Menu

Newbie Curriculum ?'s

3littlemonkeys

I could start a new thread on each subject I have so many questions.

I will be pulling DS (k'er-6 in may) out of PS at Spring break. I've been neck deep in curriculum research, read TWTM, and have been lurking this board for 2 weeks. I have a good idea of what I think I want for next year, but I still have so many questions!

Since I will be pulling him out before the end of the year, I need to do some sort of schooling with him until June. (also to get idea of what WONT work for next year as we will be having a baby in July) I do plan on a week or 2 or de-schooling.

I plan on doing some reading/writing and Math for the end of this year but I'm undecided on Math, and need advice! I had made up my mind about Saxon, the switched my mind to Singapore, and now I'm all over the map with RightStart & MUS thrown in somewhere. He is Math/science oriented.

I will begin with these for reading/writing (I feel like he is behind in reading because they aren't teaching phonics at all, just sight words)

OPGTR & ETC

Should I supplement anything else for the tail end of the year? I'm thinking of doing some dinosaur science stuff b/c he's really into Dinos and they are having an exhibit at our Zoo.

Next year I will be adding:

AAS, SOTW, Something formal for Science, something for Bible, and HWOT (should I start this immediately too??)

I'm also kind of feeling like "I must fit xyz in or I will fail miserably" so I feel like I need a "curriculum" for each subject.

Thanks for any newbie advice :)

Yeah, stop and breathe! :) I'm a recent newbie hs'er, and here's what I would do in your shoes.

1. Don't buy a thing right now. Go to the library, get Cathy Duffy's book (or a similar one) called 100 Top curriculum choices. It will show you what type of homeschooler you are, and which curriculums will be a good fit for you. Doesn't necessarily work for everyone (what does) but it sure opened my eyes. Look up different methods and get books on them. This will really help you in the long run, I disregarded this step and regretted it.

2. Find a support system, other homeschoolers in the area, coops, church groups and upcoming conferences in your area.

3. Read, have fun with your son, get to know him and build your relationship. If you go all "militant teacher" on him at the start, you'll BOTH be miserable. Go to the library, museum, parks. Do hands on stuff. Retrain both of you that learning is not all sitting at a desk being fed facts. Enjoy being his Mom.

4. Did I mention, relax and breathe? :D

My suggestions:

If he's math/science oriented I'd go with Right Start or Singapore.

I'd get tons of MSB books/videos out of the library, Bill Nye, watch Nova, Nat'l Geo kids. There's tons of dino videos and books by DK, scholastic and Nat'l Geo. I wouldn't get a formal curriclum for this right now.

I'd foucs on phonics skills and reading. I don't know what OPTGR is, but we have always used a combo of AlphaPhonics and ETC. Fluency in reading is our focus for K-2nd. We do other stuff too but reading is foundational to everything else so I make sure my kids can rock at reading. I'd be diligent about it daily, especially before the baby, cause babies have a tendency to disrupt things :).

I know lots of folks don't like ETC but I think it gets the job done. I'd supplement with something else as well. If you are comfortable with OPTGR and it is a strong phonetically based program, go for it. That is where I'd say focus the bulk of your time.

Edited by laughing lioness

I will be pulling DS (k'er-6 in may) out of PS at Spring break.

Congratulations. That's exactly how I started. :D

Since I will be pulling him out before the end of the year, I need to do some sort of schooling with him until June.

No, actually, you don't. :)

(also to get idea of what WON'T work for next year as we will be having a baby in July) I do plan on a week or 2 or de-schooling.

A week or 2? Oh, that isn't nearly long enough. Also, you will NOT be able to tell what works or not in that short a period of time. Sorry to have to break it to you, lol.

I plan on doing some reading/writing and Math for the end of this year but I'm undecided on Math, and need advice! I had made up my mind about Saxon, the switched my mind to Singapore, and now I'm all over the map with RightStart & MUS thrown in somewhere. He is Math/science oriented.

You could read aloud to your dc, go to the library, let him do some copywork, but mostly you're just going to want to let him unwind and reconnect with you. As far as arithmetic, I'd look for some cute workbook-y things at a teacher supply store (or even the grocery store, for that matter) and let him play with those. I wouldn't spend a great deal of money on anything.

I will begin with these for reading/writing (I feel like he is behind in reading because they aren't teaching phonics at all, just sight words)

OPGTR & ETC

That would be ok, I guess, although I'd probably do ETC and not anything more formal yet.

Should I supplement anything else for the tail end of the year? I'm thinking of doing some dinosaur science stuff b/c he's really into Dinos and they are having an exhibit at our Zoo.

If you think he'd enjoy that, then do it. If not, don't.

Next year I will be adding:

AAS, SOTW, Something formal for Science, something for Bible, and HWOT (should I start this immediately too??)

I wouldn't start HWOT immediately. See my comments above. :)

I'm also kind of feeling like "I must fit xyz in or I will fail miserably" so I feel like I need a "curriculum" for each subject.

We all feel like that. We usually get over it. And you can't possibly "fail miserably," at least not this early, lol.

My best advice: Relax. Keep educating yourself. :)

Welcome to the board! We are currently doing K, so I thought I would share with you what is working for us.

Reading: Primarily using “Phonics Pathways” by Dolores G. Hiskes , but I also use my mom’s old Abeka "A Handbook for Reading" she passed down to me, Bob Books, HOP K books, Primary Phonics books from the library, and lots of other readers we’re checking out from the library.

Phonics- Explode the Code. We started with the Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code primers in PreK and are working our way up.

Handwriting- We are currently using A Reason for Handwriting K, but are about to start Level A, which is the 1st grade book. I like it because it is Christian and incorporates scripture verses as copywork (in the level A).

Math- We started out using Singapore Earlybird Math, but I just wasn’t thrilled with the workbook approach. It was like pulling teeth the get dd to do even one page! I switched to RightStart level A a few months ago, and boy, what a difference! DD now ASK to do math, and told me the other day that it’s her favorite subject. Now THAT’S what I want to hear, lol! Right Start is very hands on, with hardly any workbook pages. There are a few, but it uses the abacus and lots of fun games to teach math the Asian way.

Fine Motor skills- a variety of things such as playdough, working on scissor skills, etc.

Bible/Devotion- We’re reading through “The Child’s Story Bible” by Catherine Vos and loving it! We also occasionally use “Leading Little Ones to God” by Marian M. Schoolland, and while I like this as well, we haven’t used this as much as the Vos book.

History/Geography- For K I just wanted to keep it light and fun, so we’ve read a variety of great books on American history. Some titles in particular:

"The History for Little Pilgrims" by Christian Liberty Press

"The Children’s Book of America" by William Bennett

Lots and lots of books from the library about America and American famous people, such as Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea, George Washington, etc.

Also lots of books about geography, maps, etc. and we have a blow up globe that the girls love.

I have also used several history/geography lessons from this free site: http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm Wonderful site….check it out!

Supplements for History and Geography are things like World and United States floor puzzles, Geography songs cd by Kathy Troxell, “Take Your Hat Off When the Flag Goes By” cd http://www.nccsstore.com/Take-Your-Hat-Off-When-the-Flag-Goes-By-CD/productinfo/TYHO/, Liberty Kids episodes, etc.

Music- Wee Sing America, Around the World and Bible Songs; Classical Music for children cds, such as Carnival of the Animals and Peter and the Wolf, etc.

Art- Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book One, http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1296072899-1028489&subject=16&category=7716. This is wonderful and I highly recommend this art program! We only started this about a month ago but I wish we would have started sooner, because it’s an awesome art program and I love that it uses REAL art materials.

Also this book is a really good book for studying fine art, and the used price isn’t bad at all: http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Paintings-Introduction-Young-People/dp/159373008X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296073060&sr=1-1

Science- Again, we haven’t used one curriculum in particular for this, but I’ve pulled from various resources I have here, as well as lots and lots of books about various science topics that I own and from the library. The Bobbie Kalman books are excellent and are on subjects such as what is a habitat, hibernation, migration, etc. Also the Rookie Science series is excellent, and the Let's Read and Find Out About Science books.

Read alouds- We read a chapter book every night before bed. Winnie the Pooh, Babe the Gallant Pig, Betsy-Tacy, etc. There are lots of great lists of read alouds out there.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck to you, and have fun!

Edited by jewel7123

Maybe he won't need so long to "de-school", if he's only been in Kindy. My ds went to ps K & 1st & we de-schooled the entire 2nd grade year. LOTS of child-led learning, but "headed" in the direction we're in now.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do anything very formal with him the rest of this year. If he's "mathy" then he is probably ahead of K'ers in ps math anyway. I would start fresh with a grade 1 math curriculum next fall. The rest of this year, play math games together, or online--my pre-k'er loves starfall.com and we have a subscription to MORE starfall that he uses EVERYDAY. Lots of phonics, reading, calendar, and math too. READ LOTS OF BOOKS WITH HIM and work on getting him reading fluently on his on by grade 1.

My older ds is very mathy. We started out using just regular math workbooks in 2nd, by the end of 3rd I tried MUS and while it did the job (he knows his multiplication tables forwards and backwards from MUS Gamma!) it really wasn't enough for him. We switched to Singapore in 4th grade and it has "hit the spot" so to speak!! :tongue_smilie: I bet your ds would enjoy 1a/b next year with no additional prep.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK in your hs'ing journey!!! I always wished I'd taken ds out of ps sooner!! :)

Hello and Welcome. I have a son who will be 6 in August and we are doing kindergarten (mostly) this year.

I agree with the PP to take some time de-schooling - IF your state allows. I didn't see anything that said where you are from but I will assume you have researched the requirements and know what you have to do. If you live in a pretty laid-back state, or one that doesn't require enrollment before 6 years old, I would take it nice and easy for now. Do lots of read-alouds, lots of field trips, explore fun websites (National Geographic Kids is great) and do your research by checking out the Cathy Duffy book, checking reviews for curriculums to see why people loved them or why they hated them. Sometimes the reasons a parent hates something tells me that it would be perfect for us. :001_smile:

My son is very visual, doesn't like to sit still, doesn't like to write a lot yet loves workbooks :confused: and likes to do things his own way. What we are using:

MEP for math. I really like the puzzle aspects of it and the different ways of presenting things but we are getting ready to switch to Math Mammoth.

We do workbook pages on Time, Money and Addition/Subtraction because ds wanted to learn them.

ETC for reading. My son knew all the letter sounds from The Letter Factory videos before we started. These Leapfrog videos are great.

We do AAS for spelling but also for reading. My son is very visual so the cards, the tiles, etc. work very well for him. So far I have been able to match it up with our ETC.

We've just been playing around with Science and History until recently. We are now starting a Continents and Habitats study to prepare us to start Ancient History with SOTW sometime next year. We use lots of videos, picture books and games for both.

Kindergarten doesn't have to be too intense. It's perfectly fine to concentrate on everyday math (counting, sorting, patterns) using fun games, and learning to read.

I have homeschooled from the beginning, so I don't know about de-schooling, per se.

However, I suggest using the rest of this school year establishing a daily school routine. I've been tweaking mine this year (my oldest is in first, so all of a sudden, he needs more time!) and it's been so helpful in getting things done!

The first event to work into your day is a reading time, using quality picture books from the library. One of the books you read could be a dino book. Try to do it at the same time every day (like right before naptime or right after lunch). Once you've got that on auto, try adding in a daily phonics lesson. Then work in math, if dc is interested. That way, you'll get the structure in place. When baby comes, you can stretch/re-arrange the original structure/routine to accomodate baby's needs.

All this shouldn't take more than an hour a day, by the way. You can do it in one chunk, or scatter the subjects throughout the day (putting snack or play-outside-time in).

It always sounds good theoretically, and never happens like that practically. I figure my kids are still young and we have loads of time to "get homeschooling". At any rate, I hear it gets better every year :D

Welcome to homeschooling :)

If you feel you need to do schoolwork for the rest of the school year I'd focus on foundational skills:

A little phonics, handwriting, math games. Let the rest be totally delight-driven.

:iagree:

Don't take K too seriously. It's really about adjusting to "school" and learning important life skills like raising your hand when you need to go to the bathroom more than any subjects. :D

You can check with your state's laws, but most places K only requires 2-2.5 hrs a day and that includes aforementioned potty breaks. :)

So, a little phonics, read to him, and make sure he's ready for 1st grade math in the fall (you can look at the Math Mammoth site, she doesn't even start formal math until 1st grade, but she has an article on what skills he should have before starting and a ton of free sample worksheets if you want to try that). Otherwise games to practice shapes and addition is PLENTY.

If he really likes dinos, stock up on dino books from the library for read aloud time. Sprinkle in some questions about what you read and you've got LA.

Really, that is PLENTY! phonics, math games, and read alouds to finish up the year.

You really won't need "curricula" until you start in the fall, so until then see if you can get your hands on some to review for yourself.

Personally, I hated the Cathy Duffy book and was very disappointed in it (luckily just picked it up at the library). It leaves out good solid options that don't match her particular religious beliefs, for my tastes. I think you can find more by searching this and other forums and homeschooling review sites. So many opinions can be confusing, but not having to follow one person's idea of "what's best" is why a lot of us homeschool, right?

Edited by ChandlerMom

I also started by pulling my oldest out during K. :001_smile: That was 9 1/2 years ago.

I'd go with Singapore for math. Get the instructor materials and use it fully. For a child interested in math and science, it is an excellent choice. Really, though, any decent math program will get you to the right place, if used consistently and thoroughly.

OPGTR and ETC is an excellent plan. I would go ahead and do the HWT, as well. Work on that a bit each day and do some of the ETC orally, if necessaary, if the writing is too much. It's better to spend precious writing strength each day on handwriting instruction.

In both of those areas (math and reading) my biggest advice is to just pick one and do it a bit each day. For K, we did an hour or so a day. The idea was to set up the habit of making time for schoolwork each day.

I would go ahead and do the Dinosaur unit. Don't get crazy about it; just get some books and activities and have fun. Luckily dinosaurs are a very, very popular topic for young kiddos, so you will find a lot out there.

I would only add one thing: make a list of classic children's books to read, if you don't already. Read things like Winnie-the-Pooh and fairy tales and Little Bear. :001_smile:

Okay, one more thing: buy some science, math, and art materials for ds to use. You can start small and add each year. Keep them accessible.

(((Hugs)))

You will figure it out. Get him home figure out ONE thing and start playing with it. You don't have to get all your ducks in a row now. One thing at a time. Pick the one that needs help the most, start with that. I wouldn't add more than one thing a week.

Even do informal learning for now. Fall is the time when you want to have most of your programs chosen. Right now just enjoy having him home.

BTW I had my last child when my oldest was 5.75 and I was trying to do K with her. I was a grouchy pregnant woman and it didn't go well so I shelved it. I didn't pick ANYTHING back up till she was 5.75, and it didn't hurt her at all. :D

Heather

I agree with the others...read a lot of books aloud to him, work on motor skills for writing (salt box, chalk, cutting, etc.), and play math games. Throw in some ETC. Have fun!

Then, get a fresh start next year. Even first grade is low on intensity so you can ease into it with the new baby. Use the time to research curricula. Singapore has been great for my mathy guy.

We'll have a new baby in the next month or so and I'm letting go of school expectations for awhile. Taking some time off won't ruin my first grader.

Thanks for your input everyone!! It helps to hear people say it's ok to take it easy!!!

I guess I feel like I need to do something school wise until June because of the baby being due in July, and I wont want to start up again until Sept-ish.

I am in FL, and there is no requirement until next year (6). I have found a local HS group and plan on getting involved with that too.

I feel comfortable doing Reading, read alouds and math games though, nothing too formal, maybe some HWOT. And I think the most important thing is establishing a schedule of sorts so he realizes there WILL be school at home, not nearly what he's used to, maybe only and hour or so a day for a while. Thanks for that tip about establishing a "school time"

Now I just need to get over my irrational fear that I am somehow going to upset or messup my kid pulling him out of school, not to mention telling his teacher who I adore....(I know, I know I am doing the right thing, I just worry)

Thanks for your input everyone!! It helps to hear people say it's ok to take it easy!!!

I guess I feel like I need to do something school wise until June because of the baby being due in July, and I wont want to start up again until Sept-ish.

I am in FL, and there is no requirement until next year (6). I have found a local HS group and plan on getting involved with that too.

I feel comfortable doing Reading, read alouds and math games though, nothing too formal, maybe some HWOT. And I think the most important thing is establishing a schedule of sorts so he realizes there WILL be school at home, not nearly what he's used to, maybe only and hour or so a day for a while. Thanks for that tip about establishing a "school time"

Now I just need to get over my irrational fear that I am somehow going to upset or messup my kid pulling him out of school, not to mention telling his teacher who I adore....(I know, I know I am doing the right thing, I just worry)

I think you are right to do school this year yet. It will be nice to have a few months to try it all out. That will help you immensely as you plan next year, and it will establish your schedule with your ds.

"I agree with the others...read a lot of books aloud to him, work on motor skills for writing (salt box, chalk, cutting, etc.), and play math games. Throw in some ETC. Have fun!"

:iagree:

It's great that your state's laws aren't going to require you to futz around with recordkeeping etc. for the rest of this year - but I also agree with you that some experimentation now will help you both out come September.

In your shoes, I'd not buy much of anything except a phonics program if you don't own one. I'd print out math worksheets from the internet, some writing worksheets if he's been doing them in K and they seem developmentally appropriate, and then hit the library for everything else. Read read read. A literate 1st grader is a joy to teach.

If I were you I would just hit the library and let him pick some books every week. You can have him pick one mathy book , one science or nature type book, one history, two fiction, ect. They have some really cool math puzzle books out there for all age groups and if he wants to go further into something then great. Most libraries these days have a selection of homeschooling books so you might be able to actually check out a copy of something you are interested in and 'preview' it.

You can also find a ton of free educational games online, and there are also a ton of sites where you can download educational games that you print out, and site that give you ideas for educational games with things like regular playing cards. You could try these too. I personally like the games and things at Currclick, they have a lot of free or inexpensive things that I like to use to keep things fun for us.

There has been a "conventional wisdom" axiom in the homeschooling community for a long time that students *need* to "deschool" once they come home from school. I've seen this advice given for many years and from many people. And I'm sure that many times it is appropriate advice, or has proven necessary for *those* people's children.

But I don't think this is necessarily true for all mothers or for all children. (It wasn't true for me and for my two daughters who came home in 4th and 6th grade.) So I would encourage you to observe your student yourself and make the best assessment you can once he comes home.

Perhaps you can have a few things lined up (some phonics, lots of great read alouds, maybe some living science books, some crafts or arts projects, a math program) and gently ease into things. Sure, if you notice signs of stress or feeling overwhelmed, you can adjust accordingly. But he may transition beautifully into a normal schedule without a definite break. My daughters did.

Just for a different opinion . . .

Best of luck to you as you begin the homeschool journey! :)

...And I think the most important thing is establishing a schedule of sorts so he realizes there WILL be school at home, not nearly what he's used to, maybe only and hour or so a day for a while. Thanks for that tip about establishing a "school time"

On schedules -- one of the benefits of hs-ing is you can tailor your schedule to what works best for your dc AND you. You might find dc needs to "warm up" a bit with story time, or does best when he knocks out math and phonics in the first 45 minutes. My only advice here is to be open to patient as you find your "best" schedule.

I also found it really helpful to have some way to show dc what they have to do to finish their school work for the day. With the youngest it may be color coded magnets that you move from a "to do" to a "done" column. Or written on a board so they can see them checked off or crossed out. We ALL like to know what is going to happen to us through the day. Knowing what they need to do helps build ownership. You may also have smaller goals thru the day.

Good luck.

We pulled our kids out of private school in October. One child was in K5. The curriculum in place there was teacher-intensive, drill-oriented, and high pressure. Even though I have all the books I don't use them very much. I use coins to teach money values and how to count by 5s, 10s, etc., a clock to teach time, and flash cards for number recognition. I have a small white board to practice writing and I got a couple of 'school' books at Staples the other day that teach matching, fine motor skills, etc. Kindy work doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, so don't worry.

I wouldn't sweat curriculum stuff just yet. A routine might be the most important for you both at this point. Perhaps starting off with Bible time, then maybe a craft, a snack, read-aloud time, outdoors for PE/nature study, library time, etc. Keep it simple and unpressured. Education happens at this age!