Menu

My oldest son is (and has been for a while) very interested in entering West Point upon graduation. Since he will be entering high school officially next year I feel that I need to have a real game plan. I have visited the website and checked on their admission requirements, contacted local CAP and Young Marine chapters about membership, and discussed with my son the need to show strong leadership qualities outside the home. Are there any parents here with experience having gone through the application/interview process? Any tips for someone just beginning to think about this?

Thanks!

We haven't, but a friend's son graduated from West Point. When my eldest was still considering military, we talked to her & she suggested keeping a notebook, starting in 8th grade with EVERYTHING they do in it. Then, when it's time for applications, etc, there'd be no trying to re-create...it would be all in one place.

I do not know where you are in So Cal...it is a big place :)

Regardless of your location, if you can get there, Congressman Ed Royce's Academy Nights are invaluable. They are held every year and are open to anyone interested in learning more. You may start attending way before you are ready to apply; his staff person is amazingly knowledgeable. Even if you do not live in his district, his office (via the staff member) will help students individually plan, prepare, and apply when the time comes.

We attended a few of these way back when but ended up deciding for ROTC instead. I do know of at least 4 homeschoolers who went through this office for help and all did not live in the district. Two are at West Point and two at the Air Force Academy.

Here is the link (I hope it works) for information on the next Academy Night in March. http://royce.house.gov/ConstituentServices/academies.htm

Happy to answer any questions.

Thank you!

I guess at this point, since he is an 8th grader, my biggest question is what type of activities/leadership opportunities did you child participate in that were beneficial in the application process. My son is joining the Young Marines - he will be doing boot camp in March. He is also pretty active in our church's youth program, as well. What activities served your child well in building leadership skills?

Also, my son is not spectacular at math. He does OK, but definitely isn't exceptional. His love is history (especially military) and writing/literature. How hard should I push him in math? I know SAT scores need to be high...I don't know. I guess I just feel like I need to step up his level of math instruction. Thoughts?

Is there anything else that you think it would be important to know at this stage in the game?

I really appreciate your time and willingness to answer my questions!

DS did CAP (Mitchell), Boy Scouts (Eagle), a local swim team, the high school swim team (you don't have to go to the high school to be on the team here,) and was an altar server at church.

He had calculus has a junior, then a course called Math Modeling. His feedback, half way through first semester at USAFA, was that we needed to do more algebra. (His sisters didn't exactly thank him for this comment!) This was after having had algebra I in 8th grade in a school (newer Dolciani book), algebra I at home in 9th (older Foerster book) and algebra II at home in 10th (older Foerster book.)

I would recommend making sure he knew his math facts inside and out, and was really, really comfortable manipulating any kind of equations.

SAT scores will be important (especially because you live in SoCal.)

I would also recommend he take up a sport seriously (any sport that will get him in really good shape.)

DS did CAP (Mitchell), Boy Scouts (Eagle), a local swim team, the high school swim team (you don't have to go to the high school to be on the team here,) and was an altar server at church.

He had calculus has a junior, then a course called Math Modeling. His feedback, half way through first semester at USAFA, was that we needed to do more algebra. (His sisters didn't exactly thank him for this comment!) This was after having had algebra I in 8th grade in a school (newer Dolciani book), algebra I at home in 9th (older Foerster book) and algebra II at home in 10th (older Foerster book.)

I would recommend making sure he knew his math facts inside and out, and was really, really comfortable manipulating any kind of equations.

SAT scores will be important (especially because you live in SoCal.)

I would also recommend he take up a sport seriously (any sport that will get him in really good shape.)

This is great. Thank you so, so much! I have hired a math tutor for my son and will give her your feedback. He is currently doing Algebra, and I will be sure to solidify everything...maybe adding in some more for the remainder of the year.

My son is also a pretty serious fencer (forgot that in my initial post) so the sport is covered. He is hoping to enter into more competitions this year and desires to make it to Nationals next year.

May I ask why SAT scores will be especially important since we are in SoCal? With him being my oldest I feel like there is so much I don't know!

Thank you again for your feedback!!

May I ask why SAT scores will be especially important since we are in SoCal?

SoCal is densely populated and, therefore, the competition might be more intense for a nomination (from your congressman) than it is for the actual appointment. Congressional staffs are not as well versed in academics as college admissions offices are and have to focus on lots of different issues, so obvious numbers may hold more importance. Of course, it is possible that your congressmen's staffs have been doing it long enough to be aware of all the ins and outs of homeschooling applicants, but I wouldn't count on it.

I fenced at West Point as a sophomore. Sadly, it was no longer a varsity sport, but they do have a club team.

My son (9th grader) is also interested in West Point. We have met with a local WP rep and they encourage leadership, leadership, leadership as well as 2-Varsity Letters. Essentially, he said, they want them fit. If there is not a 2nd sport, the something like local races (or your fencing Nat'l) will do. Academics are great, but from what I read from their website, there is so much remediation available, I'm not sweatin' it...although I have a boy opposite yours -- super strong in math and average in humanities and writing. My plan is to keep focus on strength and move forward. He's currently leading well in Boy Scouts and one he gets to Eagle, we may move over to ROTC or CAP. We'll see when the time comes.