Menu

Homemade "box mixes"

I'm thinking cakes, brownies, yummy stuff like that - if you make your own, would you mind sharing recipes? I read on a recent website (linked from here, I believe) about a gal who makes these things up ahead of time and just pulls them out when she wants to make them. So, things like just add eggs or butter or milk - type recipes.

I am at this very instant posting step by step photos for gluten free chocolate chipcookies on 'please don't eat the daisies' (link below). I expect to have them up by 12:30pm.

These are from a Betty Crocker store bought mix. Tomorrow, I am putting up photos, etc for gluten free chocolate chip cookies from scratch.

If you would like to comment, pls do so on the blog.

Thank you so much!

I make mixes for crock-pot oatmeal. I use large (4-cup) yogurt containers and put in one recipe's worth of ingredients in each. I leave out the apple and the milk, but put in oats, sugar, raisins, spices, etc. I make about 8 at a time. I've done the same thing for homemade bread, pizza dough, etc. I write what's in the container with a Sharpie, and make a note of what needs to be added on a recipe card I keep with the mixes. You can do this with any recipe - just include the dry ingredients, and leave out the wet ones.

Pancakes in a Mason Jar.

1 1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 TB sugar

In the morning, mix 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 TB oil...add to mason jar and stir.

I sometimes use dry milk in the jar so I just have to add water, but regular milk is just as cheap these days.

I like using home-milled soft white wheat flour for these....delicious!!!:drool:

I love this book for homemade mixes....I find it very easy to do and so far the ones we have tried, I LOVE...

Amazon.com: Make-A-Mix (9780762426027): Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward, Madeline Westover: Books it is so nice to have my mixes in glass jars labled all ready to use...brownines, cream soup, cookies, cakes, salad dressings, taco seasoning, etc....

I make homemade mixed for convience & savings. Box mixes here in NZ are very expensive (i.e. a box of Betty Crocker brownies cost over $5 :ohmy: ) I just made up a bunch of mixes & sent dd off to uni with them. My favorites are:

Coconut muffins (just add water)

Scones (just add water)

Lentil / Rice Taco filling (just add water)

Brownies

Pancakes

Basic muffin mix

All of the above mixes, except scones, are shelf stable. The scone mixes I store in the freezer as they have butter in them. If we could get shortening here in NZ, there are many bisquick-type mixes that would be shelf stable. It takes me only an hour or so to make up a few dozen mixes. I store them in qt. size ziploc bags & write the cooking instructions on the bag. I then put each type of mix in a larger ziploc bag. When dd comes home at Easter I'll have another batch for her to take back with her. I like knowing that if $ gets tight towards the end of term, she'll have a supply of "just add water" mixes to cook up. She was very popular in the student flats last year with her baking ;).

Blessings,

Pancakes in a Mason Jar.

1 1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 TB sugar

In the morning, mix 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 TB oil...add to mason jar and stir.

I sometimes use dry milk in the jar so I just have to add water, but regular milk is just as cheap these days.

I like using home-milled soft white wheat flour for these....delicious!!!:drool:

how many pancakes does this make? thanks for posting!