Menu

MFW users please help!

cjgrubbs

I want to do ECC next year with my 6th, 3rd and K sons.

Background: This is our first year homeschooling and after using Simply Charlotte Mason, I just felt they weren't getting enough history. We've been studying Ancient Egypt all year but nothing about CHina or other civilizations during this time. I enjoyed how we were learning it with the Bible but just felt we needed more. So I have purchased MOH to finish us out this year. I like MOH and how it also has the Bible and history and the timeline suggestions, but my oldest enjoys the reading and I can tell this is going to move fast. I think I can live with that so I have picked a few readers to coordinate with the times that we will study and he will read those to finish out our year. The activities are great for my now 2nd grader as he is very kinesthic.

My plan has been to do ECC from My Father's World next year and then pick up in their 5 year cycle, skipping ancients, since we are doing it this year. I long for my children to know more about other cultures and countries to realize how blessed they are. I love that you read missionary stories and pray for other countries (foreign mission work is something DH discuss and pray about regularly, but with a 10 yr old, not sure any group would send us!) However, I just worry ECC too light. We were getting good in-depth study with Simply Charlotte Mason, but missing lots of other history. Getting lots of little snippets of history but not too in-depth with MOH. My other concern is that following this plan I won't have my oldest through the cycle of history by 8th grade...

So maybe we do ECC next year but use MOH vol 2 to push us on through the next phase of history. Then for my oldest we could use MFW for 7th and 8th finishing him up with one cycle of history?

Please help me! Has anyone not liked ECC? or felt it was too light for a 6th grader?

I think ECC is just perfect for a 6th grader. We used it several years ago when I had a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th grader using it. I don't think ECC is light if that is what you are worried about. There is plenty to do. Many will say that ECC was their favorite year with MFW. For us...it just wasn't a good "fit". My children just didn't enjoy spending an entire year on Geography. We enjoyed the cooking projects, the missionary stories, and science. My kids got bored with the worksheets they had to complete for each country and I honestly found them a bit dry as well. YMMV, though. As I said, many have had great success and much fun with ECC!

Go through the cycle starting with ECC and then have your oldest read or listen to SOTW 4 in the summer between 8th and 9th. I am doing it for the 2nd time with twin 5th graders and an 8th grader (using the 7th and 8th grade supplement). The year of geography isn't my favorite because I like history better but I love the worldview and the heart for the world that my children learn in ECC. My kids also have a great grounding in geography which helps us to understand history better.

thanks to all of you who responded! anyone else have opinions to share about MFW ECC for a 6th grader? I like the idea of listening to some history on audio to push my oldest through a full cycle by the time he finishes 8th. We might could even listen to MOH vol 2 next year during our school year to keep us moving in time so to speak.