Menu

GSWL or big book of LL??

ChandlerMom

My 1st grader is using GSWL & SSL. He actually prefers GSWL, and it's going well so far. If we get bogged down, we'll take some time and play games with the words to help cement them in his memory. He really enjoys the challenge of translations. GSWL doesn't look like a "fun" program. There's just black and white text--no colors, no pictures, no cute stories, etc. Usually the "fun" factor is important to ds, but he loves GSWL regardless. I'm not sure it would work for every 1st grader because of this, but I don't think the work itself is too difficult for that age (at least so far).

I would not start GSWL until the child is reading well (say, maybe around the level of Magic Treehouse, though I just pulled that out of thin air - I'm no reading level expert).

I don't know anything about LL. We have loved GSWL. The key is in the translations - they are what's fun and they are the reason the stuff gets learned.

Consider what your goals might be. GSWL is light on vocab and heavy (comparatively anyway) on grammar. It's amazing how much is learned by the end of the book.

For my 6 year old (1st grade but advanced in several subjects), SSL is light, fun and easy. We just started GSWL yesterday. I've been reading it on my own the past year a bit. I can't wait to start Lively Latin, but I want to finish a bit more grammar, so maybe next year. I hear it's meant for 3rd grade, but some people wait until 5-6th grade.

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

My dd's like working together. which is slowing down SSL considerably. :D My 7yo finished a 4th grade curriculum and can read just about anything (incl MS encyclopedias). Her younger sis is a newbie, 60 lessons into 100EL and 20 Funnix, so Magic Treehouse is probably still 6-9mo away.

I'm looking for something maybe around May. By then my younger one should be done with 100EL and doing first readers, but still will be spending a lot of time with phonics/reading.

Sooo, I'm considering starting GSWL with my older and have them both do BB1 LL after SSL at whatever pace my younger can manage. That way my older girl can do more meat but they can still work "together".

Does that sound totally insane or just moderately insane? Any bumps in the road (problems) I'm not seeing? My 7yo is a perfectionist and happy to wallow in repetitive material as long as she is good at it, so I'm not worried about taking extra time on the basics. :D Plus more time for ME to learn! :lol:

Thoughts?