Menu

Need Netflix Suggestions - a series of some kind

Dh and I are looking for something to watch on Netflix. I doesn't need to be appropriate for children because we are watching after their bedtime.

We have watched and enjoyed:

Firefly

Doctor Who

Torchwood

Survivor Man (but I'm not looking for reality TV)

We also like:

Fringe

CSI

House

Survivor

Any suggestions?

Death Note? It's an anime series, but both DH and I love it. You have to give it the first sev episodes to build up steam, but it essentially looks at the downfall (both physical and psychological) of a kid who is given the ability to kill anyone he wants.

I also second Eureka.

Dead Like Me

Tin Man (SyFy mini-series take on Wizard of Oz)

Alice (SyFy mini-series on Alice in Wonderland - Kathy Bates is the Queen of Hearts)

Ergo Proxy (another dark sci-fi anime series)

Darker Than Black (anime)

the Last Exile (anime)

Scrapped Princess (anime)

I don't know how your tastes run, so some of these might be out of the question for you.

If you like British tv, I'd suggest Doc Martin. Love the British sense of humor! :D

I love this one too!!

What about:

IT Crowd (British comedy series)...hillarious

Black Adder (Rowan Atkinson)

The Worst Week Of My Life (another BBC comedy)

The Vicar of Dibley (Dawn French..British comedy)

Father Ted

Yep, I am a sucker for Brit comedies!

I love this one too!!

What about:

IT Crowd (British comedy series)...hillarious

Black Adder (Rowan Atkinson)

The Worst Week Of My Life (another BBC comedy)

The Vicar of Dibley (Dawn French..British comedy)

Father Ted

Yep, I am a sucker for Brit comedies!

:iagree:

On the raunchier side, there's Saxondale and Party Down (not British)

Have you watched Parks and Recreation?

Dh and I are looking for something to watch on Netflix. I doesn't need to be appropriate for children because we are watching after their bedtime.

Firefly

Doctor Who

Torchwood

We also like:

Fringe

CSI

House

Survivor

Any suggestions?

Buffy

Charmed

Smallville

Dollhouse

Angel

Big Bang Theory

Eureka

Psych

Monk

Bones

Lie to Me

24 (you may sure you have hours availabke for this one. Every episode ends in a cliffhanger and there is never a good stopping point so it is hard to turn off)

Supernautural

Quantum Leap

Mentalist

Dexter

Sanctuary

That should get you started. :D

Aside from the obvious ones like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (which we're watching currently AGAIN), you could try the newest Whedon series, Dollhouse. We didn't love it when it was one, and it lasted only a couple of seasons, but people I trust keep telling me to try again now that it's on DVD.

After all, i didn't love Firefly when it was on broadcast, either. But now . . .

Another one we loved was Slings and Arrows. It's Canadian and follows the trials and tribulations of a Shakespearean theatre through each of three seasons. It's funny and dark and just a little trippy. One of the best shows I've seen in a very long time. And I think you can watch it instantly through Netflix.

We also enjoy some of the other shows folks have mentioned: Psych, 30 Rock (one of my personal favorites), etc.

Oh! I know another one we really like: Leverage. It's still on TV, but we've been watching on DVD from Netflix to catch up. It's about a group of theives and con artists who team up for good causes. Lots and lots of fun.

I'll think about it and maybe ask my husband to see if we can come up with any more suggestions. He watches much more TV than I do, and his viewing has included a lot of the shows already mentioned.

My thoughts on some of the earlier recommendations:

British shows:

* Ballykissangel--great combination of comedy and drama. I only watched through season 3.

* Vicar of Dibley--hilarious.

* Monarch of the Glen--eh. We quickly grew tired of the weak writing and plotting on this show, although the scenery is gorgeous and the acting good. We didn't finish this.

Whedon/Science-fiction:

* Battlestar Gallactica--great

* Buffy--perhaps not quite as good as Firefly, but still excellent Whedon

* 24--we watched the first season and were fans up until the last episode or so when the writers inserted a plot twist that ticked us off so much we stopped watching.

Other:

* Big Bang Theory--we are currently watching this. I am not a sitcom fan at all, and I think this is the funniest show ever. Great laugh therapy.

* Slings and Arrows--DH thinks this is the best TV show ever. You have to be able to tolerate a fair bit of swearing, but the acting and writing are amazing. We are seriously thinking of watching the entire three seasons again.

Didn't read all the responses but some of my favorite series:

Oz (prison drama, pretty graphic sex and violence)

Sopranos (mobsters, pretty graphic sex and violence)

Six Feet Under (drama of a family who lives in and runs a funeral home, starts out a little weird with the dead dad making appearances but it was just SO good, I really loved it- and if this series finale doesn't make you cry I don't know what will)

Queer As Folk (explicit drama about the gay culture so don't bother if that offends; I really loved the storyline and characters though.)

Prison Break (yum :D)

Fringe

Lost

Law & Order SVU (You see Elliot in a whole new light when your FIRST experience with the actor who plays him was in Oz though lol).

Those were probably my top favorites. I loved all of them. On a totally different track, I was also entertained by:

Desperate Housewives

and

Sex and the City

I'm currently watching:

True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse vampire series)

Next on my list is probably:

Dexter (sympathetic serial killer)

or

Weeds (NJ housewife grows pot in her backyard)

Firefly

Doctor Who

Torchwood

We also like:

Fringe

CSI

House

Survivor

Any suggestions?

We like many of the shows you mention, especially the sci fi. But we've also very much liked the Foyle's War series. Set in WWII, it is just a good thoughtful series. I was sad when we watched the last episode and elated when they brought it back for one more season.

You might also check out the BBC show Sherlock, which is a modern day Sherlock Holmes. The first season had three episodes and the second season is in production.

If you're looking for more drama, check out MI:5, which is very good, but has a Torchwood feel it the stories (in that a happy resolution isn't at all required). I think that in the seasons we watched, there was a complete turn over of cast from various things happening to them. Not a show to watch if you want happy endings before bed (and I didn't watch episodes when dh was traveling).

Yeah, I would definitely check out Angel or Buffy if you liked Firefly and Doctor Who. We're watching Doctor Who right now (just finished the Season 4 finale- amazing!) and I don't think I've enjoyed a show as much since we watched Angel. Buffy's not my kick, but it's definitely possible you'd like it given the shows you listed.

Also I'd suggest Pushing Daisies. It's fun and weird and really good.

How about Bones?

Robin Hood (BBC as well) and have liked them. .

Monk. Just enough suspense for me but also lighthearted.

We just finished watching Heroes on Netflix. It was really good!

If you like British tv, I'd suggest Doc Martin. Love the British sense of humor! :D

loved all of these!:iagree:

Haven't seen anyone mention

Stargate SG-1

Stargate Atlantis

There's also Stargate Universe but that hasn't caught my attention as much, but we're only partway through the first season.

And I'll second:

Buffy

Angel

Sherlock (the new one - so great!!!)

I have yet to see Lost, Big Bang Theory or the new Battlestar Galactica myself - those are ones I need to add to my Netflix queue! Right now I'm working through the New Whos and Torchwood, which I hadn't had access to before we just got Netflix!

My kids are watching Pushing Daisies - that's a fun, quirky little series, just two seasons.

If you like BBC series, ""Monarch of the Glen", "Doc Martin", ."

Oh! I know another one we really like: Leverage. It's still on TV, but we've been watching on DVD from Netflix to catch up. It's about a group of theives and con artists who team up for good causes. Lots and lots of fun.

You might also check out the BBC show Sherlock, which is a modern day Sherlock Holmes. The first season had three episodes and the second season is in production.

QUOTE]

:iagree:and of course you could always watch Firefly again.