Menu

Can a feather bed be dry-cleaned?

Our local dry cleaner won't do down.

I wash it anyway. The laundromat will have larger washers and dryers, if it doesn't fit in yours. Be sure to use Borax with the laundry detergent to get rid of the smell and put clean tennis balls in the dryer with it.

Dry it a whole cycle after you think it is dry. The down inside will clump together and it will feel dry, then start to smell in a week or so.

I have washed and dried my feather pillows many times in a regular washer and down comforters in the large commercial washers and dryers at the laundrymats. Both have been fine. I also put a very padded mattress pad between my mattress topper and sheets so that it absorbs most things and then the topper needs washed less frequently.

I'm surprised people have difficulty finding a dry cleaner to clean a down comforter.

I took my king size one to a place I found from this site.

I was expecting it to cost a lot but it was only $35. My comforter looks great now.

I know I could find a dry cleaner to clean a comforter, and I have actually done our comforter in our machine at home many times. What I need cleaned is an actual feather bed, the kind that go on top of the mattress. It's much stiffer and bulkier than a comforter. It's this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11377915&search=feather+bed&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=feather+bed&Ntt=feather+bed&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1