Menu

X-post: What do you do with your kids during convention?

Aludlam

We're planning on attending our very first convention next month in Memphis. I'm curious as to what everyone does with their kids during the convention. We are local, so the kids will be with us most of the time, or else one of will stay home with them. Dh has taken half a week off work to be able to attend/baby sit. I've read before that people do take their kids, so what do you do with them during lectures? Do they sit quietly (:lol:) and listen? My littles could sit for an hour, but all day??? What about seating room? Any help in figuring this out would be most welcome. I am so VERY excited about this. I can't wait until they finally post the schedule!

i've never taken my kids, but I have seen some kids sit quietly in the hall and play together (card game, small cars, etc.) - they were sitting right against the wall so as to not block traffic, and quiet so that they weren't disturbing the discussions.

I've seen parents sitting in the more common areas with kids playing (not louly, but not particularly quietly either, kwim?).

I was in a talk once last year where a mom let her kid play with a ball and the ball went under chairs so instead of listening, everyone was getting the ball from under their chair for the kid. I guess that's better than dodging it from hitting us in the head :001_huh: the same lady had a dog (yes a DOG) in her stroller who she kept leaning down and giving water out of a cup to. the whole thing was SO distracting.

I've seen kids sit and do little activity pads and such as that too.

there is usually a booth or two with games for sale and they set the games up for kids to play.

I can't imagine not wanting to kill my kids by then end of a day, so i've never taken them :)

I always leave mine at home with dh or a sitter if he isn't available. It's my time to recharge and get inspiration and dh gets that. He's not terribly interested in going himself and honestly I'm kind of glad. I like to have those few days to myself to reflect and check out seminars and curriculum. I know a lot of people bring their kids but I can't imagine having to bring mine. I wouldn't be able to focus if I did.

I always leave mine at home with dh or a sitter if he isn't available. It's my time to recharge and get inspiration and dh gets that. He's not terribly interested in going himself and honestly I'm kind of glad. I like to have those few days to myself to reflect and check out seminars and curriculum. I know a lot of people bring their kids but I can't imagine having to bring mine. I wouldn't be able to focus if I did.

:iagree:Many of the conventions, in my area anyway, do not allow kids older than young infants into sessions. I appreciate that though, I love the rule, honestly. It's going to be expensive for my Dh to take my kiddos to a kid's museum, or science museum when we go since we aren't local, but it's 100% worth it for me to have that time to recharge and really *talk* to the vendors I'm interested in seeing. I'm hoping the indoor pool at the hotel keeps them occupied for a day, but we'll see.

My kids would be way too distracting to have there with me..it makes me shudder to think of them *having* to be there with me! I love my children, but they are not the 'play quietly' type. :lol:

Grandma comes to my house for a couple of days. My dd loves it.

I have found it it amazing (and admittedly very disruptive) in the 4 conventions I've been to that people will bring very small children into sessions. Nursing infants are completely understandable, but it seems crazy to expect toddlers and preschoolers to stay quiet and non-disruptive for hours. Personally, I would get nothing out of a convention if I had little kids with me but I'm sure some people feel like they have no alternative.

Mine IS a play-quietly type, but I cannot imagine taking her...I want to pay attention to interesting workshops and focus on ME! I completely understand about nurslings, and I'm not giving the folks who bring their kids a hard time, but it can be distracting. Dog in a stroller - CRAZY! Her, I'm giving a hard time! (See? I NEED to pay attention during grammar workshops...) :)

(((sigh))) We have not been able to go to a convention for years now.

"Back in the day" we used to farm the kiddies out among friends at church and enjoy a "couples' getaway" even though the convention was about an 1 hr away driving distance. The hotel rate for the night was outstanding ($75). We'd go to the convention on Friday evening, go out to dinner afterward, enjoy the pool and jacuzzi at the hotel...

Next morning, we'd enjoy a huge breakfast and attend the convention all day Saturday.

Like someone said, it was a time to recharge and refresh. As a couple, it was a great time to reconnect and get on the same page with homeschooling.

I don't want to discourage you from bringing the children if you wanted to. There were always many families in attendance and I've never noticed a problem. :D

This has been on my mind, too. The conference I am going to is not local, so I don't have the option of just going for the day, or leaving the kids with a sitter for a few hours. I also do not live near any family, so going to grandma's won't work. :glare: (oh, how I wish we lived near my mom!!)

Our plan was to go as a family to the city, and DH will do things with the kids while I am at the conference. I am very sad because I do wish that DH and I could go to the conference together, it would be a wonderful thing to share with him. I take care of most of the decisions and actual schooling, but it would be nice to go listen to lectures together, look through curricula, etc. I am just bummed that I will be alone. Yes, I'll have fun, and I am excited to go. But I would be SUPER EXCITED to be able to share it with DH.

I know that my kids would be bored and go crazy after an hour or two, so I don't even want to attempt to take them.