Menu

CLE Math and Rightstart Geometry

Mom0012

My daughter is using CLE and just zips through the lessons. I love this math program, but I want to supplement with RS Geometry at some point because I think she'd enjoy it and because I'd like to slow her down a little in CLE. Does anyone know what level of CLE she should complete before beginning RS Geometry?

Thanks!

Lisa

Is this the older dd? RS G is a follow-up to RS E, roughly a 4th/5th gr level. It's written to the student, so the maturity to do that is more important.

Elizabeth, she turned 9 in November and she's using CLE 4. She's in third grade this year, but I was thinking maybe she could start to supplement with RS geometry after CLE 4, but I wasn't sure. At that point, she will be close to 10 yo. She's a very independent little worker and does most of CLE math and CLE LA with minimal help from me.

By the end of CLE 4, she will be familiar with adding and subtracting fractions with like denominators, decimals, multiplying multidigit numbers, and long division. I'm not sure if she will cover percents, though. I guess I really need to pull up a sample of the TOC for Rightstart E.

Lisa

Elizabeth, she turned 9 in November and she's using CLE 4. She's in third grade this year, but I was thinking maybe she could start to supplement with RS geometry after CLE 4, but I wasn't sure. At that point, she will be close to 10 yo. She's a very independent little worker and does most of CLE math and CLE LA with minimal help from me.

By the end of CLE 4, she will be familiar with adding and subtracting fractions with like denominators, decimals, multiplying multidigit numbers, and long division. I'm not sure if she will cover percents, though. I guess I really need to pull up a sample of the TOC for Rightstart E.

Lisa

Lisa,

She needs percents, ration and working with fractions without like denominators. It also wouldn't hurt to have some experience with simple Algebra problems. Through about half of E you solve simple problems like 8-a=18/6 as part of the warm up to get the child used seeing and solving algebra type problems.

That said RS Geometry has a lot of drawing of figures at the beginning, so as long as she was going to cover those topics soon in CLE, so would be fine starting earlier.

Heather

Lisa,

She needs percents, ration and working with fractions without like denominators. It also wouldn't hurt to have some experience with simple Algebra problems. Through about half of E you solve simple problems like 8-a=18/6 as part of the warm up to get the child used seeing and solving algebra type problems.

That said RS Geometry has a lot of drawing of figures at the beginning, so as long as she was going to cover those topics soon in CLE, so would be fine starting earlier.

Heather

Thanks, Heather! It looks like it might be best to start using this somewhere in the middle or the end of CLE 5. That's very helpful. I have Hands On Equations and maybe I'll supplement with that until we are ready for RS's Geometry. She enjoyed the drawing lessons so much in Level C of Rightstart, I always wanted to come back and have her do their Geometry program.

Lisa

Thanks, Heather! It looks like it might be best to start using this somewhere in the middle or the end of CLE 5. That's very helpful. I have Hands On Equations and maybe I'll supplement with that until we are ready for RS's Geometry. She enjoyed the drawing lessons so much in Level C of Rightstart, I always wanted to come back and have her do their Geometry program.

Lisa

Lisa,

Yep, HOE would be a good source for those simple problems. If you add the word problem book, it gets much more complicated and goes way beyond what RS covers, but it is good stuff. My oldest is actually do HOE as well, but just one problem a day, becuase they often overwhelm her. She does slow and incremental. :D

Heather

Lisa,

Yep, HOE would be a good source for those simple problems. If you add the word problem book, it gets much more complicated and goes way beyond what RS covers, but it is good stuff. My oldest is actually do HOE as well, but just one problem a day, becuase they often overwhelm her. She does slow and incremental. :D

Heather

Heather - I have my ds11 doing HOE and I know what you mean! We do 2 problems 2 days a week from the word problem book. He's been working through that book for 1 and 1/2 years and he's almost completed all the level 1 problems. We work through each section together and then I have him go back and slowly redo each section himself. They are very challenging and I have a hard time figuring many of them out myself without taking a peek at the solutions. :001_smile:

Lisa