Menu

cw pacing question

iona

i was looking on their website and it says that aesop and homer are each meant to be two year courses. do most people do this? i am planning on doing wwe style basic writing instruction to start out, at what point is it best to crossover to cw?

also, has anyone based some of their lit/history studies around the cw selections?

Edited by iona
one more question

I think Aesop is for 3rd-4th grade.

I don't have Aesop, because we started CW later and began with Homer instead.

I'm planning on using many of their literature selections, but I may need to rearrange some and may need to skip many of the optional ones. The CW literature selections don't follow a chronological history order. This makes it difficult if you follow this approach for history and literature. I'm planning on making it work, since I'm still pretty sure that we will be using CW for our writing program throughout high school.

i was looking on their website and it says that aesop and homer are each meant to be two year courses. do most people do this?

You could easily do both Aesop levels in a year, but doing that with both Homer levels would be too much IMO. Each Aesop level has 18 lessons, which can be spread out for two weeks each, or structured a bit differently and done in one week instead.

i am planning on doing wwe style basic writing instruction to start out, at what point is it best to crossover to cw?
When they're pretty good at narration would be fine.

I do WTM style writing with my littles, sans the WWE. Unless one of them are chomping at the bit to do more than copywork, dictation and narration, I intend to have them do both Aesop A and B in their fourth grade year, then progress at the recommended rate. (My older two, currently using higher levels of CW, didn't start at the beginning.)

also, has anyone based some of their lit/history studies around the cw selections?
I haven't. The Aesop levels have some models that compliment ancient studies nicely, but I didn't go out of my way to put more focus on them. They work well regardless your history pace.