Menu

I have a stupid housekeeping question?

Light colored sugar and cream cotton yarn, darker will bleed. Pick a fairly airy pattern, or they will be heavy when wet. They are durable, pretty because they're home-made (imho) and are excellent at scrubbing things off-within reason (except pots and pans with heavy stuck on stuff).

I love them!

Regardless of homeade or store-bought, I use a new one every day, used one goes in the wash.

Actually, I usually think sponges get nasty fast. I prefer wash cloths because I can toss it into the laundry. When I need something abrasive I use a thin nylon scrubby thingey.

I use washcloths, too. I use 4 or 5 a day because I'm a germaphobe. I wash them often in hot water with towels.

I've been knitting mine and I have been making them smaller than usual....maybe 5 x 5....I love this size, the weight is perfect and they really grip what I am cleaning better than a cloth or sponge. I like a medium to dark color. I've had no problem with bleeding and they look better as they get stained. And you don't have to fold them in the drawer. They are a perfect size for stacking.

I've got a picture on my blog if you want to have a look. The third one in this picture is my favorite size.

http://waysidesacraments.blogspot.com/2011/01/bloggy-birthday-give-away.html

I crochet my own dishclothes, and I just get out a new one each day. If you use a new one each day, and wring it out well and hang it on the faucet in between uses, so it's never sitting there soaking, they don't get gross. Cotton can be washed and dried hot, to kill germs.

Also, if you do laundry weekly instead of daily, I recommend letting the dishcloth dry completely before putting it in the dirty clothes. Don't let it sit wet (or even moist) in the hamper. Hang it on the side till it's bone-dry, then toss it in to await laundering.

I like mine very much. The stitch ridges make them great for scrubbing.

Light colored sugar and cream cotton yarn, darker will bleed. Pick a fairly airy pattern, or they will be heavy when wet. They are durable, pretty because they're home-made (imho) and are excellent at scrubbing things off-within reason (except pots and pans with heavy stuck on stuff).

I love them!

Regardless of homeade or store-bought, I use a new one every day, used one goes in the wash.

Exactly. I hang them over the edge of the sink to dry. We change the dish towel, dish cloth, and bathroom hand towels every day. :001_smile:

ETA: Here are the patterns I use: Octagon, Textured V Stitch, and Thermal Stitch. The first one is fun, the second pretty, and the third very practical.

I've been wanting to try this one: Nubby Dishloth.

Edited by angela in ohio

Exactly. I hang them over the edge of the sink to dry. We change the dish towel, dish cloth, and bathroom hand towels every day. :001_smile:

ETA: Here are the patterns I use: Octagon, Textured V Stitch, and Thermal Stitch. The first one is fun, the second pretty, and the third very practical.

I just love this type of project, so many styles to try and they work up very quickly. I made the Nubby Dishcloth lastnight. Thanks for the links and the inspiration. ;)

I did the nubby dishcloth last night. It's really simple, but didn't turn out as nubby as I wanted. :glare:

I like doing rows of half-double crochet into the back side of the chain only (no pattern for this, I just do it), because then the front side of the chain makes a little ridge. Half-double crochet is a nice, sturdy stitch.

I also like the Bark Sedge Stitch pattern (scroll down to the bottom for the actual instructions). It ends up looking kind of checkered if you use variegated yarn, which is fun.

I like doing rows of half-double crochet into the back side of the chain only (no pattern for this, I just do it), because then the front side of the chain makes a little ridge. Half-double crochet is a nice, sturdy stitch.

I also like the Bark Sedge Stitch pattern (scroll down to the bottom for the actual instructions). It ends up looking kind of checkered if you use variegated yarn, which is fun.

These are really pretty. I never thought of making them for washcloths, great idea. These are so much fun.