Menu

How can I do History Inexpensively

I could go to the library and have the boys read real books, but I know that I would not know what kind of questions to ask, and would end up floundering. I want them to have a sense of history's "timeline", but I just don't have the $ for an intense history curriculum (like HO).:sad: Most of our funds go toward math, science and literature/writing. Oh, this would be for my ds 10 and 13.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:001_unsure:

TIA,

Catherine

Just reading without knowing what questions to ask will still help them to learn and understand history. This is what I'm doing with my 10 and 14yr old boys. Sometimes something interesting comes up in the story and it sparks it's own discussion. I don't have a ton of question I ask. We read, ask any questions that come up and discuss interesting things. They have/are learning a ton! We are putting together a timeline on the wall as well (an inexpensive one) to

keep track of what we're studying. We also watch the Drive Thru History series! This is so great!!! Right now this is our reading list for through Lewis and Clark.

Jamestown: Blood on the River

Colonies/Early Slavery: Amos Fortune

French and Indian War – Calico Captive

Ben Franklin: Poor Richard

George Washington: Guns for General Washington

The Winter at Valley Forge

Revolutionary War: Johnny Tremain

Lewis and Clark: Of Courage Undaunted

Oregon Trail: The Stout Hearted Seven

Edited by scrapbabe

Have you looked at Amble Side online? Many of the boos are free online. There are even many Audio versions of many of the books. There are support groups for each year. All of the groups have files to help you. You may be able to even find sample test ideas.

Also, the WTM way isn't all that expensive. Do you have TWTM? You really only need an Encyclopedia to use as you spine, and time to visit the library. The nice thing here is that the focus is on writing. This could help save you money in other areas.;) There are many thread about it.

Either way, I am sure many of us could help you through either of these options.

HTH

Danielle

Could you get a history encyclopedia like this one...http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-History-Encyclopedia-Editors/dp/0753457849/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1296688168&sr=8-6

It's only about 15.00, and then you could just go through it chronologically picking up library books to go with the major time periods. You could look online to find lots of activities to go with people or places that your dc find interesting. They could outline the encyclopedia and write summaries from the books that you are reading...it doesn't have to be formal and textbooky. Oh wait...this is exactly what WTM suggests...I knew I read this somewhere before!:tongue_smilie:Anyway, HO is mostly just a schedule of books and WTM style writing assignments to go along with it. You could duplicate it yourself using their booklist.

Ambleside Online's schedule is free and most of their books are public domain.

Guest Hallow is free.

I'm in the middle of making dinner so that is all I can think of but I know there is tons of free resources...I'm sure others will chime in if they haven't already while I've been typing!

Get an encyclopedia as a spine (very inexpensive if bought used - Kingfisher or similar), or a textbook (Short History of Western Civ is what my 13 y/o loves).

Supplement with library books and videos.

YOU don't have to ask questions - the questions will arise all by themselves from the reading.

TWTM has good suggestions for living books.

I purchased a new edition of TWTM for $20 off the FSOT forums. :) You can look at what anyone is using for a spine - Mystery of History, Kingfisher, Hakim, etc. and look for it used. All of H.E. Marshall's books are online and they'd make a great middle school spine. Two of the books are what TOG is currently using for parts of Year 2.

You can give your children a GREAT history/lit based education for virtually nil. You can draw timelines, have them write narrations, and talk to you about books, memorize dates and people, all for the cost of paper.

Some would even say books from the library and doing what is listed above would be far SUPERIOR to a nice, orderly, textbook curriculum. :D

If you're going to the library, you could use a history timeline in any history encyclopedia that they have on hand there. You could follow this and do readings from along that timeline. Or, you could use an online history site to serve as your guide and check out books to go along with those topics.

Here's Mr. Donn's History Index page. I don't know what area of history you're looking to do, but if you go to the Middle Ages page, for instance, you'll see lots of selections, including timelines.

Or, here's another timeline I like:

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/middle-ages-timeline.htm

There are timelines online for all eras of history....

So I think a timeline is a good way to form a basis for your study. Choose one and use key people or events on it to find reading about particular people or topics of interest!

Heritage History has some great books online. You can narrow the subject by civilization and color-coded age levels. They have maps, paintings listed by battle or character, etc...

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php

...and you should check out this resource that gives you background info, short biographies on characters involved, battles, paintings, books, etc. all listed out for you. Here is just one example from the French Revoloution:

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php?Dir=wars&FileName=wars_frenchrev.php

Here is sort of what we do.

You'll need:

Story of the World (either book or audio)

A history encyclopedia. There are several out there. Pick one that appeals to your kids in layout and is an appropriate reading level. You might even find these at the library to test drive.

A library card and frequent library visits.

Each week have them

-Read or listen to a chapter in SOTW.

-Read the corresponding sections of the history encyclopedia. (You or they will need to page through or look at the table of contents to pick the best pages to support the SOTW chapter. It will also depend a little on the history encyclopedia.)

-Pick a topic from SOTW or the encyclopedia to learn more about. Check out books from the library. Read and write on this topic. Might be a paragraph; might be longer. You will possibly want to have them looking ahead a week to know what to check out.

-Read some historical fiction or lively non-fiction book related to the topic (get this from the library too). It doesn't have to match up perfectly. For example, you might read Rosemary Sutcliff's King Arthur trilogy, or Norse mythology, or David MacCauley's Cathedral or Pyle's Men of Iron, etc. You can do this as a read aloud, or have them read it themselves. Just talk about the story. What is happening? Why are the characters making the choices they make? Would you choose differently?

Don't forget the science and engineering aspects of history. For example, the middle ages had water wheels for grinding grain, trebuchets, castle building, developments in stirrups and armor, expanding maritime technology, and the plague.

I've become convinced that a large portion of the questions provided in a curriculum are either similar to or inferior to the questions that an average kid will come up with on his own. After all, this is a stage when our kids are just full of why questions. Use that tendency.

Don't overdo the writing. Especially since you said that history isn't your favorite topic. Let your kids revel in the interesting, peculiar, heroic and exotic aspects of history. Let them read about kids their age in other times and places (use the free reading books for this). Let fiction help to illuminate the conflicts and themes of a certain time and place. Not every reading assignment needs to come with a writing component.

You can find SOTW for under $20 a volume (less if you can find it used at a curriculum sale). A history encyclopedia will run $10-30, depending on which one suits you. (Keep in mind that publishers love to revise, update, reissue and otherwise take these in and out of print. Pick one that suits your family; don't be tied to what some curriculum uses because that is what is widely available. Don't feel like you should pay $100+ to get "the right book" because odds are, it really isn't that essential. Though I might pay a little more for a hardback, because I think they wear better over time and will lay flat to read without the spine breaking.)

This is in general what SWB suggests in WTM. She has pages more on how to outline, how to summarize, and good biographical figures to consider in each era of history. If you wanted, you could use something else instead of SOTW (The Famous Men series, for example, is available for free from The Baldwin Project as are other public domain history titles. Or you could get a reprint from a couple different publishers. An audio version is available at Librivox.)

I love reading homeschool catalogs to pull ideas for library books. Sonlight, Emmanuel Books, and Veritas Press are my favorite. Even though these curriculum companies have a Christian world view, many of the books they use are not based on a particular or any Christian viewpoint, but are simply well written, engaging books on a topic (there are some clunkers too, but fortunately they are fewer).

The Well Trained Mind, is most likely free at your library, and would give you the lists, plan and questions you need to make history work with library books. Time lines can be very inexpensive to make at home.

http://donnayoung.org/history/timeline.htm

http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/reviews.php?rid=422

Edited by Tammyla
the links

Librivox has free audio recordings of public domain (out of copyright) works.

There are several books of historical interest available, including the Famous Men series by Haaren & Poland. You can download these from the Librivox website or from iTunes.

They even have a CD booklet and cover art available at the website. So you could download the audio tracks, cut it to a CD and then give it to the kids to listen to. (Or if they have iPods, have them listen with those.)

The Librivox recordings were done by volunteers, so quality varies.

You might also want to look at the audiobook offerings from University of South Florida as Lit2Go. There are many books there that I think would work with history studies.

Heritage History has some great books online. You can narrow the subject by civilization and color-coded age levels. They have maps, paintings listed by battle or character, etc...

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php

...and you should check out this resource that gives you background info, short biographies on characters involved, battles, paintings, books, etc. all listed out for you. Here is just one example from the French Revoloution:

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php?Dir=wars&FileName=wars_frenchrev.php

Thanks for this resource --it's awesome!:lol:

And this one http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/middle-ages-timeline.htm McConnellBoys!

And Sebastian!!!

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma

One thing that I came to realize last year was that I was spending a lot of time and money trying to make a packaged curriculum just what I wanted it to be. I took another look at WTM and found that the ideas there were so much closer to where I wanted us to be.

It is possible for anything, even WTM, to be to much. But I like the feeling of freedom to spend longer on one topic or person or culture rather than feeling like I'm falling behind a packaged schedule.

Don't forget the science and engineering aspects of history. For example, the middle ages had water wheels for grinding grain, trebuchets, castle building, developments in stirrups and armor, expanding maritime technology, and the plague.

I've become convinced that a large portion of the questions provided in a curriculum are either similar to or inferior to the questions that an average kid will come up with on his own. After all, this is a stage when our kids are just full of why questions. Use that tendency.

I really liked these two things that you mentioned---very helpful!

Could you get a history encyclopedia like this one...http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-History-Encyclopedia-Editors/dp/0753457849/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1296688168&sr=8-6

It's only about 15.00, and then you could just go through it chronologically picking up library books to go with the major time periods. You could look online to find lots of activities to go with people or places that your dc find interesting. They could outline the encyclopedia and write summaries from the books that you are reading...it doesn't have to be formal and textbooky. Oh wait...this is exactly what WTM suggests...I knew I read this somewhere before!:tongue_smilie:Anyway, HO is mostly just a schedule of books and WTM style writing assignments to go along with it. You could duplicate it yourself using their booklist.

Ambleside Online's schedule is free and most of their books are public domain.

Guest Hallow is free.

I'm in the middle of making dinner so that is all I can think of but I know there is tons of free resources...I'm sure others will chime in if they haven't already while I've been typing!

I second these suggestions... here's a link to guesthollow http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/ancient/books.html

Also I prefer Usborne World History Internet linked Encyclopedia(bought Amazon, $12), a lot of the internet links are wonderful and very engaging. The Internet link application is great for older kids who can explore on their own. We recently bought K12 Human Odyssey (for middle grades) and it's very in depth but also interesting for a textbook. I got it used at Amazon for $11 (great deal). Add some "living books" from the library and you should be good.

Blessedmom, thanks for that great resource, Heritage History, idea. I'm feeling a little more confident.:001_smile:

Oh, you are so welcome! I love that site.

You might find this helpful as well, as most of the resources cited are free online. It has schedules, which is a big help for me!!:D

http://oldfashionededucation.com/fullcurriculum.htm

History done TWTM way is not expensive. It has been our cheapest subject this year. Now, math and science I spend a fortune, but history has been easy and complete.

I bought one history encyclopedia (I use useborne internet linked), I use Kingfisher history of the Ancient world (2$ used) and some library books for narration, outlining.

I match our reading schedule to SOTW because I have a grammar stage younger child and the boys like to be together. It has been so easy to just find the corresponding chapter in the Kingfisher book etc. That way, I know ds1, logic stage child, is covering what he should cover but doing it at a logic level.

I prob spend less than 30$ this year on history and everything is progressing very well.