Menu

WWYD? Son doesn't want to go to PS gifted program one day a week

This is our first year homeschooling. We both thought it would be a great transition to have him continue to attend the public school gifted pull out program one day a week. It's a bit of a pain to schedule the baby's nap around, and means we have to get all of our stuff done in 4 days, rather than 5. Which leaves less time for field trips. But, I figured he enjoyed seeing his friends and keeping in touch. Well, today he said he doesn't really like going. He says that they don't get recess so he doesn't see his friends that aren't in gifted anyway. They work is NOT challenging for the most part. They are memorizing the 50 states and he was able to get 100 percent on both tests so far with only studying for about 15 minutes. He asked to take the final test today, which only had 8 new states on it, after studying at lunch and was told no. Meanwhile a large percentage of the other kids failed the last two tests. On the other hand they are starting to do a lot of writing, but not in a way that I agree with . All creative writing that he just isn't happy about doing.. They are going to have to write a mystery story for instance, and he said that he likes to read them but that good ones are complicated and he doesn't know how to write like that. Um,yeah, he's in 5th grade! We are doing WWE at home and he is progressing really well with his narration and dictation.

I also wonder if being there one day a week just re emphasizes how different he is, because he is homeschooled.

However, if I pull him out, is that just being a quitter? Should i make him keep going? Am i reinforcing the idea that homeschooling families don't have structure?

What says the hive? (oh, and as a refresher this is the kid that is being evaluated for Aspergers, not that that really has a huge bearing on this situation)

Well, it really doesn't sound like he is getting much out of it and he isn't enjoying it or getting the social time he was hoping for so I don't think I would force him to continue going. Why not make a point of having his friends over on a regular basis so he can stay connected to them and take that day back.

Of course you should let him quit. Goodness. Why should he continue doing something he's getting nothing out of?

Who cares what they think? By worrying about it, aren't you reinforcing something to your dc that you don't want to, that what other people think is more important than doing what you think is right?

You guys rock!!!! I am going to tell him tomorrow that he doesn't have to keep going. I am going to score major mom points for this. When we talked about it today I asked him why he hadn't told me before that he didn't want to keep going, and he said he thought I wouldn't care :(

Asking for help and discussing emotions are two things we are really working on with him.

But seriously, ,thanks for backing me up on this one. My instincts said to pull him out, but everyone I know in real life was so enthusiastic about him doing this program you know, for the socialization. ugh. I'm sure I will hear about this from my family, but whatever.

I'm already looking forward to having a full 5 days to play with!!!

Was about to post 'pull him out' when I saw you'd already decided. Could you join a homeschool coop or classical conversations or something for a day to spend with other kids? Not that you need that, but just if you are looking for something along the lines of what you were doing. And, good grief, their idea of a GT program is memorizing the states? Eeek.

Was about to post 'pull him out' when I saw you'd already decided. Could you join a homeschool coop or classical conversations or something for a day to spend with other kids? Not that you need that, but just if you are looking for something along the lines of what you were doing. And, good grief, their idea of a GT program is memorizing the states? Eeek.

Exactly!!! It was SUPPOSED to be about mysteries and unexplained events in history, so they started off studying the Bermuda Triangle, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster. They also learned about fingerprinting. But now they are doing basic algebra (which my son is getting 100 percent on and finishing before everyone else) and writing prompts and 50 state maps. I don't know what happened?

DD11 went to school one afternoon a week, about 2 years ago, so that she could do group sports (it seemed like the easiest option at the time, and it was free). It lasted all of 2 terms and we quit; partly because half the time they changed the class schedule and didn't do sport at all, so she ended up doing snippets of their history or whatever, and partly because it was a pain in the hiney to be getting her in and out of school for just 2hrs - it wrecked the whole day for us. (Complicated by the fact that I had a just toddling 1yr old and a 3yr old going through a very destructive monkey stage.)

Enjoy your freedom! We never regretted giving it up and in the end I didn't care what anyone thought of our choice anyway!

Glad you pulled him out!

Have you considered looking for a really good nature awareness program nearby? Those tend to be great social experiences as well, and the material they cover is multi-level and rarely taught in brick and mortar schools.

Classical Conversations has a good reputation locally as well--I am less familiar with it, but as a one day per week program it might be a good fit.

You made the right choice! We tried to mix some public school classes with our homeschooling for a few years, and it just never worked. Either the schedule really conflicted with our ability to get our homeschool work done or the social influences and disorder in that school was nothing short of a 3 ring circus! So happy not having a thing to do with public school anything! ;)

:iagree: with Ellie and the others. Good decision.

Of course you should let him quit. Goodness. Why should he continue doing something he's getting nothing out of?

Who cares what they think? By worrying about it, aren't you reinforcing something to your dc that you don't want to, that what other people think is more important than doing what you think is right?

You guys rock!!!! I am going to tell him tomorrow that he doesn't have to keep going. I am going to score major mom points for this. When we talked about it today I asked him why he hadn't told me before that he didn't want to keep going, and he said he thought I wouldn't care :(

Asking for help and discussing emotions are two things we are really working on with him.

But seriously, ,thanks for backing me up on this one. My instincts said to pull him out, but everyone I know in real life was so enthusiastic about him doing this program you know, for the socialization. ugh. I'm sure I will hear about this from my family, but whatever.

I'm already looking forward to having a full 5 days to play with!!!

Good for you! :)

Good decision to pull him out. :thumbup1: I don't think you are teaching him to be a quitter. You are teaching him about evaluating the worthiness of activities, and setting priorities.

When people give you that line about socialization- tell them that this particular program wasn't working out. Dropping it will free up time in your schedule that is a better fit for your ds.

However, if I pull him out, is that just being a quitter? Should i make him keep going? Am i reinforcing the idea that homeschooling families don't have structure?

How on earth can homeschooling him completely without him being in ps at all mess up family structure? Are you still nervous about homeschooling? I'm wondering if you're having a hard time letting go of the ps completely.

Personally, I would have taken him out of everything to homeschool. I am positive that he would be getting comments from others about the fact that he isn't in school the other days per week. Has he complained about that?

Our gifted program at the school is silly. I didn't think what they were doing was challenging. It was only a waste of time considering my dd was still responsible for all the work that happened in her regular classroom while she was in gifted. It was just more busywork on top of busywork!