Menu

Will you pray that we find a rental?

We realize that we are not the ideal tenants on paper - bad credit, low income (relatively), large family, and pets. We are willing to pay a double deposit if necessary.

Will you just pray that we find something that we can afford in a decent area, not too far from therapy/doctors/etc.? I'd really like to find something right by dh's work, but then we'd have to convince someone to rent us a house that is teachnically more than we can afford. If we rent what we can "afford" then we will spend an extra $200-300 a month in gas for commuting (and negate any savings from paying less!)

Also pray that my dh will realize that he isn't going to get what he wants? And that some of his wants aren't good for the rest of us? He wants to live in the middle of nowhere, but I don't want to have to drive 45 minutes each way to therapy 4-5 times per week! I'd live in an apt. if it meant better opportunities for the dc, but he says no way.:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, pray for us!

We realize that we are not the ideal tenants on paper - bad credit, low income (relatively), large family, and pets. We are willing to pay a double deposit if necessary.

:grouphug: Renee, I'm praying.

I want to encourage you. We recently rented our house to a couple whose credit history included a recent foreclosure, and they have two large dogs. With the economy the way it is, it can be a challenge to find "ideal" tenants. Your situation is not so unusual. Owners who want to rent will find a much bigger pool of renters if they allow pets; a lot of families have struggled with unemployment and credit issues over the past few years; as people move and cannot sell their homes, the rental market has opened up so there's more competition for renters.

We have a second rental. Our tenant has been there for a year, and she mentioned not renewing the lease. We offered her a $50 a month discount if she signed for another year. It was a good deal for both of us--she gets a great discount, and we have guaranteed income for another year (well, under ideal circumstances, if she doesn't break the lease). It made more sense for us to take a $600 a year loss; if she moved, we'd lose at least that much if the house were empty for a month. Oh yeah, she has a couple of dogs too.

Will you just pray that we find something that we can afford in a decent area, not too far from therapy/doctors/etc.? I'd really like to find something right by dh's work, but then we'd have to convince someone to rent us a house that is teachnically more than we can afford. If we rent what we can "afford" then we will spend an extra $200-300 a month in gas for commuting (and negate any savings from paying less!)

Also pray that my dh will realize that he isn't going to get what he wants? And that some of his wants aren't good for the rest of us? He wants to live in the middle of nowhere, but I don't want to have to drive 45 minutes each way to therapy 4-5 times per week! I'd live in an apt. if it meant better opportunities for the dc, but he says no way.:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, pray for us!

And where it Renee you're looking to move...which side of town? I just saw one the other day that went up "for rent", but I don't know if y'all would be looking on our side of town.

And where it Renee you're looking to move...which side of town? I just saw one the other day that went up "for rent", but I don't know if y'all would be looking on our side of town.

Not totally sure which side of town is yours, but ideally we would be in the Hope Valley Road area of Durham. His work is there, the therapists are there, the Hill Center is there, etc. Another possibility is anywhere in Chapel Hill (but not likely given our limited budget.:tongue_smilie:)

We are also looking in Orange County as a possibility to give us both what we want. I've got two places I'd like to look at there this weekend.

Wake Forest would be good, but I haven't seen anything in our price range there.

Dh says he is willing to commute 45 minutes or more, but that would possibly mean that *I* would be commuting that far and that doesn't make me happy.;)

We're going to simply drive around the areas we are interested in and look for "For Rent" signs.

ETA: I am happy to live in a small place and/or a trailer to get the right location. I just don't want bad neighborhood.

Edited by Renee in FL

:D

:grouphug: Renee, I'm praying.

I want to encourage you. We recently rented our house to a couple whose credit history included a recent foreclosure, and they have two large dogs. With the economy the way it is, it can be a challenge to find "ideal" tenants. Your situation is not so unusual. Owners who want to rent will find a much bigger pool of renters if they allow pets; a lot of families have struggled with unemployment and credit issues over the past few years; as people move and cannot sell their homes, the rental market has opened up so there's more competition for renters.

We have a second rental. Our tenant has been there for a year, and she mentioned not renewing the lease. We offered her a $50 a month discount if she signed for another year. It was a good deal for both of us--she gets a great discount, and we have guaranteed income for another year (well, under ideal circumstances, if she doesn't break the lease). It made more sense for us to take a $600 a year loss; if she moved, we'd lose at least that much if the house were empty for a month. Oh yeah, she has a couple of dogs too.

I hope that others think the way you do. Thanks!

Praying -- We have been in a similar situation -- and right now, with the economy the way it is, trust me, you are a family and you need a place to live -- you are infinitely more attractive as renters than you think you are.

And, have you looked on Craigslist?

Let us know how it turns out.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

They do! We just moved into a HUGE historic home and the landlord lowered the rent $200 for us--don't be afraid to ASK for what you need. If they see that you have a budget in mind, your less than perfect credit score may matter less. Many people will work with you. Good references from previous landlords are nice, but our previous landlord was AWFUL and would not recommend us!! We ended up in this house, with the landlord paying our water/sewer bill, too, in an area that was further out than we thought we'd go...and it's working out very well.

I know that something will turn up for you!

We realize that we are not the ideal tenants on paper - bad credit, low income (relatively), large family, and pets.

You sound like us... we are in the same boat :( 7 kids, 2 adults crammed into a 3 bedroom duplex for over a year... we REALLY *need* something BIGGER... *sigh*

Not totally sure which side of town is yours, but ideally we would be in the Hope Valley Road area of Durham. His work is there, the therapists are there, the Hill Center is there, etc. Another possibility is anywhere in Chapel Hill (but not likely given our limited budget.:tongue_smilie:)

We are also looking in Orange County as a possibility to give us both what we want. I've got two places I'd like to look at there this weekend.

Wake Forest would be good, but I haven't seen anything in our price range there.

Dh says he is willing to commute 45 minutes or more, but that would possibly mean that *I* would be commuting that far and that doesn't make me happy.;)

We're going to simply drive around the areas we are interested in and look for "For Rent" signs.

ETA: I am happy to live in a small place and/or a trailer to get the right location. I just don't want bad neighborhood.

Renee, I feel so bad. I know I've posted to you before, but how did I get this mixed up? I thought you were moving to Charlotte and today on my walk I saw a house for rent....just went up. Oh dear, I "may" need to adjust my glasses from reading to prescription...:lol: Sorry for the confusion and you WILL find something. Hang in there.