Menu

For those who use Spielvogel's Western Civ...

We've been using the 6th edition for our spine for the last two years. I didn't find the study guides and other supplements to be all that useful. I take the topics in Spielvogel and then search out other resources on my own. We have a book called "How It Happened", for instance, that is primary accounts of events through history. My dd is also reading Tindall's "America" along side, as well as listening to the TC on US History because the Spielvogel doesn't cover US History. We just insert it chronologically. Sometimes the suggested readings for further info listed at the end of the chapter are useful but often I find something else by just fishing around at the library. We've enjoyed reading Winston Churchill's history along side as well. I would say the Spielvogel comprises about 30% of our reading overall. It's not too exciting. HTH!

We read it as historical background for our literature. The literature (and other documents) were the main focus, since they were the primary sources. Mine also wrote a few essays (mostly to practise essay writing) answering one of the things-to-think-about questions at the beginning of each chapter.

-Nan

the companion website?

It has a lot of great interactive study tools.

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=0534646026&discipline_number=21

Shannon

Yes, I did find this. I'm hoping to make it useful, but we're not real good with remembering to use online computer sources. ;)

We've been using the 6th edition for our spine for the last two years. I didn't find the study guides and other supplements to be all that useful. I take the topics in Spielvogel and then search out other resources on my own. We have a book called "How It Happened", for instance, that is primary accounts of events through history. My dd is also reading Tindall's "America" along side, as well as listening to the TC on US History because the Spielvogel doesn't cover US History. We just insert it chronologically. Sometimes the suggested readings for further info listed at the end of the chapter are useful but often I find something else by just fishing around at the library. We've enjoyed reading Winston Churchill's history along side as well. I would say the Spielvogel comprises about 30% of our reading overall. It's not too exciting. HTH!

Well bummer. I wish I had read this before ordering the used study guide Amazon had for $25. :tongue_smilie: I'll just hope it offers some useful questions, etc.

I am actually planning to use Omnibus III, but I'm not yet convinced it deserves a full credit for hs history. I feel like it needs a bit more that is actual 'history'. I was thinking of getting BJUs US History to add to Omni next year, but since I already have Spielvogel I thought perhaps I could flesh it out some. I also own the Learning Co. US History DVDs too...forgot about those! So, perhaps with Spielvogel and the LC DVDs, we'll be just fine? Or should I drop Spielvogel and add in BJU??? Ugh. Decisions, decisions. With their tests and quizzes, BJU is definitely easier to grade. :confused:

• 4 months later...
Yes, I did find this. I'm hoping to make it useful, but we're not real good with remembering to use online computer sources. ;)

After digging out my Spielvogel, I decided to use it instead of Notgrass. I went to the linked site and just copied the essay questions and vocabulary into a Word doc.