Menu

Different attitude about overeating and exercise

When I started my healthy eating journry I was the same way as OP. I LOVED food and HATED exercise. But I swore to myself I was gonna do it for 12 weeks NO MATTER WHAT. After 6 weeks, my whole entire body changed and then it started to get easier! That was a year and a half and 60 pounds ago.

I never picked up a soda after tha first day and I dont miss it. I crave fruits and veggies over junk food.

I started walking and hated it, but now..I run!! I never ever thought I would run, ever. Shocked the heck out of everyone I know :001_smile: My body craves a workout every single day.

After the 6 weeks of he** it got better and easier. Your body will adjust.

What I like about WW is that it tries to teach you that no food should have such a power over you. Truly, if I stay away from all the foods I love, I would make myself miserable and my family too.

But I'm giving up stuff anyway. It was easy to give up sweets, fast food, and soda (which I never really drank much of). This past week, I've been working on greatly reducing my milk and bread intake. I allow myself 1 cup of milk a day and one serving of bread. Yesterday I had 2 servings and was totally disappointed in myself at the end of the day. Normally, I drink about four 12-oz glasses of milk a day and eat about 4 servings of bread. So this is really hard.

I think you are really understanding your relationship with food and trying to make this WW plan work for you. Good for you for realizing what would make you miserable and therefore sabotage your efforts! It sounds like you are incorporating the foods you love in your new food plan and giving up the foods that aren't so good for you and that you don't care about anyway.

I think you're grieving that you can't have as much of your fun foods as you used to. Try to celebrate that you can still have what you love but only in moderation. Maybe too you can add some other foods back in and rotate other out again. It's not like you won't ever get to eat some things ever again.

I love bread. My dh loves ice cream. I'm very happy to give up ice cream to have some bread. But maybe I'll have ice cream one day and not bread that day. That way I won't ever feel deprived.

Cheers to you for working through this process!

Yes, I officially started on Sunday, Jan. 23rd. My first weigh-in was the 30th and I had lost half a pound. I'm adding in 2 days of exercise this week, maybe 3 days. We'll see. I weigh in on sundays.

I didn't realize this was only your first couple of weeks. Hang in there! I'm on week 5 and I felt like I was starving my first week. I ate every couple of hours. I tracked what I ate and figured the points, but I just took the time to learn the program and not worry too much about how many total points I had taken in. My body seemed to adjust to the reduced calories over the next couple of weeks. Now I'm 10 lbs. down (with many more to go). I think some weeks will go well and other weeks will be a struggle. Stay the course and you'll get there.

I can identify with MUCH of the original post. Maybe MOST of it.

The one specific thing that has helped me exercise is to treat myself (via iTunes) to downloading a TV show that I've wanted to watch. I then make the rule that I can watch that TV show *only* when I'm exercising. So I do 20 minutes at a time on the eliptical machine. It's not a ton, but it's something I can manage. And watching the TV shows makes the time go so quickly, much more so than the music or Teaching Company lectures I used to listen to! I end up in a nice sweat and barely even notice! ;)

Downloading an entire TV show season is somewhat expensive ($25-$40?), but I rationalize it by reminding myself that it's still less expensive than a gym membership.

I've now seen all four seasons of Mad Men and am on my second season of The Good Wife. :D

You should watch the movie "Fat Head" on hulu. I watched it a few months ago and had some major revelations. I think I have been staying so hungry because of too many carbs/too much insulin. I have cut carbs and have lost weight and not been hungry. Losing weight and feeling full has been a really great experience.

I feel like I should be able to eat all of my points and add fruit on top of it because that is what they say I can do.

Oh, I completely agree. And I think in the long run you will find that you can- although it may take a while for your body to cooperate. I REFUSE to count points for fruit and I have 4 or so servings each day (nice size servings, like a whole banana or 1.5 c. of blueberries).

Counting my weekly points, I have 36 pts. per day and I'm going to use them. I can't understand the ladies that have a problem with not eating all of them. I got overweight from overeating. Eating my points is not a problem. :)

I'm right there with you on that as well.

I hope your journey becomes more smooth over the next few weeks.