Menu

Baby throwing head backwards

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone here has the same experience. My baby is 11mo and it has had a habit of throwing his head back and consequently arching his back when we pick him up. Now, it is not that he is upset or anything. He lifts his arms we reach to get him, and there goes his head. I have been very careful so I lift him slowly and if he throws his head I lower him and try again. My dh is doing the same. It does not seem to hurt and he has achieve all the milestones for his age. It is just too odd. Anyone can give me some ideas or directions as to where to look for answers? He has an appointment scheduled for March for 12mo check up and I will address it then. However, the pediatrician has left his practice to continue his naturalistic path. I am yet to meet the new doctor so I am a bit nervous about it. The other doctor was great and completely natural oriented. I certainly do not want to have a doctor create monsters if there is none.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Myself, I would wait and ask then. Just remember, if a doctor does a lot of tests, it doesn't mean something is wrong or even suspected. He's just ruling things out. I learned this the hard way after months of heartburn and anxiety with our oldest was 3. They were just ruling out, and I had it in my mind that my 3yo had a damaged kidney! :001_huh: I hope peace overwhelms you as you go and that you know if this new doctor is a fit for you. :001_smile:

I'm no expert but my son did this and I assumed it was just that he thought it was a neat feeling--a phase. It did go away. This particular child did/does have some "stuff" going on but I'm certain the throwing the head back thing had nothing to do with those issues.

I really think it's fine in other words. Worth mentioning (maybe bring in a video if you don't think he'd do it in office) but I wouldn't worry.

Edited by sbgrace

Thank you. I am not overly worried, just a bit puzzled by his "gesture". Normally he will so it every time we are to pick him up from the floor, feeding chair, crib, while on a seated position. Since he does everything else for his age, I am considering this to be a "novelty". I just want to check around a bit so I can educate myself a bit before going to the doctor in March. Thanks again. Be well

Miriam