Menu

Need Ideas for a Business Lunch

For our upcoming international move, my dh's company provides us a day of cultural training. The training will take place in our home and it will be an all day event. Since we live in the middle of nowhere, I need to provide lunch for the day and don't have any ideas. Lunch at our house is normally just left-overs, but I don't feel I can serve that! So, does anyone have an idea of something I could serve for lunch that can be prepared ahead of time and would be appropriate for this situation?

Thanks!

Most business lunches I ever attended were sandwiches, chips, cookie, drink. I would think what was previously mentioned of soup, sandwich, salad and an easy dessert (cookies or brownies) with drinks would be lovely.

ETA: Often when catered, the drink choices were water, iced tea, coffee and sometimes lemonade.

Most business lunches I ever attended were sandwiches, chips, cookie, drink. I would think what was previously mentioned of soup, sandwich, salad and an easy dessert (cookies or brownies) with drinks would be lovely.

ETA: Often when catered, the drink choices were water, iced tea, coffee and sometimes lemonade.

:iagree:

People get very cranky when the food at an all day meeting isn't up to par, so I'd offer a lot of food and a lot of choices. Even if the meeting time only "officially" covers one meal, you should have enough food for two meals.

You need to have a good variety of food anyway to cover vegetarians, people with allergies, and so on. It's best to bring in 'professional' food if possible, to avoid awkward comments and getting blamed for food poisoning ;). These suggestions can all be picked up the day before, and most grocery stores do simple catering trays.

*a variety of sandwiches and/or fixings - you need to have plenty of meat, for those who won't eat the bread, and enough veggies to make a veggie sandwich for those who won't eat meat

*pasta salad

*if possible, I'd do something a hot item in the crockpot, like cocktail weiners or meatballs

*fruit tray, vegetable tray

*sweet snacks: muffins, donuts, pastries, cookies

*salty snacks: several kinds of potato chips; single serve bags make this easier

*bottled water

*caffeinated beverages, including coffee, tea, and soft drinks (you do NOT want people at your house all day who are jonesing for some caffeine, lol).

The key factors are lots of food, lots of choices, and readily available caffeine.

Thanks for the suggestions. It will just be our family and 2 (possibly 3) trainers. I don't think there are any restrictions.

I like the soup/sandwich idea. It is cold here, so something warm sounds nice. Which would be better.... a cold cut tray or something like egg salad (or both??) with a choice of a couple of breads. What about soups? I make a pretty good crockpot chili but we tend to like our food pretty spicy so I'm afraid that may not appeal to everyone. Any thoughts on a good combo of soup and sandwiches?

Thanks!

People get very cranky when the food at an all day meeting isn't up to par, so I'd offer a lot of food and a lot of choices. Even if the meeting time only "officially" covers one meal, you should have enough food for two meals.

You need to have a good variety of food anyway to cover vegetarians, people with allergies, and so on. It's best to bring in 'professional' food if possible, to avoid awkward comments and getting blamed for food poisoning ;). These suggestions can all be picked up the day before, and most grocery stores do simple catering trays.

*a variety of sandwiches and/or fixings - you need to have plenty of meat, for those who won't eat the bread, and enough veggies to make a veggie sandwich for those who won't eat meat

*pasta salad

*if possible, I'd do something a hot item in the crockpot, like cocktail weiners or meatballs

*fruit tray, vegetable tray

*sweet snacks: muffins, donuts, pastries, cookies

*salty snacks: several kinds of potato chips; single serve bags make this easier

*bottled water

*caffeinated beverages, including coffee, tea, and soft drinks (you do NOT want people at your house all day who are jonesing for some caffeine, lol).

The key factors are lots of food, lots of choices, and readily available caffeine.

I must have been posting at the same time you were so I didn't see this before. That is a good point you make about having the food professionally prepared. I was thinking that wasn't a possibility since we live out of delivery range for everyone but maybe I could pick up a cold cut tray, veggie tray, etc. the day before. I'll have to check with our grocery store and see what options they have available.

Thanks!

It is easy to pour a thawed quiche mix into a pie crust and slip it into a hot oven an hour before lunch - I used to do that when we'd have training sessions for my son's therapists. The head therapist was always so happy - every other family just ordered pizza.

I'd have a selection of cold sandwiches, a hot quiche, salad, brownies or cookie selection and fruit. I like the idea above of getting a veggie tray (and maybe a fruit tray) from a store the day before. Depends, though - how many folks do you need to feed?

It is easy to pour a thawed quiche mix into a pie crust and slip it into a hot oven an hour before lunch - I used to do that when we'd have training sessions for my son's therapists. The head therapist was always so happy - every other family just ordered pizza.

I'd have a selection of cold sandwiches, a hot quiche, salad, brownies or cookie selection and fruit. I like the idea above of getting a veggie tray (and maybe a fruit tray) from a store the day before. Depends, though - how many folks do you need to feed?

I'd do a simpler version of this: two quiches (one vegetarian, one not), salad, soda or iced tea, and brownies.