Menu

need hamburger and potatoe recipe

I made hamburger gravy one time that was completely dairy free. I browned the beef with a little onion and snow peas, then added two cups or there abouts of chicken broth (you could use water and herbed chicken bullion if you have it) and brought to a simmer. I thickened it with flour and served it over a bed of garlic mashed potatoes that I had added just a little of the broth to so that they blended up nice and creamy.

Everyone licked their plates and asked for more! (Well, the licking part is euphemistic for all but the youngest who actually tried to lick his plate when he thought we weren't looking. We do try to teach manners!)

Faith

OOO...we love vegetable soup!!! We had it for dinner last night w/ hot crusty rolls & everyone is begging for it again tonight (that doesn't happen often around here)! Anyway, here is the recipe...very simple!

Vegetable Soup

1lb. hamburger

1 tsp. salt

2 onions, chopped (optional)

2-3c. carrots, chopped

2-3c. potatoes, chopped

1-2c. celery, chopped

1/2tsp. basil

1/4 tsp. rosemary

1/4-1/2 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. chili powder

1tsp. salt

2c. tomato juice

2c. peas (optional)

Brown hamburger, onions, and salt. In a large kettle (5-6qt. stock pot works great), cook together carrots, potatoes, and celery (I cook them in 4c. chicken broth &4c. water). Add browned meat, herbs, seasonings, and tomato juice. Simmer 30-60 minutes. Just before serving add the peas.

*this could also be easily done in the crockpot!

I'd have bbqed (or fried, depending on your weather) hamburger patties and mashed potatoes, and add some sort of vegetable or canned fruit. An alternative would be the hamburger patties and homemade steak fries/potato wedges in the oven. They're loads healthier than store-bought fries, and my kids would find them a novelty.