Menu

Different attitude about overeating and exercise

So I'm back on Weight Watchers and therefore reading different things about overeating and exercise and nothing I'm reading is resonating with me!

It seems like overeating is usually tied to emotional eating. Well, I'll admit I eat at celebrations but I don't call that emotional eating. I don't necessarily go for comfort food when I'm upset. In fact, I don't usually eat well when I'm upset. I do eat when I'm at my computer or in front of the tv, so I guess that is what they mean by boredom eating. But mostly, I overeat because what I eat tastes really, really good. I'm not satisfied with a single portion because I'm left feeling unsatisfied. My 'all or nothing' attitude doesn't help either. Since I don't want to overeat, I feel like I have to stay away from the foods I really like. Tonight, for example. I had 2 oz. of lean roast beef, half a cup of mashed potatoes, and half a cup of peas. To try to fill up, I had fruit which is no points on the WW system. That's one of my favorite meals ever, but I walked away so disappointed. I wish I had eaten something I don't quite like so I'd be happy the meal was over. I felt this way the last two times I was on WW but I sucked it up and lost the weight. But then I returned to the way I like to eat, just to gain it all back, obviously. Ugh.

And exercise! I HATE exercising. Tonight, all I could think throughout my whole workout was when the heck was it going to be over? I rolled my eyes a lot and even fussed at the tv to just get on with it and get it over. It causes me to be very irritable. And yet I read that exercising makes a person feel good. Yeah yeah. Not with me. Even when I exercise regularly, I don't adapt to it. I still hate it. When the weather is nice, I walk at the park and I hate that too. There really isn't a single exercise I've ever enjoyed doing! I'm the girl who got a 'C' in P.E. because I hated to dress out and participate. I got in trouble with the teacher once because I told her that sweating was quite unladylike. :tongue_smilie:

So, am I the only one who is this way? I really am trying to maintain a positive attitude but it's just so hard. I'm not changing my lifestyle. I'm dieting. I really want to change my lifestyle but I hate the thought of giving up the breads, pastas, and dairy I love so much. I've heard the whole 'moderation' talk. It's what I do but I don't enjoy it and I've never gotten used to it. I'm so bummed. :(

I could have written most of what you said. I don't eat for emotional reason except the rare situation *(like when I broke down and bought a Coke while in the ER with my husband who had had a heart attack).

I am Baptist and I eat because it TASTES GOOD.

I exercise with friends and that can be fun. Not the exercise but the fellowship. I am not one of those "wow, I feel great" because I exercised people either. I do it because it is the thing to do.

But mostly, I overeat because what I eat tastes really, really good. I'm not satisfied with a single portion because I'm left feeling unsatisfied.

I get this. I really really do. I've commented more than once that I wish I wasn't such a good cook. My husband has the same problem. To make matters worse, my cooking just keeps getting better and better and I'm always learning to make new things.

Are you eating all your points every week? It's important that you do that. Try to treat yourself to something every day. My big weakness is bread. Even though it's high in points, I work it in. Not as much as I used to eat, but still quite a bit.

I felt the same way about exercise as you did until I found something I liked. I tried for years to do exercise tapes and hated them. It was just torture. (I once tried 30 Day Shred. I did 5 minutes of it and quit. NOT for me.) I discovered running and am shocked that it's something I don't mind doing. I even enjoy it at times. If you hate the exercise you're doing, try something else.

Are you going to the WW meetings? If you are, I'd contact your leader. You are not the only person whose had these struggles. Losing weight is hard. It just is.

I completely understand. I eat because I like food. No bright ideas on that one, I'm still working on it myself.

As for exercise though, I agree with pp, keep trying until you find something you like. Or at least don't hate. It took me a long time, but I finally found something I like in the form of martial arts. I get to hit stuff, which is nice when I'm stressed, but more importantly the dojo I go to is great. We have a really good group of people in the adults class and we are all friends. We hang out outside of class and get our kids together for playdates and such. Also, dh and ds do martial arts too, so it is a family activity. Maybe you could find something to do with friends or something you and your dh could do together?

I feel your pain.

I love the taste of food as well and I think I am a pretty good cook and baker and goodie maker :)

My problem is I know how to control portions but when my mouth is still watering even after I have had my portion then it tends to be an issue! :)

I *need* to lose weight but I too am struggling mightily with it.

So I'm back on Weight Watchers and therefore reading different things about overeating and exercise and nothing I'm reading is resonating with me!

It seems like overeating is usually tied to emotional eating. Well, I'll admit I eat at celebrations but I don't call that emotional eating. I don't necessarily go for comfort food when I'm upset. In fact, I don't usually eat well when I'm upset. I do eat when I'm at my computer or in front of the tv, so I guess that is what they mean by boredom eating. But mostly, I overeat because what I eat tastes really, really good. I'm not satisfied with a single portion because I'm left feeling unsatisfied. My 'all or nothing' attitude doesn't help either. Since I don't want to overeat, I feel like I have to stay away from the foods I really like. Tonight, for example. I had 2 oz. of lean roast beef, half a cup of mashed potatoes, and half a cup of peas. To try to fill up, I had fruit which is no points on the WW system. That's one of my favorite meals ever, but I walked away so disappointed. I wish I had eaten something I don't quite like so I'd be happy the meal was over. I felt this way the last two times I was on WW but I sucked it up and lost the weight. But then I returned to the way I like to eat, just to gain it all back, obviously. Ugh.

And exercise! I HATE exercising. Tonight, all I could think throughout my whole workout was when the heck was it going to be over? I rolled my eyes a lot and even fussed at the tv to just get on with it and get it over. It causes me to be very irritable. And yet I read that exercising makes a person feel good. Yeah yeah. Not with me. Even when I exercise regularly, I don't adapt to it. I still hate it. When the weather is nice, I walk at the park and I hate that too. There really isn't a single exercise I've ever enjoyed doing! I'm the girl who got a 'C' in P.E. because I hated to dress out and participate. I got in trouble with the teacher once because I told her that sweating was quite unladylike. :tongue_smilie:

So, am I the only one who is this way? I really am trying to maintain a positive attitude but it's just so hard. I'm not changing my lifestyle. I'm dieting. I really want to change my lifestyle but I hate the thought of giving up the breads, pastas, and dairy I love so much. I've heard the whole 'moderation' talk. It's what I do but I don't enjoy it and I've never gotten used to it. I'm so bummed. :(

I need to lose 40-50 pounds, but I just like food too much. :(

I've learned that certain foods for me taste TOO GOOD.

I can't handle Nacho doritos at all.

I can't eat most Mexican food in a good portion size.

Ice cream isn't fun if it's too tiny.

I lost a lot of weight and have kept it off. They key for me -- well, there several keys really -- is to keep myself relatively full on low points like healthy cereal (Total) with almond milk is only 2 pts. I don't do the new "free fruit" plan but you could cut up a banana and be full on a cup of Total, almond milk and a banana.

I also cut up apples and put them in butternut squash soup. Again, only 2 or 3 pts. for me (I also put in 1 pt. of walnuts).

That's the trick: try hard to get full on low points.

It took me a long time but, after awhile, I really adjusted to the smaller portion size.

The biggest change for me is that now I hate the feeling of being really stuffed -- a feeling I used to have all the time.

I don't think I've had that "really stuffed" feeling in ages. It would feel awful to me now.

Another thing: when I was losing my weight I didn't see any correlation between exercise and weight loss. Sure, if you're in the army and hiking twenty miles etc.

I exercise for heart health and because they say exercise cuts Alzheimer's by fifty percent (it's rampant in our family). But I lost weight by sticking to low points.

The other thing that really helped me considerably: I looked at weight loss as if it were my part-time job so I took it really seriously. I made time to cut veggies, pack lunches, look at menus online before eating out. It was my job: I had to! :001_smile:

That thought process really helped keep me from feeling bitter about the time/energy/effort it takes to lose weight.

Plus it helped me with the grief of losing an activity that's really fun: eating fun food! It's a grief process to say good bye to that kind of eating. It's not that you can't enjoy food, but you have to learn how to enjoy food w/o gaining.

I use food really differently now. More as medicine in a funny kind of way. I eat 1/2 cup of blueberries every day (good against Alzheimers), get my nuts, drink a glass of red wine etc. etc.

Sorry I'm going on and on. I'm drinking my red wine right now.

Good luck to you!

Alley

My issues with my weight come down to 2 factors:

I *love* food

I *hate* exercise

I find exercise mind - numbing. I am currently walking every day and all I do is check my watch every 3 minutes to see if I have gotten to 30 yet. I don't enjoy it and I don't feel invigorated and awesome afterwards, either. LOL

OTOH, while I am enjoying eating healthy and cooking from scratch, my mind is almost constantly on the foods I am not eating. :-/

Meanwhile, my twit of a dh is losing weight hand - over - fist with minimal changes to his diet and lifestyle. I have made all the same changes and lost exactly - NOTHING. Yeah, that isn't defeating. :glare:

I can't help but eat all my points, even my weekly ones. I feel hungry all the time! I lost only half a pound this past week. I decided not to be bummed out though. At least it's a loss. But it's why I decided to add in some exercising.

I'm doing WW online this time. I went to the meetings the other two times and I did like them. I just don't want to spend $40/month right now.

I've done taekwondo, earned a black belt, and it was okay, but I'm not interested in doing it again. I hated the sparring! Our whole family did it so it was something to do with DH. I started it because I was told by DH and a doctor that I needed to find something to occupy myself because I couldn't have anymore babies. Yeah, all the way to black belt and the longing for a child never went away. Duh. I quit as soon as I got my black belt. I felt "done".

I tried the Couch 5K program. I hated it. I always push myself too hard. To me, walking/running outside is as boring as doing it on the treadmill at home.

I've got two tapes that I"m using. One is Leslie Sansone 'Walking Away the Pounds' and the other is a Weight Watchers tape. They are the right amount of exercise, but it's still exercise.

There was some workout program that was a big hit here a couple of years ago. I don't even remember the name of it. I tried that one because so many people raved about it. I think I paid like $80 for it. I sold that after a couple of weeks.

I'm not an outdoor person and that's part of the problem. A couple of years ago, I joined the YMCA to use the gym and worked on the machines. I don't do group classes. I'm not a people person.

Oh goodness. I'm a crotchey middle aged lady on her way to becoming a crochety old lady! Okay, the attitude I can work on, but I really don't think there is any exercise that I would enjoy. I watched some of the Zumba dancing and it might have been fun when I was much younger. But I'm plain not dancing zumba, latin, hip-hop or anything like that at my age. Egads! I'd likely throw out a hip!

DH suggested holding my favorite donut in front of the treadmill. :lol:

But mostly, I overeat because what I eat tastes really, really good. I'm not satisfied with a single portion because I'm left feeling unsatisfied.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but it sounds to me like it's just a straightforward issue of self-discipline. I think most people tend to over eat, unless they are intentional about doing otherwise.

I suppose there are a few 'lucky' ones out there who never give it a thought, but most of the time, you have to decide what you want more: good health or a 100% satisfied belly.

I am right there with you, by the way!

You're not the only one. Most of what you said resonated with me. Food tastes good. When there is good food in front of me I want to eat a lot of it. And I also hate exercise. I haven't found one I like yet -- just ones that I don't hate quite as much as others. I tell DH that if eating ice cream and chocolate were forms of exercise I would be totally buff ;) But yeah -- exercise makes me tired and grouchy. Not only does it make me tired and grouchy, but I usually get sick right after I start an exercise routine. It's supposed to be good for you, but my body doesn't like it! Once I'm sick, my options are either to keep plugging away through the illness and stay on track, or not exercise because I'm sick, get off track, and spend weeks trying to motivate myself to start up again. It just happened. We got a new exercise bike, I worked out almost daily for a week, was sick for 2 weeks, spent last week trying to motivate myself to start again but I was so busy catching up on housework from the 2 weeks I was sick that I didn't have time, and I finally started back up again tonight. Watch -- I'll come down with something in a week or two. :glare: No -- it doesn't feel good to me at all -- even when I manage to stay on a routine for a couple months. I don't feel any sort of high or rush after -- I'm just cranky as can be!

Losing weight is a bit of a chore for me but I did do it recently - 5kgs or so- using Weight Watchers- and can I jsut say I feel it was worth it?

Feeling not so happy in my slightly chubby body was not something I could just will myself to ignore. I kept telling myself it didnt matter. That it was just middle age and inevitable. BUt I knew...I wanted to lose the weight. I didnt want to give up the battle and just let myself go, so to speak.

ANd...I feel great. I love not being self conscious about my weight, and knowing I look good for my age.

So there you go...vanity is my motivation, but it works for me :)

After I got tired of WW (ANd it took me something like 4 months to lose those 5 kgs, which is very slow!), someone here mentioned the No S diet and I am doing that now and I love it- for me, its a great maintenance diet that I can do for the rest of my life- but for many they do it to lose weight. I can eat whatever I like at each meal- just nothing between meals. And on weekends i can eat whatever I like whenever I like. Its so doable!

THe thing I like about the No S diet is that it is an antidote to food obsessiveness, which is really the problem in the first place. ANd any diet that makes you think too much about what and how much you are eating makes you think about food all the more. I didnt realise that WW was making me OBSESS about food! About my next snack, about fruit for goodness sakes! The No S diet heals that obsessiveness while bringing back the enjoyment of mealtimes.

In the end...you have to find what works for you and what motivates you. If your desire to lose weight is not stronger than your desire to indulge yourself completely, well, accept that and be at peace :)

I started back at WW, again, in January. I haven't added exercise in yet as I hate it too. I don't like feeling so sore that I can't sleep at night or move the next day. I hope to do something exercise wise after I've lost more weight. Walking was my exercise of choice, but I only liked that when I had others to walk with and pass the time with.

As far as food goes, I believe there are things called "red light" foods. You just can't eat them in moderation and it is either better to stay away from them totally, or plan to have them and know you'll pay later by choosing lower point options. Eat the beef, mashed potatoes and peas - then start new the next day with healthier options the rest of the week.

I heard Candace Cameron on the Today show today. I can't remember the name of the book she wrote, but it was about her spiritual and food journey. She said that we shouldn't be lusting after food. Don't even look at those foods that you know will get you into trouble. (She was comparing this to how a married man shouldn't be looking at other women.)

I'll always remember something I heard at a WW meeting a long time ago - Nothing tastes as good as slim feels. Oh, how I long for that feeling again! I wish you the best on your journey.

:iagree:Everything you said. Word for word. I don't have the answers. The only thing I have figured out is that if I am eating sweets, I CAN.NOT.CONTROL.MYSELF. If sweets are not an option, I can count points or what ever and feel good about it. But If sweets are an option, I do not feel satisfied unless I've had some....um...I mean lots. I don't know what is ultimately going to work for me. But for now, I've cut out white/ brown sugar and white flour. It isn't perfect, but it's better then anything else I've tried.

Then there's the spiritual aspect of my "sin" which I personally believe over eating is. So, I am working on it from that end too.

I do think I may have found the cure to hating exercize. I have been disabled for 8 months. I am having surgery on the 25th and am hoping and praying with everything I've got that they find out what's wrong with me and that they can fix it. Try being UNABLE to walk for 8 months. I do believe that when I am "fixed" I will be glad to walk/ bike/ what ever. It is horrible not being able to and I will NOT take that for granted again.

Ps. have you tried swimming? My DD25 hates exercize too but she loves to swim. She also has mild asthma and swimming is the only thing she can do that doesn't make her feel horrible.

Mostly, I just sympathize. You are not alone, that's for sure.

After I got tired of WW (ANd it took me something like 4 months to lose those 5 kgs, which is very slow!), someone here mentioned the No S diet and I am doing that now and I love it- for me, its a great maintenance diet that I can do for the rest of my life- but for many they do it to lose weight. I can eat whatever I like at each meal- just nothing between meals. And on weekends i can eat whatever I like whenever I like. Its so doable!

THe thing I like about the No S diet is that it is an antidote to food obsessiveness, which is really the problem in the first place. ANd any diet that makes you think too much about what and how much you are eating makes you think about food all the more. I didnt realise that WW was making me OBSESS about food! About my next snack, about fruit for goodness sakes! The No S diet heals that obsessiveness while bringing back the enjoyment of mealtimes.

I totally agree - especially with the part I bolded! I also tried WW several times, but the sheer amount of obsessiveness that it created in me was not healthy! I thought about food all day, every day. And lost weight slowly. Please don't get me wrong, WW was great for me in the beginning - I learned well what a portion was and what foods constituted a well-balanced diet. But, after that I was a dismal failure at dieting. I always felt deprived, obsessed over every bite of food, etc.

When I read about the NoS Diet here, I started it and have steadily lost about 2 lbs/wk since. I love it. Last night we had bacon & eggs for dinner. I had two pieces of bacon and two eggs. Before NoS I would have eaten a piece or two of bacon while cooking dinner and then snuck another piece while cleaning up (seriously - I love me some thick-cut bacon). But last night I avoided eating 3 pieces of bacon - almost 300 calories - because of the No Snacks / No Seconds rules. I was pretty darned proud of myself.

And right now - yes, I am hungry and it is still 1.5 hours until lunch. What that tells me is that my oatmeal and Clementine that I ate for breakfast was not enough - tomorrow I need more (I usually have FF milk, as well but we were out this morning). But I am not going to eat (No Snacks). I have a huge glass of water and just popped in a piece of gum and will make it to lunch - and be proud of myself for sticking to this plan.

I LOVE this way of life. So natural and I honestly don't think about food at all unless - like right now - I get hungry between meals. Please check it out if it even sounds remotely appealing to you. I wish you success - I know what it feels like to be totally down in the dumps, wanting to loose weight but not 100% motivated to actually do it.

One thing I have tried to do to help control my desire to eat is the stop looking forward to food. I on purpose do not plan exciting things to eat or buy things that I would really like. I have tried to reduce food to something I eat to be healthy, feel good and prevent hunger. I have tried to elevate exercise to the thing I look forward to....like food use to be. It is working for me. I also make sure I eat filling foods according to weight watchers. That way after I eat I really am not hungry. If I am hungry I eat.

I didnt realise that WW was making me OBSESS about food! About my next snack, about fruit for goodness sakes!

I totally agree with this. I told my DH that being on WW makes me hyperfocused on food. I'm glancing at the clock all day to see if it's time for my next meal/snack. I have to space my food out by 3 to 4 hours because otherwise I'm eating all day. With the new WW plan, fruit is free so I am definitely eating more fruit. But I still don't see how eating all my daily and weekly points and fruit throughout the week is helpful. And I lost only half a pound my first official week following the plan and I believe my thinking is quite sound. So this week I'm more afraid of eating fruit. If I stay on WW, I need to start tracking fruit. No wonder I'm grouchy.

I'm so with you....for me, though, I just had to decide that I *need* to lose weight, even if I don't really want to. Dieting, or "making a lifestyle change", is hardest for me when I'm not doing it--it's harder in my mind than it is in reality. I'm a month in now and starting to get that deprived feeling...but I've lost 10 lbs, my clothes are fitting better, and most of all I want to be there for my kids when they're grown. I lost my grandmother to a heart attack when I was 5. She was 51 and morbidly obese. That's not what I want for my family, so whatever my reasons for not wanting to do it, I need to.

It is attitude. What you need is a good old fashioned mid life crisis. You'll love exercising then.

:D I thought returning to college was my midlife crisis!

Gardening is so not an option. There are icky, creepy, crawly things out there! :eek:

I'm going to stick to the dvd's because they are tolerable. When the weather is better, and honestly if I'm still exercising, I'll go back to walking at the park. My ipod makes it tolerable too. Maybe I'll try an audio book. I can see that helping to pass the time more quickly.

Thanks to all! I'm so glad I'm not alone.

Don't even look at those foods that you know will get you into trouble.

What I like about WW is that it tries to teach you that no food should have such a power over you. Truly, if I stay away from all the foods I love, I would make myself miserable and my family too. I find it really hard to not eat what's in my house. I'd have to stop buying bread of all kinds, potatoes, dairy, pasta, and peanut butter (all of my trigger foods). That's just not realistic to expect my family to stop eating those foods too. So then I'd have to buck up and deny myself those foods. That just seems like it would lead to an even more unhealthy mind and body. I'd be trading one set of problems for another.

But I'm giving up stuff anyway. It was easy to give up sweets, fast food, and soda (which I never really drank much of). This past week, I've been working on greatly reducing my milk and bread intake. I allow myself 1 cup of milk a day and one serving of bread. Yesterday I had 2 servings and was totally disappointed in myself at the end of the day. Normally, I drink about four 12-oz glasses of milk a day and eat about 4 servings of bread. So this is really hard.

I do think I may have found the cure to hating exercize. I have been disabled for 8 months. I am having surgery on the 25th and am hoping and praying with everything I've got that they find out what's wrong with me and that they can fix it. Try being UNABLE to walk for 8 months.

:grouphug: No, I can't even imagine. I hope it all goes well.

Learning to eat only until you are 75% full and satisfied can be a blessing. It's hard, but it will work to retrain you to healthier portions. And you'll get to eat all the yummy stuff.

I still think you have to give yourself a treat sometimes or life will be miserable. Can you have one day a week when you have your treats? I love my wine, but I have limited myself to drinking it only on weekends. I know I sound like an alki, but if I drink one I want two, so it's better if I don't drink at all during the week and just have two on a Friday or Saturday night. Fwiw.

Btw, I hate exercising, too. No matter what I do (even if it's "fun"), I spend the whole time thinking, "Wth is this going to end?!" :D

WOW! It's like I wrote your post- that's me exactly.

I finally came to this conclusion:

Being fat and tired all the time is hard.

Being thin and exercising is hard.

I had to just choose my hard. :D

Edited by Swirl

Look, you may not take my advice seriously because of where I am in my fitness now. But I have been in the position of needing to lose 40lbs several times and I was always the fat one in my family. Although "fat" is relative, I was mildly chubby but in household of perfection, I might as well have been obese.

I do not diet. I do not believe in lifestyle changes. These are not goals but events that occur because I have something else in mind. Also, it sounds like new age mumbo jumbo to me. Plus, there a million ideas about what to eat: eat for this body type, eat for this blood type, eat for this haircut, eat for this eye color, eat tons is one sitting, eat 12 times a day, eat only carrots, eat more bacon fat - I can't follow all that sh@t, I can't discern the treasure from the rubbish. It all just comes across as noise anyway.

I keep my life simple and eat modest. That is food is a means to an end and not an endless pleasure. I do not eat foods that taste gross to me and I try to avoid foods that make me feel gross (even if I like the way that food taste). I try not to stuff myself because it makes feel gross. That's it.

I didn't use to get the high from exercise. What I did like was getting away from everybody and listening to my music while on long walks. I don't like the outdoors either. Down the road, I wanted to feel accomplished. I got that feeling by jogging along the beach or managing a mile of jogging. I jog for MILES now but I don't like jogging. I like listening to music and daydreaming. Jogging allows me to do that without looking like a freak to other people.

So the point is what do you want more?

I totally agree with this. I told my DH that being on WW makes me hyperfocused on food. I'm glancing at the clock all day to see if it's time for my next meal/snack. I have to space my food out by 3 to 4 hours because otherwise I'm eating all day. With the new WW plan, fruit is free so I am definitely eating more fruit. But I still don't see how eating all my daily and weekly points and fruit throughout the week is helpful. And I lost only half a pound my first official week following the plan and I believe my thinking is quite sound. So this week I'm more afraid of eating fruit. If I stay on WW, I need to start tracking fruit. No wonder I'm grouchy.

It's ok to be "eating all day" if that means that you are eating 5 small meals (about 300 calories each) every couple of hours. I've found that regulates my blood sugar so that I don't have cravings and I don't get cranky. I do, however, have to have adequate protein at each of those meals or I go off the deep end.

So the point is what do you want more?

Can you rephrase the question? More how? Like whether losing weight for appearance or health?

I don't like my shape. I gain all my weight in my stomach and I have a dunlop (tummy dun lopped over the top of my jeans!)

Doctor wants me under 160 lbs. for health reasons. I'm on cholesterol medicine and my mom and her sister have diabetes.

:grouphug:

Ok - here's the deal -

We all LOVE the taste of our food. If I could get away with it I would eat all day :) Most of us HATE exercising. I've read a ton of diet and health books, read up on the Weight Watchers and Jenny Craigs. Most of them are gimmicks. Or they work while you are having the food delivered, but not if you stop.

I am blessed with a somewhat decent metabolism - but I am also very aware of what I eat. The metabolism kinda took a dive after 35, so I've had to really change things. I don't think there is any magical, perfect diet - or any trick to staying in shape and slender. I have to eat small amounts - carefully - and exercise three times a week or I start adding on pounds very quickly. I took 6 weeks off of the gym, and ate badly, at the holidays and gained 12 pounds. That is a lot when you're only 5'3".

But what it comes down to is calories in - calories out. Eat less, exercise more. The less that is eaten, the smaller the stomach shrinks, and the easier it gets over time. You feel full much faster. Kinda like natural bariatric surgery - just takes a lot longer.

Exercising becomes a habit. It takes about a month of really not wanting to do it - but then you get into a groove. After your body starts to cooperate, and you aren't feeling horrible afterwards - well - it isn't bad.

After 6 weeks - you actually start seeing the difference, and that is motivational right there. I really think cardio combined with weight training is the key.

By exercising as much as I do - and eating well most of the time - I can splurge once or twice a week on things that are REALLY good (ie the bread pudding I had at lunch on Sunday).

One last thing - I feel so much better when I am exercising. OK - well, I feel horrible if I stop for a while and then start again. Ug - getting back into after the holidays was miserable. But now I am back to feeling better because of it. I fight anxiety and ddepression, and am on meds - but even with the meds I start going down hill without the natural benefits from working out. It builds upon itself, the better I feel the more I want to exercise to stay feeling that way.

I do think that some people will carry more weight no matter what they do , but that they can still be in good physical shape. Certainly the modern ideal of the stick thin woman isn't a good one. Heck - the older I get the younger I look with 5 extra pounds (fills out all those wrinkle on my face :) ) It isn't so much about what you look like in the mirror - it's more about how you feel and whether you are physically healthy and fit.

Can you rephrase the question? More how? Like whether losing weight for appearance or health?

I don't like my shape. I gain all my weight in my stomach and I have a dunlop (tummy dun lopped over the top of my jeans!)

Doctor wants me under 160 lbs. for health reasons. I'm on cholesterol medicine and my mom and her sister have diabetes.

Actually, it wasn't specific like that but a philosophical question. When you are in a rut or frustrated, ask yourself, "What do I want more?" Let's say it's a different body shape and you don't want to exercise. You are feeling blue or moody or cranky. At that low point, ask yourself what do you care more about? Avoiding the dreaded exercise or taking another step forward to the image of the prize you have set in your mind (a different shape)?

This is especially important when you are getting no results. I have this happen to me all the time; doing the right things and seemingly getting nowhere. It will happen but it is truly an exercise in DELAYED GRATIFICATION.

I could have written most of the original post.

Now things are different for me.

I feel that it is unacceptable to obsess about food all the time or be very hungry. I get cranky and get horrible headaches when I'm too hungry, and it's flat out not worth it. I have never really believed that I could stick to a diet and stand it, and I have hated to exercise (except skiing--expensive and far away--and hiking--far away--and volleyball--but I'm short and not that good at it since breaking my arm a few years back) most of my life.

So.

Back in September I had a big fat wake up call. I thought things through and concluded that I was unhealthy, and on the verge of becoming VERY unhealthy, and in a way that I would never be able to recover from. So I decided to try a slow weight loss and see if I could do it.

I signed up for WW online. This is key for me, and it's interesting. It's kind of like these boards--you want to see what happens next. I can't explain it, but the tracking of food and activity, and weekly weigh in's, are just the right amount of consciousness for me. If I went to meetings the obsessing would annoy me to death. Just putting things in and occasionally looking at the data is just exactly right. And, it has become positive reinforcement for me, but in a non-over the top way. I eat some cabbage instead of cheese, and get to check off a fruit and veggie box. I drink some water when I'm feeling hungry, realize that I actually was more thirsty than hungry, and smile when I see 'watch your hunger feelings' or whatever that little reminder says. I put in activity, and see how many more points I can make, and try for at least 10 per week, and it gets me going in the morning.

For exercise, I have a real affinity for wild nature. I can just sit and watch a stream go by and feel very peaceful, if I'm not frantically thinking of all the other 'productive' things I should be doing. For me the keys to exercise is that I want to do it by myself so no one sees or paces me, I want to be outside if possible, because I just feel better then, and I want to do it before I take my morning bath, because I just never seem to get to it if I don't and it's inefficient to have to change, exercise, and take another shower later on (so I don't do it, regardless of my intentions). So I walk outside, and run for sprints when I feel like it. I try for 45 minutes a session and usually end up at around 60. If I can hike on a weekend day, I try to do so, as this is more fun and it also varies the terrain more than going out into the neighborhood on weekdays (I discovered some good hiking within a short drive of half an hour, so I don't have to go 4 hours into the mountains for this anymore). In theory I should do this 5 days per week, but in practice I'm usually at 3 or so.

That's the other thing. I'm not buying into the 'all or nothing' stuff. If I don't do it 5 days per week, it is still worth doing when I can. If I don't eat lightly 7 days per week, it is still worth doing when I can.

Currently I'm at a big flat plateau, and it's because I stopped using the tracker consistently. This coming weekend I have two-three big social/business events that are going to involve heavy food, little exercise, and difficulty in tracking stuff. That's OK. Because when I'm ready to start doing the tracking again, it will be there waiting for me.

My results so far: Since Oct when I really started this, I have lost 19 pounds. I have improved my stamina tremendously. I have gotten rid of some health concerns, although I have worsened one of them considerably with exercise-related pain--this is far less serious than the ones that are improved, and I'm just looking at it as the 'price' right now. I am wearing jeans that are two full sizes smaller than before. I fit into suits that I have not worn for 5 years.

For me this is victory.

Even if I just maintain here, I have won.

But I choose to go on. And I don't choose to hurry or to beat myself up. My jaw is set.

This is worth it. I am worth it.

I could have written most of the original post.

Now things are different for me.

I feel that it is unacceptable to obsess about food all the time or be very hungry. I get cranky and get horrible headaches when I'm too hungry, and it's flat out not worth it. I have never really believed that I could stick to a diet and stand it, and I have hated to exercise (except skiing--expensive and far away--and hiking--far away--and volleyball--but I'm short and not that good at it since breaking my arm a few years back) most of my life.

So.

Back in September I had a big fat wake up call. I thought things through and concluded that I was unhealthy, and on the verge of becoming VERY unhealthy, and in a way that I would never be able to recover from. So I decided to try a slow weight loss and see if I could do it.

I signed up for WW online. This is key for me, and it's interesting. It's kind of like these boards--you want to see what happens next. I can't explain it, but the tracking of food and activity, and weekly weigh in's, are just the right amount of consciousness for me. If I went to meetings the obsessing would annoy me to death. Just putting things in and occasionally looking at the data is just exactly right. And, it has become positive reinforcement for me, but in a non-over the top way. I eat some cabbage instead of cheese, and get to check off a fruit and veggie box. I drink some water when I'm feeling hungry, realize that I actually was more thirsty than hungry, and smile when I see 'watch your hunger feelings' or whatever that little reminder says. I put in activity, and see how many more points I can make, and try for at least 10 per week, and it gets me going in the morning.

For exercise, I have a real affinity for wild nature. I can just sit and watch a stream go by and feel very peaceful, if I'm not frantically thinking of all the other 'productive' things I should be doing. For me the keys to exercise is that I want to do it by myself so no one sees or paces me, I want to be outside if possible, because I just feel better then, and I want to do it before I take my morning bath, because I just never seem to get to it if I don't and it's inefficient to have to change, exercise, and take another shower later on (so I don't do it, regardless of my intentions). So I walk outside, and run for sprints when I feel like it. I try for 45 minutes a session and usually end up at around 60. If I can hike on a weekend day, I try to do so, as this is more fun and it also varies the terrain more than going out into the neighborhood on weekdays (I discovered some good hiking within a short drive of half an hour, so I don't have to go 4 hours into the mountains for this anymore). In theory I should do this 5 days per week, but in practice I'm usually at 3 or so.

That's the other thing. I'm not buying into the 'all or nothing' stuff. If I don't do it 5 days per week, it is still worth doing when I can. If I don't eat lightly 7 days per week, it is still worth doing when I can.

Currently I'm at a big flat plateau, and it's because I stopped using the tracker consistently. This coming weekend I have two-three big social/business events that are going to involve heavy food, little exercise, and difficulty in tracking stuff. That's OK. Because when I'm ready to start doing the tracking again, it will be there waiting for me.

My results so far: Since Oct when I really started this, I have lost 19 pounds. I have improved my stamina tremendously. I have gotten rid of some health concerns, although I have worsened one of them considerably with exercise-related pain--this is far less serious than the ones that are improved, and I'm just looking at it as the 'price' right now. I am wearing jeans that are two full sizes smaller than before. I fit into suits that I have not worn for 5 years.

For me this is victory.

Even if I just maintain here, I have won.

But I choose to go on. And I don't choose to hurry or to beat myself up. My jaw is set.

This is worth it. I am worth it.

Ladies, this is how it is done.

BTW, this is my reward.

post-1116-13535084464527_thumb.jpg

post-1116-13535084464527_thumb.jpg

WOW! It's like I wrote your post- that's me exactly.

I finally came to this conclusion:

Being fat and tired all the time is hard.

Being thin and exercising is hard.

I had to just choose my hard. :D

Ooooh! I really, really like this. I never thought of it that way before!

I'm wondering what in the world you ate the rest of the day!

2 oz Beef Rump Roast, trimmed = 2 points plus values

1/2 cup mashed potatoes = 3 points plus values

1/2 cup peas= 1 point.

You spent a loverly SIX points on supper! That is about one-fifth of your points if you have the minimum 29 points available. Not including your weekly points. I would have had at least twice as much supper, but would probably have chosen broccoli or green beans or salad instead of peas as that is zero points.

Check out the WW forums for peer support on the program. IMO, maybe your leader is an emotional eater, but I have not heard much about that at my center. Keep working on the program until you figure out YOUR approach that works for you.

Actually, it wasn't specific like that but a philosophical question. When you are in a rut or frustrated, ask yourself, "What do I want more?" Let's say it's a different body shape and you don't want to exercise. You are feeling blue or moody or cranky. At that low point, ask yourself what do you care more about? Avoiding the dreaded exercise or taking another step forward to the image of the prize you have set in your mind (a different shape)?

Oh! I'll have to give that some thought. I took a long time between joining and lasting 4 weeks, and making a committment to actually follow the program because this isn't where I want to be right now. I understand I have to be in the "head space" to be successful but truthfully, I wasn't motivated much to start. It's true I don't like how I look or how I fit in my clothes or how I had to go buy bigger sizes. But I don't feel passionate about the changes. I'm doing them out of obligation for medical and financial reasons. That's definitely part of the problem. Motivation!

Oh! I'll have to give that some thought. I took a long time between joining and lasting 4 weeks, and making a committment to actually follow the program because this isn't where I want to be right now. I understand I have to be in the "head space" to be successful but truthfully, I wasn't motivated much to start. It's true I don't like how I look or how I fit in my clothes or how I had to go buy bigger sizes. But I don't feel passionate about the changes. I'm doing them out of obligation for medical and financial reasons. That's definitely part of the problem. Motivation!

Has the decision been made? It's okay to start off with, "Fiiinnnneeee, whaateeeeevvvveeerrrr. (Sigh) I'll do it" :tongue_smilie:

You spent a loverly SIX points on supper! That is about one-fifth of your points if you have the minimum 29 points available.

I'm a grazer by nature. It's not healthy and it's a big part of why I overeat. It's also a big reason I struggle with making sure there is time between meals without too much snacking.

Earlier in the day, I had a Subway sandwich and some Light Lays chips that cost me 10 points. I had an early breakfast which was 4 points. Because I know I'm going to be hungry in the evenings, I have to save points for that time frame and I always end up going over.

Some big point suckers for me:

coffee: 1 point a cup (usually 3 cups a day)

milk: I allow myself 1 cup of milk and it's always chocolate milk using 2% and Nestles powder. I cannot use skim milk in chocolate milk because it's like chocolate flavored water.

granola bar: the snack I eat with the chocolate milk is 3 pts.

nuts: I need healthy oils and 1 ounce of nuts is 5 pts. OR I eat 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on a small bagel which is also 5 pts. so I would never eat those in the same day.

I have those items every day, which totals to 15 pts. I used a total of 35 pts. yesterday and about the same the day before that.

I am not a big salad eater. Whenever I have one in front of me, I think "This isn't food. This is what food eats." :tongue_smilie:

Has the decision been made? It's okay to start off with, "Fiiinnnneeee, whaateeeeevvvveeerrrr. (Sigh) I'll do it" :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I officially started on Sunday, Jan. 23rd. My first weigh-in was the 30th and I had lost half a pound. I'm adding in 2 days of exercise this week, maybe 3 days. We'll see. I weigh in on sundays. Oh, and I'm doing WW online. I've attended meetings twice before and although i like them, the cost is $40 a month and I just can't spend that. I'm paying $17 a month for online which is more than I want to spend, but at least it's better than $40.

I can identify with much of what you wrote in your original post. I hate to exercise, love to cook, love to eat, and did I say hate to exercise? However, reality has set in and I realize that I need to stop sacrificing the quality of my future for a momentary culinary pleasure.

Someone introduced me to NoS, and it really helped me to break the mindless snacking habit. I do love to eat, though, so I still overate at regular meals. And overate on those special S days.

So . . . I joined www.3fatchicks.com/forum, and found lots of great info and support for free! It is really fun to read the success stories, and see others' successful journeys, and it has helped to motivate me when I want to give up. I started calorie counting, and it is so much easier/faster/more helpful than I'd assumed.

Hang in there! :)

I find exercise mind - numbing. I am currently walking every day and all I do is check my watch every 3 minutes to see if I have gotten to 30 yet. I don't enjoy it and I don't feel invigorated and awesome afterwards, either. LOL

:glare:

I find it really helps to listen to an audiobook on my iPod while sitting on the exercise bike or running. It takes my mind off of what I am doing and it makes time go a little faster. Nth

When it comes to WW, I have found that specific substitutes make all the difference in the world. Here are some suggestions (to take or leave or tweak as you wish) which would give you more satisfaction for your allowance:

a Subway sandwich and some Light Lays chips that cost me 10 points.

Substitute fruit or baby carrots or celery for the chips.

Some big point suckers for me:

coffee: 1 point a cup (usually 3 cups a day)

If you can switch yourself over to skim milk instead of creamer (best switch I ever made!) you can have THREE cups of coffee for your one point (1/4 cup skim milk per 1.5 cups of coffee in my big mug). And I like mine really white.

milk: I allow myself 1 cup of milk and it's always chocolate milk using 2% and Nestles powder. I cannot use skim milk in chocolate milk because it's like chocolate flavored water.

Try WW Smoothies or switch yourself to lowfat cheese or light yogurt instead of chocolate milk for your dairy.

granola bar: the snack I eat with the chocolate milk is 3 pts.

Substitute a banana or bowlful of mixed berries (frozen, thawed in microwave with a sprinkling of Splenda or Truvia).

nuts: I need healthy oils and 1 ounce of nuts is 5 pts. OR I eat 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on a small bagel which is also 5 pts. so I would never eat those in the same day.

You can use olive oil to saute veggies or meats for 1 point per tsp. There are times I crave peanut butter, but that's a rarity. Pistachios are pretty low in points- you get 49 for an oz... I can't even imagine eating 49 pistachios.

When it comes to WW, I have found that specific substitutes make all the difference in the world. Here are some suggestions (to take or leave or tweak as you wish) which would give you more satisfaction for your allowance:

Thanks Jennifer. I appreciate the tips. I know the stuff, I just don't like it. I feel like if WW gives me the points and tells me I can lose weight, I believe it. I feel like I should be able to eat all of my points and add fruit on top of it because that is what they say I can do.

Skim milk in coffee? ewww! :tongue_smilie: the creamer is what gives it a good texture.

Counting my weekly points, I have 36 pts. per day and I'm going to use them. I can't understand the ladies that have a problem with not eating all of them. I got overweight from overeating. Eating my points is not a problem. :)

Something I've discovered while being on WW. If I abstain from fast food for a while, then have fast food, it makes me sick enough that I don't want it again. Sonic used to be my favorite FF place, and I hadn't eaten there for a long time when I decided (due to some demon taking control of my mind, I'm sure) to get a Frito chili wrap and...a small red velvet cheesecake blast! I calculated the points and stayed on track for the day, but OH. MY. GOSH. I was so sick for the rest of the day that even looking at the cup that had the blast in it made my stomach roll. I just can't do it anymore. The taste isn't worth spending the next 12 hours in the bathroom.

I love carbs: potatoes, bread, pasta, but I counter it with a huge salad or huge bowl of steamed veggies. I refuse to disallow myself anything, even pizza, but I'm finding that as I go on, the less I eat of "junk" foods or fast foods, the worse they make me feel if I do indulge in them. The momentary taste just isn't worth the hours of stomach cramps, etc.

I hate exercise, too. I've not done any, which is why the weight is coming off so slowly. I can't find anything I enjoy, either. I'm burned out of Wiifit, but might try some of the Wii dance-type games. I have no answers. But I sure know where you're at. I'm there, too!