Menu

Has anyone used Spelling Plus?

mhornby56

My daughter just turned 5 in December. She would be starting K in the fall. We have been using Funnix for reading and that is going well. I think I would like to introduce spelling in the fall, but I want to keep it pretty laid back. I know AAS is a great program and highly recommended. I just don't know if I want to use that for a 5-6 year old. It seems pretty pricey and perhaps more involved than I want right now. I read about Spelling Plus in a couple of threads, but I can't find much info about it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Should I just bite the bullet and use AAS?

I used it for a while and recommend it for all my remedial students. You can see a few sample pages at cbd and rainbow resource, I think.

I quit using it becaue my daughter did a ton of spelling practice for a spelling bee and other materials were better for that. After all that studying, other materials out there are a better fit for her, but I still think Spelling Plus is the most efficient way to teach the rules with lists of words grouped by rule and sound spelling pattern.

we use it & totally love it! it really doesn't have a K level though....there are only a dozen words maybe?? i'm using it with my son in grade 1, and we also use the dictation book (which i highly recommend). i discovered it when looking for a curriculum for my daughter. she used AAS 1&2 and was still struggling. she spells fairly well now, and it's been a perfect fit for her - so i just use it with my son as well. i can't imagine switching, although i do supplement with apples daily spelling drills for my daughter. hth.

• 1 year later...

No, the dictation book does not throw unknown/surprise words at them. We've used Spelling Plus & Dictation for about a year and a half now and are very happy with it. We started with my girls in K & 1st, but they were both fluently reading when we began. Not sure if that would make a difference in how effective it is. I have many friends who use and love AAS but it's not a good fit for us since my girls don't seem to need quite that much for spelling (they pick up the rules quickly and SP gives them enough for mastery).

No, the dictation book does not throw unknown/surprise words at them. We've used Spelling Plus & Dictation for about a year and a half now and are very happy with it. We started with my girls in K & 1st, but they were both fluently reading when we began. Not sure if that would make a difference in how effective it is. I have many friends who use and love AAS but it's not a good fit for us since my girls don't seem to need quite that much for spelling (they pick up the rules quickly and SP gives them enough for mastery).

I'm excited about trying this. First I latched onto McGuffey's Word List, and that sent me on a search for complimentary resources, and secondly I found this word study blog and now I think this might be my missing link.

My tutoring students are not capable of applying cursive handwriting and spelling skills that they have not been TAUGHT. I need sequential resources that teach EVERYTHING one step at a time, and then we need to take the slow and steady and narrow route, to MASTER just the most important and common.

Thank VA3663 for the confirmation of what I hoped for.