Menu

Are any other 8th graders planning on public high school?

DS is getting ready to go back to ps.

The high school is having its pre-registration meetings and such for incoming freshman. DS will be taking placement tests, music tests and who-knows-what in the next few weeks.

I have been hard at work making a transcript along with resource lists, dates of attendance and hours worked for each homeschooled year.

I am feeling the pressure...now that others will be 'seeing' his progress. I know we havea few things to work on - writing, for example - but I hope he does well.

He took the ACT last year and will take it again in a couple of weeks. He did amazingly well last year and I am interested to see if he has progressed this year.

--

Am I alone in this transition from homeschooling in junior high to public high school?

We did this with my older son. I am not sure what we will do with Swimmer Dude. Does your ps require transcripts? Our high school could have cared less what my son did, but they did take his state test scores into account for placement. I made sure that the kids continued to take the state test because it is more difficult than the standardized tests that we have to turn into the state. My son transitioned well and likes high school much better than he did the ps middle school when we pulled him out. I think though, if it weren't for the social end of things, he would prefer to do his learning at home. There are fewer distractions and less time wasted in home schooling. Good luck with everything. You will both do just fine.

My oldest is planning on high school next year. In New Jersey, there's little coordination between public school and homeschoolers. There's no "pre-regisration" here. I wish we could take placement tests and do a bit of planning. I am preparing a transcript but will only include grades and "class" descriptions for 8th grade.

Mine are only in 7th, and the decision hasn't been made for sure yet, but I'm thinking very seriously of the local high school, which has an excellent reputation. I actually just got home from an 8th grader parent evening at the high school. I wanted to get more info on placement and expectations while I still had time to address things next year. I was happy to hear that they would enroll them in whatever level they test at in math and foreign language, even if it's not a "freshman" level course. I also got the name of a writing tutor - I am feeling more and more like my kids would benefit from having someone other than me give them deadlines and constructive criticism in writing.

As far as I can tell they don't require any transcripts, just placement tests in areas like math. They should know everything they've done anyway - I have to send them an ed plan every year.

My oldest is planning on high school next year. In New Jersey, there's little coordination between public school and homeschoolers. There's no "pre-regisration" here. I wish we could take placement tests and do a bit of planning. I am preparing a transcript but will only include grades and "class" descriptions for 8th grade.

There's no coordination here. I think that's why they are asking for so much info.

Good luck in your preparations.

I was happy to hear that they would enroll them in whatever level they test at in math and foreign language, even if it's not a "freshman" level course. That is wonderful. I think I am in for a fight to get DS placed into the classes he needs. I am hoping his ACT scores will be supporting evidence for my requests.

As far as I can tell they don't require any transcripts, just placement tests in areas like math. They should know everything they've done anyway - I have to send them an ed plan every year.

We aren't required to submit anything to the school district and the lack of homeschoolers transitioning to high school in our area means I get to be a trailblazer. Yeah me.:glare:

That's what my dds did. After 8th grade, both went to public high school. I created transcripts and report cards. We crammed in a bunch of math and reading during the months before school. Oh, and I don't know if you've heard about New York City's high school admissions process, but it's very stressful (although, very worth it). I was also a bit nerve-wracked about others now "seeing" their progress. It really makes you want to second guess everything you've done, lol. But in the end, both girls have done amazingly well - socially and academically.

We already applied to the math\science magnet. His older brother attended the school for one year, but left for good after that. It's a good school, particularly the Ingenuity Project part (google it for more info), but I'd still rather he stay home, and I'm planning one short speech to that effect after he gets word about his acceptance. Socially, I'm not thrilled. It's also such a huge grind. Here, the choices are big magnet school, where you are killed with the college prep workload, or local high school with scarily low academic standards. I just wish he could have those last years at home with fewer demands on his time. Maybe he'll decide otherwise after a year like his brother did.

By way of encouragement, when my eldest went to this pretty intense, academic school, he thrived academically-he was very well-prepared. So academics are one thing you probably won't have to worry about.

We transitioned my older ds from homeschool K-8 to a private high school 3 yrs ago. It went fine. He continues to thrive in school.

My younger ds attended gr. 8 public school for the first time this year after homeschooling k-7. He is doing very well in school. This fall, he will be attending the same private high school as his brother for gr. 9-12.

I'm surprised that you need to show so much to the public school. The placements tests and stds tests should be enough to place him.

I'm sure it will be fine! Don't worry!! ;)

We transitioned my older ds from homeschool K-8 to a private high school 3 yrs ago. It went fine. He continues to thrive in school.

My younger ds attended gr. 8 public school for the first time this year after homeschooling k-7. He is doing very well in school. This fall, he will be attending the same private high school as his brother for gr. 9-12.

I wish we had a private school option for my DS. The closest private high school is about an hour away.

I'm surprised that you need to show so much to the public school. The placements tests and stds tests should be enough to place him.

The admins. running our high school have little man syndrome. They like to flex whatever power they have at every possible occassion.

I'm sure it will be fine! Don't worry!! ;)

Thank you for the encouragement.