Menu

foodies - need idea for a salad course (or other idea) for wine pairings

Dh and I are in a wine club that meets every other month or so. Our turn will be coming up this spring, and I have decided to do a pairings menu. I am going to e-mail everyone the courses I will be serving and then each couple can choose a course to bring a wine for. Dh and I will take whichever course is left. We have six couples. I have most of my selections chosen except for a salad course. I want to stay away from anything fruity or containing blue cheese b/c the appetizer has pear and blue cheese already. I do think the salad needs to be a bit tangy since both the appetizer and soup are rather rich. And, of course, I would like something that presents well! Here are our other courses:

1) pear, blue cheese, and walnut tartlets (in those little filo dough tartlet

shells)

2) Salad????

3) Crab bisque

4) Turkey and artichoke stuffed pasta shells with arrabbiata sauce. The

filling also contains ricotta, fresh basil, parmesan, egg, etc. The sauce is

marinara-based but definitely has some heat via red pepper flakes. There

is also pancetta in the sauce.

5) Honey-mustard bacon-wrapped pork loin roast on a bed of peppery greens

with lemon-vinaigrette (yes, I get that this is salad-y, but it is primarily

for presentation). The sauce, which goes on the pork and under the

bacon also contains garlic and fresh rosemary.

6) Individual chocolate/raspberry trifles

Any great salad ideas for me? OR would you do a different type of course? If so, what?

Thanks in advance!

Would a panzanella be too heavy, do you think? I've never had crab bisque, so that's kind of throwing me off. The menu looks like it has some Mediterranean leanings, so I would think if not the panzanella, possibly something with cannellini beans and fresh tomatoes with a light lemony (with basil?) dressing?

Sounds wonderful! You're going to have so much fun!!

ETA - Or how about a cold roasted vegetable salad with a balsamic dressing? Zucchini, peppers, onions, tomatoes, maybe some eggplant if it works. And then you could make it ahead of time and serve it at room temp.

Edited by LauraGB

Would a panzanella be too heavy, do you think? I've never had crab bisque, so that's kind of throwing me off. The menu looks like it has some Mediterranean leanings, so I would think if not the panzanella, possibly something with cannellini beans and fresh tomatoes with a light lemony (with basil?) dressing?

Sounds wonderful! You're going to have so much fun!!

ETA - Or how about a cold roasted vegetable salad with a balsamic dressing? Zucchini, peppers, onions, tomatoes, maybe some eggplant if it works. And then you could make it ahead of time and serve it at room temp.

Well, I was trying to not have too much of a leaning toward anything, but maybe I have failed! :lol: Maybe my love for all things Mediterranean has subconsciously sneaked in! Anything that could be done ahead would be fabulous.

Asparagus and roasted red pepper with a Dijon mustard/caper/red onion dressing? Easy to make ahead and chill. Good with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc too!

Mary

I'm to OCD to make something up. However, I will say that my pork loin roast his dijon mustard in the sauce, so I was trying to pick a different flavor.

I love to serve a spinach and strawberry salad, but it has blue cheese, and I fear that would be fruit overload with the pears in the appetizer and the raspberries in the dessert.