Menu

how old are your kids? do you know any Spanish?

We are doing the curricula offered by Discovery Streaming, each at a level appropriate to them. I have some background in Spanish, and though my accent isn't the greatest I am trying to find times to talk to them in Spanish. We are also going to start going to a more fun Spanish class with exposure to a native speaker. I also try to get Spanish videos, tapes, etc. for them, or have them watch movies in Spanish once they are familiar with the content. I need to do more but it is a work in progress. When we can afford it I'd love to do some more tutoring or classes or maybe do some type of immersion experience.

All of my kids take a class once a week taught by a native speaker (same teacher, but the younger two are in a lower level class). DS9, especially, has a fair amount of homework for that class, too. My youngers watch Puertas Abiertas DVDs a few times a week. My oldest spends 30 minutes, 3x a week on Spanish outside of his class, divided between homework and Galore Park Spanish.

This is one of those subjects that kids need someone that knows it to teach it. I don't speak a foreign language and tried everything at home. For me it was exposure, exposure, exposure. Now at the community college my ds is acing Spanish 1. So that is the route I'm going to take with the other kids. My dd is almost fluent at ASL due to a class. I really hate when hs moms beat themselves up over another language, so don't. :)

We use Rosetta Stone. It works great for me and my three boys. Pros - it's fun, my kids enjoy it, they learn quickly. Cons - it's not a language study. They aren't learning the grammar. This may happen later on. Right now, though, there is precious little grammar being learned. I'm ok with that because of their ages.

We use Galore Park and have really enjoyed it. I know I will have to move to something else eventually however for now it gives them a good foundation. I did have to write up my own lesson plans which was a pain at first however I am now thankful as I have had to dig into my own Spanish education (way back in college...many years ago...). My goal is not fluency at this point rather basic exposure.

i had a lot of spanish books and curriculum and i just couldn't figure out what to do and what to stick with so i created a spanish basket. i just threw all of our spanish resources into the basket and my child just picks out what appeals to him at any given time. i feel that most of his learning happens when he is motivated and interested at any given time anyways...some things we have in the basket include: rosetta stone, laugh 'n learn spanish, lots of board books and picture books in spanish, spanish poetry kit, flashcards, galore park spanish, muzzy spanish, spanish dvds, some hands on foam letters to make spanish words, some workbooks and i just ordered another spanish program that i can't remember at the moment..it makes it fun and keeps it interesting. sometimes he will spend hours exploring all the different things...

seema