjoying episodes of running nose mixed into all this delight. Also, I'm sneezing several times a day which isn't terribly unusual except I normally have to see the sun for that to happen. Sneezing sunlessly is pretty rare for me. :) So, multiple sneezes.

I feel like such a baby! LOL I just don't quite know what to do. I'm just so seldom sick...or whatever this is.

Edited by PinkInTheBlue

It sounds like you have what I just got over. Sudafed is for daytime, if you take it much past late afternoon, you may not be able to sleep. And the nose spray is also decongestant, you could use that at night to help you breathe so you can sleep.

I really like Xlear. It is saline spray with xylitol. You can use it as much as you want. I also like the regular mucinex, it helps unclog sinuses, clears your ears, and helps you cough stuff up.

I also make ginger tea. Just thinly slice fresh ginger, and simmer it for 30 minutes. Slightly sweeten and dilute to taste. It is a little spicy, but it helps fight colds and flus.

Feel better!

Do you sleep with a humidifier? I'd try that for the burning nose. Does your nose ever run? If not, I'd assume it's swelling of the nasal passages and go for something like Advil to reduce swelling. If the problem is a runny nose, I'd try the Sudafed.

FOr the long run - can you try saline solution? Or the Neti Pot?

I take zyrtec for allergies, but I still had the same problem as you. I ended up needing a nasal spray. Nasocort aq worked wonders! I would try to stay away from a decongestant nasal spray as they can make it worse. Pill decongestants only work for so long before you have to take more, plus they keep me up at night. I would have to take a drowsy med to go to sleep.

If the nasal spray is only moisturizing, en I don't see a problem with it.

Do younhave a humidifier in your house? Maybe a small one in your room will help.

Thank you Susan. The pharmacist also said the Sudafed did have a pretty good chance of keeping me awake. I'll skip that tonight. I don't have ginger tea but I'm wondering if some regular hot tea might be at least partially beneficial for comfort and the steam. :) Is that a silly idea?

Susan, I am having a runny nose as well. Sorry, I definitely should have added that step in the day. It's either completely stopped, running like a faucet or burning like fire. Can I just cut if off? Would another, better nose grow back?? :)

Tylianna, is it allergies? I've never had allergies that I'm aware of but whatever this is does have me mystified. I feel fine. I don't even feel congested in any way. It ALL feels like it's about my nose. LOL It's weird but, hey, that's me. :) You and Jennifer mentioned the humidifier and even though I have one, I never use it. I'll go drag it out and read its directions right now!

Thank you all so far!

I would do this:

Daytime

12hr Sudafed in the AM-breaks up any congestion that you do have-stop taking this is you no longer have mucous.

Mucinex/Guaifenesin only type: around the clock-it draws moisture to the mucous membranes and helps you to not get over dry

Allergy med of your choice. Zyrtec/cetirizine, Claritin/loratadine, Chlorpheniramine, Benadryl/Diphenhydramine....what ever you like but taken at the max dose per day.

Anti-inflammatory: Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen or Aleve/Naproxen

Nighttime:

Guaifenesin

Allergy med

Anti-inflammatory

For dry passages use a q-tip and put a bit of Vaseline, coconut oil, a&d ointment, aquaphor or other ointment based moisturizer around or inside the tip of the nose.