Menu

First grade science decisions

musicianmom

Which science for first grade?  

1. 1. Which science for first grade?

• Apologia
    • WTM rotation (such as Elemental Science)
    • Use Handbook of Nature Study as Ambleside recommends
    • Let the enrichment program count as science
    • Other

I'm looking for advice on two fronts. Academically, which approach do you prefer? And given my life circumstances, what would you advise?

-- very bright, possibly gifted first grader

-- two little ones who aren't the least bit interested in tagging along with sister's schoolwork

-- disorganized mom who has a very hard time getting the munchkins outside on a regular basis, and likes curriculum that's easy to follow

Science fell apart this year. I justified it because dd goes to an enrichment program one day a week, and they do science there. So I could fall back on that again next year, but I really think she's capable of more.

Other curriculum plans include Ambleside Year 1, some form of math, and whatever level of AAS she's in by then.

Edited by musicianmom

I just bought Elemental, in part because it follows the WTM guidelines. If you don't want that, maybe check out Living Learning Books Science. We're using it this year, but I don't think it's too well-known. Its years parallel the WTM guidelines also. It is VERY light - hard for it to fall apart bc it's basically a list of good books you can reserve from your library, combined with easy activities, in a reasonably sensible order. You probably won't need the student pack for this, bc it's basically colouring pages.

All the information is stuff you could PROBABLY find on the Internet and piece together yourself, but I am enjoying having it all in one place and not having to make any decisions. And we are all LOVING the books! Since there are zero "lessons", it seems like a curriculum CM would definitely approve of. Of course, with any topic your kid is especially interested in, you can easily put the lesson plans on hold and take an extra week or two to go in-depth and do more hard science if she enjoys it!

BTW, if you go with this curriculum, the little ones won't KNOW they're going along with science, because they'll just be listening to books around a given theme. :-)))

(and they may just find something to interest them, as well)

Elemental Science-short lessons, everything planned out, WTM method

Sonlight Science-short lessons, lessons plans to follow, reading(app 2 pages/day) and worksheets provided(2 questions a day)

Both of these are really easy to do daily as neither take much time. Both also have experiments scheduled once a week. Sonlight sells kits with most everything included, Elemental Science is in the beginning stages of putting together kits. HTH!

I'll be honest. I'm using Elemental Science Intro this year, and I keep putting it off. Last week we did no science. Yesterday I got out of doing science because DS took 2 hours to do his math.

I think for me, the key to doing science is having EVERYTHING prepared already. I've heard that the Apologia science kits at Nature's Workshop Plus are supposed to be really good and have everything in labeled baggies. THAT is what I need to get science done.

I also have a similar child situation. I do science during afternoon nap time. The littlest one has nap time, the middle one has quiet time, where he can play in his room, but he must stay in his room except to go to the bathroom. This way, I can work uninterrupted with the first grader! We do a good majority of our school work during nap/quiet time.

For next year, I'm planning to make a science kit ahead of time, with labeled baggies like the Apologia kits have. If I do this during my lesson planning period, hopefully that will encourage me to get science done! It's on my schedule (I put everything in HST+, because again, I wouldn't get it done if I didn't have a checklist of things to do... my son will read the list and say "Mama! We didn't do xyz!" :D). History is getting done, and I like science better than history. It's weird. It's just the experiment thing for me. I have to gather supplies, sometimes make substitutions (we're supposed to use clear film cannisters for freezing stuff this week, and I'm going to try an ice cube tray instead).

I wish I'd worried less about getting science done when my older boys were younger. Science is fun. Kids are naturally drawn to science type things without realizing it's science, so it's super easy to sneak it in as play.

I would let the enrichment program count as "formal science". Then watch your child, and watch what catches her interest. Then check out library books, watch videos, and get any related science kits you can afford. But don't worry about making it formal or using a specific curriculum.

Enjoy this time without a science cloud hanging over your head :001_smile:.

Hi,

I am very much enjoying Elemental Science Biology with my 7 year old. It takes only a few minutes each day and she is retaining alot of information. We only have about two weeks left which says alot....this is the only science that we have used completely from cover to cover. I have also heard good things about this http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ClassicScienceLife.htm

as well and life science is totally free.

HTH,

Penny

I did the enrichment program thing this year with my academically accelerated DD, plus letting her go to the library, pick out books about a topic that interested her, and just read and explore on her own. The Simon Basher Science books have been great (we found one in a bookstore, and ended up buying the rest on Amazon). But nothing structured.

For next year, I was able to get the older version of MPH science inexpensively, and I plan to let DD read them, pick topics, and use that to drive her ideas, plus keep her in the once a week enrichment class.

I wish I'd worried less about getting science done when my older boys were younger. Science is fun. Kids are naturally drawn to science type things without realizing it's science, so it's super easy to sneak it in as play.

I would let the enrichment program count as "formal science". Then watch your child, and watch what catches her interest. Then check out library books, watch videos, and get any related science kits you can afford. But don't worry about making it formal or using a specific curriculum.

:iagree:

This is my plan for 1st - let the kids lead the way. It's been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Then watch your child, and watch what catches her interest. Then check out library books, watch videos, and get any related science kits you can afford. But don't worry about making it formal or using a specific curriculum.

While I completely agree with this method, I end up NOT getting any science done if it's not planned. Really, I don't do things that aren't in my plan. It's a fault, but oh well.

Plus whenever I try checking out books from the library, they end up being either too babyish or too over his head. I have a really hard time finding the right fit. And experiments? I'm certainly never getting around to doing experiments unless I have it in my schedule to do xyz experiment. I just don't feel like doing an experiment, so it has to be planned. My son will ask "Are we doing science today?", and if I don't have something planned already, it's hard to fit it in OR get me motivated to do it.

What's someone like me supposed to do? :lol:

:iagree: Enjoy science. Kids naturally love it and and soak it up. Let them choose science kits when you can afford them, ask for them as birthday and Christmas presents and keep them on hand for when the kids are interested. Take them to the library and let them get non-fiction books.

My K dd is also in an enrichment program once a week - I use that for formal science, and she chooses a science book everyweek as her library book. It has been exciting watching her develop her own interest in science.

While I completely agree with this method, I end up NOT getting any science done if it's not planned. Really, I don't do things that aren't in my plan. It's a fault, but oh well.

Plus whenever I try checking out books from the library, they end up being either too babyish or too over his head. I have a really hard time finding the right fit. And experiments? I'm certainly never getting around to doing experiments unless I have it in my schedule to do xyz experiment. I just don't feel like doing an experiment, so it has to be planned. My son will ask "Are we doing science today?", and if I don't have something planned already, it's hard to fit it in OR get me motivated to do it.

You know, I was really frustrated about this, as well. I just kept looking and now I am familiar with the books that are a good fit with my kids. Sometimes I look at them and think, yeah, they look a little baby-ish, but sometimes there is more information packed into those little books than even I know!

Our favorites are:

Rookie Read About

First Step Nonfiction

Let's Read and Find Out

...many more!

You know, I was really frustrated about this, as well. I just kept looking and now I am familiar with the books that are a good fit with my kids. Sometimes I look at them and think, yeah, they look a little baby-ish, but sometimes there is more information packed into those little books than even I know!

Our favorites are:

Rookie Read About

First Step Nonfiction

Let's Read and Find Out

...many more!

Thanks! I'll have to look for those. Now that I have access to a bigger library system, I will hopefully have better luck finding science books. :)

We're doing Handbook of Nature Study with the seasonal guides found here:

handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com

I need some sort of curriculum framework, don't think I could fly by the seat of my pants and I've printed out all four seasons and they look not only do-able but I think I can get my 3 year old involved as well in little ways which is a bonus for me.

I have two little ones as well and I thought the outside time and nature journaling would be the easiest for me, though I am worried about the winter months! The plan is to just use what is right in our own backyard and really, it should only take 15-30 minutes 2 or so times a week. The Shining Dawn nature unit study supplements also are giving me an additional curriculum for each season and a lot of that can be done inside, with books and drawing and things like that. (Fruit and Nuts, Butterflies, Snow and Ice and Plant Cycle)

(I haven't actually used this yet, it is just a plan, so take this for what it is worth!)

Good luck choosing!

I think we're going with Elemental Science (Intro b/c I'll have a 4y/o tagging along) but we already do a lot of nature study and will continue to. I am thinking of using BFSU as a supplement too? Probably too much and I expect in the actual doing I'll find out what works for us!

I am you :lol:. You let it go. Really. Even if you never, ever, ever do an experiment at this age, or read him any books, it will be fine. Pretty soon (if he's not already) he will be reading on his own. Then you go to the library and check books out. Leave them about. He'll read them on his own. Pretty soon he'll be old enough to do the science experiments that interest him on his own.

When my oldest was 6, I planned science because if I didn't it wouldn't get done. But you know what? I planned it and it was still always the first thing to get crossed off the schedule when we were running behind or life happened and messed up my perfect plans (look at the ages of my boys--life happened almost daily :lol:).

Looking back, almost the same amount of formal science was completed. Sure, we got in a few extra lessons because I planned them, but mostly I just suffered guilt and frustration because I wasn't getting it done. The negative emotions I experienced weren't worth the few extra lessons the boys received.

I'm looking for advice on two fronts. Academically, which approach do you prefer? And given my life circumstances, what would you advise?

-- very bright, possibly gifted first grader

-- two little ones who aren't the least bit interested in tagging along with sister's schoolwork

-- disorganized mom who has a very hard time getting the munchkins outside on a regular basis, and likes curriculum that's easy to follow

Science fell apart this year. I justified it because dd goes to an enrichment program one day a week, and they do science there. So I could fall back on that again next year, but I really think she's capable of more.

Other curriculum plans include Ambleside Year 1, some form of math, and whatever level of AAS she's in by then.

Elemental Science! www.elementalscience.com It is hands down the most interesting, well put together, classical approach to Science I have ever used. We love it!

I'll be honest. I'm using Elemental Science Intro this year, and I keep putting it off. Last week we did no science. Yesterday I got out of doing science because DS took 2 hours to do his math.

ROFL...my ds would never allow me to forget his Elemental Science. He loves it so much! He actually makes me save it for last thing in the day because he wants to "save the best for last."

Judomom, thank you! I'll have to think about that. I would like to do the weather section of RSO E&S since I know my son would love it, but maybe that could be a summer project and we could try doing it your way. I like the idea, especially since I want him to keep his enthusiasm for science. He can read all the books himself. He isn't ready to do experiments himself, but maybe in a couple years he could?

I have heard wonderful things about NOEO science and REAL Science Odyssey. They come with everything you need and have a couple of short lessons throughout the week. The experiments coincide with the lessons (unlike Sonlight from what I have heard). Supposedly, they get kids excited about learning science. I haven't decided which one I am going to use yet since my DS is only going to be in kindergarten!

Since your daughter is young I would just let the enrichment class she takes count as science.

Whenever you get a chance you can read some science-y type books to her. Read some nonfiction and fiction with science intertwined like the Magic School Bus books. Do an experiment every now and then if you feel like it. Let her take care of a tadpole. Watch some NOVA documentaries or a show on the science channel.

This is plenty for a 5 year old. When your littlest ones are a bit older it will be easier to plan for a more organized science.

At this age they learn so much from stories and just exploring, I would take advantage of this now.

I just pick a text and read aloud a page or two a day. It adds up over time.

We also feed the squirrels, and bird houses, bird feeders, and a bird bath to attract animals. We keep binoculars right by the sliding glass door to the back yard, so they can look at what ever animals are there when they feel like it.

Very doable, even when you are disorganized.

Heather