Menu

Program to use before Memoria Press Logic series?

I was thinking of this schedule for formal logic:

Traditional Logic 1 in 8th

Traditional Logic 2 in 9th

Material Logic in 10th

Rhetoric in 11th

Should I up that schedule to start in 7th?? Or use something else as a filler for next year?

They have done a LOT of thinking skills/intro logic elementary programs. We find them worthwhile, especially when we included my now public school enrolled special ed son!

We have already done:

Can you Find me series

Building Thinking Skills CD 1 and book program

Dale Seymour Critical Thinking series

DandyLion Analogies series

DandyLion Logic series

and this year Prufrock press Logic series:Liftoff,Countdown,Orbiting

What else would be worthwhile? I looked at Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox - but it didn't look like "much". Maybe I'm wrong? They do like logic puzzles etc. Maybe another CD from Critical Thinking Press? I would really appreciate opinions...

I would consider The Art of Argument by Classical Academic Press.

I used Fallacy Detective in the past and was frustrated by the "junior high tone". The Art of Argument covers all of the fallacies, but does so in a more complete manner. AoA also has a workbook and exercises verses the "discussion only" format of FD.

My eldest took TL through a co-op in 9th grade. She found the class more enjoyable than the other students did, and she credited her familiarity with the fallacies in junior high.

FWIW- My oldest three all took Traditional Logic in high school. I think my dc would have had trouble with TL in the 7th grade. Both TL I & II can be completed in one academic year. If you do TL I & II in two different years, you won't have to schedule it every day which may be just right. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm narrowing down to Art of Argument or Critical Thinking books 1 & 2 for my 7th grader. Which one would you choose to best prepare for our Memoria Press Logic/Rhetoric sequence in my original post?

What about for my 5th grader? Building Thinking Skills 2 cd-rom?

If you read my op, we've used a lot of different workbooks so far. Just not sure where to go next to prepare for Traditional Logic starting in 8th.

Thanks!!!

I was thinking of this schedule for formal logic:

Traditional Logic 1 in 8th

Traditional Logic 2 in 9th

Material Logic in 10th

Rhetoric in 11th

Should I up that schedule to start in 7th?? Or use something else as a filler for next year?

They have done a LOT of thinking skills/intro logic elementary programs. We find them worthwhile, especially when we included my now public school enrolled special ed son!

We have already done:

Can you Find me series

Building Thinking Skills CD 1 and book program

Dale Seymour Critical Thinking series

DandyLion Analogies series

DandyLion Logic series

and this year Prufrock press Logic series:Liftoff,Countdown,Orbiting

What else would be worthwhile? I looked at Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox - but it didn't look like "much". Maybe I'm wrong? They do like logic puzzles etc. Maybe another CD from Critical Thinking Press? I would really appreciate opinions...

I just had a conversation with Martin Cothran about this last weekend at the conference in Memphis. His answer was Latin. His opinion is that this trains the mind perfectly to enter into Traditional logic in grade 7, 8, or even 9. I liked that answer so I'm going with it. ;)

I believe he also said that MP will have a curriculum on informal logic coming out in the near future, to be used after Traditional Logic or Material Logic. I don't know any details beyond that, though.

I just had a conversation with Martin Cothran about this last weekend at the conference in Memphis. His answer was Latin. His opinion is that this trains the mind perfectly to enter into Traditional logic in grade 7, 8, or even 9. I liked that answer so I'm going with it. ;)

I believe he also said that MP will have a curriculum on informal logic coming out in the near future, to be used after Traditional Logic or Material Logic. I don't know any details beyond that, though.

Yes, we are starting First Form Latin next year. I had 4 semesters of Latin in college and used to read fluently. I loved it, and can't wait for it all to "come back" to me. We used Wheelocks at Baylor. :)

I think I'll go with Art of Argument for my 7th grader and Building Thinking Skills 2 Cd-rom for my 5th grader for 5th/6th. Latin will keep us busy next year since we are starting right into First Form.

Thanks for the help everyone!