Menu

What do you consider necessary to buy during pregnancy and for baby?

A Moby wrap-style carrier and a ring sling.

A few sleepers, a few hats (knit/fleece and/or a sunhat for a summer baby), a few blankets. One special outfit, either as a first outfit if you homebirth, or a coming home outfit if you don't. (For my babies, this is an outfit that is never worn by anyone else, just that baby.)

6 or so diaper covers to fit a newborn (whatever size you expect your newborn to be), some diapers, some pins or Snappi clips, some wipes, somewhere to put the diapers between washings.

A couple of nursing bras, nursing pads, something comfortable for sleeping in that will hold nursing pads, a few somethings suitable as burp cloths (could just be prefold diapers).

Postpartum care necessities for Mom. This time I want to try belly binding postpartum, as a friend has raved about it, so I'm going to make or buy something for that. Advil, heating pad/rice sock, and herbal remedies for afterpains.

A carseat suitable for a newborn. A safe place for the baby to sleep if you don't co-sleep.

Some soft washcloths for wiping little skin folds. Baby nail clippers. Soft baby hairbrush if you end up with a baby with a lot of hair.

I think that's all I really need and expect to use very often.

Congratulations!

For Mom, I love the maternity clothes at Motherhood Maternity. I'm so sad that it took me three pregnancies to discover them!

You'll also want some good-fitting nursing bras! And, I don't pump very often...but I was glad I splurged on a Medela pump this time. It has made things much easier!

I bought a Baby Ktan carrier this time, and it has been a lifesaver. I think it's similar to the Moby Wrap, but maybe a little easier to use.

For baby, I recommend swaddling blankets from aiden and anias. (I think that's the right name...anyway it's close.)

Vitamins for mom, clothes that fit, stroller for the 2yo so I don't have to chase.

Baby needs clothes, diapers, food, sling is nice, safe place to sleep. We had babies sleeping in pack and plays, cribs, car seats, slings, strollers, swings, etc. Whatever works. A lot of it depends on the personality of you, the baby, and your other kids. Ds9 lived in the sling and slept a lot as a baby. Dd always slept in the crib, she still doesn't like having other people around when she sleeps. Ds14 slept on blankets on the floor at times since we had no other kids or pets to mess with him and it was warm enough.

Cloth diapers. I'm a minimalist, so I never wanted to get into the discussions about new types of diapers. I just followed Amy Dacyczyn's advice in The Tightwad Gazette as to number and method. It worked great, I saved money, but more importantly I saved myself from late-night outings to the discount store in the Wisconsin winter to buy disposables when I had two in diapers.

Onesies were useful and used almost every day. The onesie snap extenders were great to stretch that use.

Goodwill and hand-me-downs were our source for my boys' clothing. Baby clothing doesn't wear out, it gets outgrown. heh heh. Get yourself into a loop of friends who have babies just before and after you, and you'll be set.

Dr. Sears' The Fussy Baby Book was my bible, once I had found it. So many wonderful suggestions and ideas. You may have all the experience you'll need in this area, but I sure didn't.

A birth ball a/k/a an exercise ball. Great for sitting during late pregnancy to maintain the proper position and encourage baby to maintain that upside-down position for birth. Also great for pregnancy sciatica according to friends, and for bouncing a fussy baby into sleep.

Onsies and sleepers for the baby. However many you think you will need before washing day.

I had a portable bassinet I loved. I could move it into any room and not have to use the monitors.

A sling of some sort. My son hated it, but my dd and other babies loved just the simple ones that held them close.

A good swing so I didn't have to rock constantly and bouncy jumper thing was great after the baby started sitting up

If you bottle feed, Dr Brown's, Playtex, or Avent were my favorites. Which I used depend on on the child (We fostered many babies for several years).

Several cloth diapers for burping and spit up. They wash and handle better than most anything.

Baby gas drops, baby tylenol, ear thermometer

What do you consider necessary during pregnancy for mom?

2 pr maternity jeans, 1 pr maternity khakis, 1 black skirt (if you're a skirt person or might need one) 1 denim skirt, a variety of tops to go with these)

What is necessary for baby?\

diapers, wipes, clothes, spit up cloths, soft blanket. Depending on the set up of your house, baby monitor, gate, car seat. Eventually, high chair, crib, crib sheets;

Here's a list of things I have learned I DON'T need:

changing table (towel on the floor works great)

crib (instead I use a pack n play. go anywhere and they sleep like they're in their own bed... because they are)

high chair (I use a seat that straps to adult chair to save room)

swing

nursing pillow

huge stroller

Things I need:

sound maker for baby

nursing cover

reclining bouncy seat

i like the snap n go for carseats instead of using a stroller

cheap umbrella stroller when they get big

For Mom:

A carrier, whichever type Mom prefers.

Lansinoh, for nursing mothers.

A few good bras.

One of those stretchy bands that you can wear around your abdomen post-delivery while things settle back into place.

A great haircut and a pedicure. I usually get these done around the 2 or 3 week mark. It's a great pick-me-up (if Mom enjoys that sort of thing).

For Baby:

Lots of cotton onesies

Several pairs of soft, cotton pants

A light sweater

Several soft, cotton hats

A pack of socks

Cloth diapers (for burp cloths)

Several gowns, for sleeping

A pack of receiving blankets

Diaper bag

Lotion

Playtex bottles & liners, formula (for formula-feeding mothers)

Carseat

Bassinett or co-sleeper

I told her that my necessities would be:

For baby:

Diapers/covers/cloth wipes (she's using cloth to keep expenses minimal)

Minimal, but NICE, soft, clothing for baby

Good sling

Co-sleeper/bassinet for naps and while baby is tiny (she plans to co-sleep)

Good convertible car seat

A REALLY nice, soft baby blanket!!

Small chest to store baby items and put changing pad on top

Umbrella stroller for later

Seat that attaches to table or chair for later

May add bouncer type seat or swing if baby is fussy and would need that

Oh, and she wants a Boppy pillow

For Mom:

Mix and match maternity pieces

Good bras for pg/nursing

Good nursing pjs/gown & maybe a nice nursing top

Nursing cover

Lots of fresh fruits, veggies on hand plus nice bottle for keeping water on hand

Foofy bath items for relaxing baths

Seat that attaches to table or chair for later

I forgot that one. Yes, I definitely prefer the small booster-style seat over the full-size high chair.

Mix and match maternity pieces

Yep. I'm still wearing several items that I bought back when I was pregnant with my first baby and working in a nice-casual office setting. Nothing too fancy, just classic and "go with everything" sort of stuff. Four pregnancies, and they've served me well. :)

nice bottle for keeping water on hand

Another good item! I drink so much more water since I bought a nice stainless water bottle, pregnant or not.

Oh, and I forgot to add: a decent bag that holds enough without being overboard. My bag is big now, but that's because I'm carrying water bottles for four people, knitting bag, co-op papers, etc. It's more of a mom bag than a diaper bag. But when I had just one baby, I carried a very small diaper bag. Never saw the need for bringing everything and the kitchen sink for everyday trips to the grocery store or church or whatever.

I agree with other posters. I'd like to also add an exersaucer. It was a great place to put my boys while I cooked dinner if I wasn't wearing them. They enjoyed the stimulation from all the "toys" attached to it.

For mom during pregnancy, I found a body pillow to be invaluable in helping me sleep.

A Moby wrap-style carrier and a ring sling.

A few sleepers, a few hats (knit/fleece and/or a sunhat for a summer baby), a few blankets. One special outfit, either as a first outfit if you homebirth, or a coming home outfit if you don't. (For my babies, this is an outfit that is never worn by anyone else, just that baby.)

6 or so diaper covers to fit a newborn (whatever size you expect your newborn to be), some diapers, some pins or Snappi clips, some wipes, somewhere to put the diapers between washings.

A couple of nursing bras, nursing pads, something comfortable for sleeping in that will hold nursing pads, a few somethings suitable as burp cloths (could just be prefold diapers).

Postpartum care necessities for Mom. This time I want to try belly binding postpartum, as a friend has raved about it, so I'm going to make or buy something for that. Advil, heating pad/rice sock, and herbal remedies for afterpains.

A carseat suitable for a newborn. A safe place for the baby to sleep if you don't co-sleep.

Some soft washcloths for wiping little skin folds. Baby nail clippers. Soft baby hairbrush if you end up with a baby with a lot of hair.

I think that's all I really need and expect to use very often.

What kind of diapers do you use? And how do you wash them? I've tried it for a short period of time when my ds2 was about one year, but gave up because I couldn't figure out how to clean them correctly.

In the past 7 weeks, I have used:

maxi pads (peri bottle, dermoplast and tucks provided by my hospital)

nursing bras

cloth nursing pads

lanolin

breast pump/bags/bottles

baby nail clippers

saline (he's already been sick)

about 6 nb outfits/sleepers

about 6 0-3m outfits/sleepers

2pk disposable nb diapers (at birth, later hospital admission, and for travel - I don't like the bulk in the carseat in relation to his tiny size right now)

a dozen fitted diapers, a dozen prefolds, 3 snappis, lots of wipes and a wet bag

many blankets

a tiny bit of desitin

rectal thermometer

moby wrap

car seat

car seat cover (shower cap style)

a teeny bit of baby wash

one binkie for sleep time

bassinet (and sheets) for attempted solo naps

waterproof pads for my bed (in case of diaper or b00bie leaks)

boppy pillow for nursing

washcloth for wiping down gums

2 hats

diaper bag

and I think that's pretty much it

We have a swing, but it's not getting used much yet.

<nak>

What kind of diapers do you use? And how do you wash them? I've tried it for a short period of time when my ds2 was about one year, but gave up because I couldn't figure out how to clean them correctly.

I prefer Chinese prefolds myself and have been pleased with the ones from jardinediapers.com. Newborn size for the first few months (and then as doublers after), then either regular or premium after that. I wash them by doing a prewash on cold, then a hot wash with some detergent (I use All Free and Clear or similar; I have very hard water, so powder isn't the best option) and maybe some baking soda and/or vinegar (usually not until the baby's on solids though), then a second rinse. If I can line dry them, even better for killing germs.

happypamama-

Would you also share some of your belly binding findings? I'm considering this too but it seems like there are so many different products and different price points..what did your friend use?

I'm still working on this one myself. I think my friend went with a basic 10" abdominal binder, not specifically a postpartum one. She did say she thought a stretchy piece of cloth would work well too, just that it's less convenient than the velcro thing. I'm still debating whether I want to buy a velcro thing or attempt to put velcro on some cloth.

happypamama..would you keep me updated on what you decide? I'm researching too but I don't think I'm going to go the $65 route that some of these binders cost..unless they really are what I need of course (-:

Will do. I don't really want to spend $65 either. I think my friend said hers was under $20. I think this was the link: https://id3474.securedata.net/fstubbs.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=11_13&products_id=7 I'm due in July/August, so I can report back then -- when are you due?

I don't want to end up buying it all again... like I've done before.

What do you consider necessary during pregnancy for mom?

What is necessary for baby?

I know I want to get a new sling (probably a moby wrap) so far. But other than that I don't know yet. So let's hear some suggestions :)

What we had with our babies...

Cribs for the twins, but then with youngest two we didn't bother with cribs we just used a travel crib.

Infant car seat (is a given obviously).

Stroller

Swing

Bedding (3 sets we found was a good number)

Lots of receiving blankets

2-3 newborn hats, 2-3 sets of hand mittens (one of my boys nails grew so fast that he always scratched the heck out of his face)

Lots of onesies, sleepers, bibs, burp/spitup rags (I used cloth diapers), and socks.

Outfits... depends, summer don't need much. But also keep in mind babies grow fast!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found that 10 outfits was more than enough. My babies are all spring babies so they often just went around in onesies and sleepers for first few months and then over summer mostly just onesies.

And baby care items (nail clippers, brush, wash cloths, baby wash, diapers, lotion, butt ointment, wipes, vaseline (for the umbilical cord and then later it still comes in handy), nose suction bulb, medicine dropper/syringe).

I wish I had but didn't was a wipe warmer and a rocking chair.

That is about it really. I didn't bother with a lot of the fancy or expensive stuff either. Figure they were going to grow too fast anyway and the more "fun" stuff was needed later (toys, play mats, play gyms, etc).

Edited by AnitaMcC