Menu

SWB: Please, please tell me what you think about MCT : )

CarrieF

SWB, if you read this, would you mind giving your $.02 about MCT's language arts series? Particularly, his Island, Town, and Voyage levels? Pretty please?! I am using the Island series with my 3rd grade son and we LOVE the creativity AND the content. It is definitely NOT a "traditional" curriculum, but I THINK it fits the classical bill?! However, since I am not totally sure, I would really appreciate your opinion. I received an email from RFWP that he will be presenting at William & Mary, so I thought to myself, "Surely, SWB is familiar with him and has an opinion of his curriculum?!" ;) If not, at least I tried!

THANK YOU!

Me too!!

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, since we are just starting to plan for writing and grammar. I am very interested in MCT. However, I just read an article by SWB, where she really emphasizes the importance of formal diagramming, which I think MCT does not do.

The main reason I'm planning to attend the homeschooling convention in Philadelphia this summer is because both SWB and MCT are guests.

Personally, I don't really care whether SWB (or Jessie Wise) approves of MCT's grammar curriculum, as I have serious doubts about the value of learning to diagram sentences anyway. But I am looking forward to hearing each of them speak!

This blog post of hers might be of some use.

http://dev.welltrainedmind.com/how-to-read-a-review/

Oh, how I wish SWB was still doing reviews but this explains a lot.

I would love a review on MCT from SWB. I imagine if it was 100% positive 50 people would go buy it even though it is a bad fit for their family. If it had some negatives 50 people would jump on her. :lol:So feel free to PM me with your thoughts.:lol:

MCT= Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts

I wish I could at least dream about whether is something I should look forward to or not (i.e. if it is a topic I wouldn't listen to, e.g. theology, I could stop looking forward to it). :001_smile:

Wow, she gets around. :D

I just can't figure out HOW she gets done ALL that she does . . . is she on a different planet that has more hours in its day?!?! LOL :lol: Or, I know, maybe she has that time turning device Hermione used in Harry Potter #3?! Yeah, that must be it. ;)

The main reason I'm planning to attend the homeschooling convention in Philadelphia this summer is because both SWB and MCT are guests.

Yep, that's why I'm going to Memphis. Wouldn't it be great if some of these conferences would set up panel discussions with some of these folks? Now that would be awesome.

ETA: My LA panel would include SWB, MCT, the Classical Writing folks, and the Analytical Grammar folks.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

Yep, that's why I'm going to Memphis. Wouldn't it be great if some of these conferences would set up panel discussions with some of these folks? Now that would be awesome.

ETA: My LA panel would include SWB, MCT, the Classical Writing folks, and the Analytical Grammar folks.

What a great idea!

Mom and I would be game for that! LOL

Erin from AG