Menu

Sweet comment from my pediatrician today

Today begins the "let's run all the kids in for their check-ups" marathon; I'm a glutton for punishment, so I bring them in one at a time (I know, I'm crazy, but it gives me time to focus on the individual)

Anyways.

My pediatrician used to homeschool her 4 kids - she quit just in the last 4 years, and sends them to the public schools (the older two are in college, though).

We got to chatting about books, used curriculum sales, non-traditional college options, etc etc. . . and she looks at me and says,

"You know, I really miss my homeschooling days."

That was the encouragement I needed. What a blessing.

Anyone else have a supportive Dr. in their life?

I have bragged about our dd's pedicatrician here before. She and her dh are homeschooling their children. She even cut her office hours way back so she could be more involved with their edication at home. When we were there today she gave me this huge hug and told me she finds our family to always be a bright spot in her day. :D

My son's pediatrician is neutral essentially. When I neded help he was quick to tell me that he would help me get any eval I wanted because he trusted my instincts. My son loves him and so we willingly drive 60miles one way to see him.

That's wonderful. I'm happy you have that kind of medical professional for your children. Ours was awful and has since been fired. We have a GP who never asks them anything about school.

But, our pediatric cardiologist for the oldest ds is very supportive and I had great conversations with the Certified Nurse Midwives who delivered the three boys (I was homeschooling dd through those pregnancies) because they had all been, at one time, midwives at bush clinics in Africa and Latin America and by virtue of their remote locations, homeschooled their own children during those years.

It really is nice when you have a supportive doc.

Faith

What a blessing!

My ped's wife home schools their five children. So I do not get a bunch of invasive questions and suggestions like, "I bet she'd really ENJOY preschool" to a 3 year old that reads like a 2nd grader. I am grateful to avoid that non-medical hooey.

Our new pediatrician is unfazed, as was our last who recently retired. My dd's ophthalmologist asked my dd if she started first grade. My dd said, "I'm homeschooled." He got a sly look on his face and half turned to me and said, "OH! You got the hard teacher!" :lol: What a funny quip! Made funnier by the fact it's surely accurate!

Our new pediatrician is unfazed, as was our last who recently retired. My dd's ophthalmologist asked my dd if she started first grade. My dd said, "I'm homeschooled." He got a sly look on his face and half turned to me and said, "OH! You got the hard teacher!" :lol: What a funny quip! Made funnier by the fact it's surely accurate!

Nice comeback! I'll have to remember that one!

We have a new pedi here as our old one just transfered to a new city. I just took my DD for her 6 year check up, and I admit I was a little nervous about questioning! She asked about her reading ability, if she could read and what she liked to read. Once she realized she was reading at a very high level for her age, she asked if she was in the talented and gifted pull out at our school. I told her we homeschooled and our district doesnt have talented and gifted programs. She asked DD a few more questions and then turned to me and said, "Well, I think you should continue to homeschool her. She obviously is well above other children her age, and if your district doesnt have a gifted program, it is really pointless to put her in school! I can see that homeschooling is working and probably a good fit for her!"

*sigh* what a huge relief!:001_smile: