Menu

Do journalists/reporters *have* to go to dangerous places?

I was reading some comments to articles where people were begging the US to pull our journalists out of Egypt. I always assumed there were enough adrenaline junkies that people would be lined up to risk reporting from somewhere like Egypt. If I were single, I would probably be up for getting shipped off to just about anywhere in the world.

But, the comments made me think. Do they have to go or lose their jobs? Anyone know?

I would think this is part of their contracts and their employers exercise a certain amount of discretion. There have always been journalists in war zones, etc. It's a profession with risk, like the military, law enforcement, etc. People have often been able to climb the ladder of success by reporting from those very types of situations.

Not everyone in journalism is assigned to war zones or dangerous places. To be honest, war journalists and war photographers are often in a class by themselves.

Frankly I am glad that people like C.J. Chivers and Tyler Hicks are willing go where I will not travel. They help us understand conflict and can do this because they are in the field, not just analyzing propaganda at a distance.

Not everyone in journalism is assigned to war zones or dangerous places. To be honest, war journalists and war photographers are often in a class by themselves.

Frankly I am glad that people like C.J. Chivers and Tyler Hicks are willing go where I will not travel. They help us understand conflict and can do this because they are in the field, not just analyzing propaganda at a distance.

Well, it is a good thing that the world finds out what is happening.

I do wonder though, if having people there like Anderson Cooper who stick out like a sore thumb is not always the best thing. But I suppose that cannot always be avoided.

I have no idea if they "have" to be there, but seeing Anderson Cooper being in that angry mob and being repeatedly punched made me say today that I think those reporters all need to come home before they get killed. He's lucky he didn't already get killed.

It's odd but I had an opposite reaction while watching the video. I was so impressed with the number of Egyptians who came to their aid. They had no reason to jump in against an angry mob to help complete strangers but they did. Very cool! I understand the need for reporters to be there but I do worry about their safety. :sad:

I do wish this would come to a resolution quickly. I feel so bad for the ordinary people living there. How hard it must to be a parent there right now. Revolution is a dangerous business.