Menu

Word study

What do you do for or about word study in 5th grade?

I am looking at Vocabulary From Classical Roots and wondering if I want to do it and what it will look like for us.

We have been doing Latin (Getting Started With Latin and will continue with Linney's Latin Class using The First year of Latin).

We have been doing, and will continue with, Spelling Power.

I agree with the above poster, a vocab-rich latin program is really all you need. We have, up to this point, been using Sadlier-Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop (through k12), but I'm dropping it because it's just redundant with our Latin studies.

We started with Cambridge in January and after we finish our next chapter (in 2 weeks, a total of 6 weeks that we've been doing Latin) we will have 140 Latin vocab words under our belt. :eek: Cambridge seems to be very heavy in vocab building and is basically a Latin immersion course so the student is translating/needing to learn the words from day 1. I think that is what makes learning the vocab so easy, they are all used in the context of a story.

That said, I am going to order GSWL to go along with our Cambridge studies because the actual Latin Grammar isn't very well laid out with Cambridge. It's there, but not in the formal way I want ds to learn/know it. I'm hoping GSWL will be what I'm looking for!!! :)

Do you feel like GSWL is a good purchase? Do you use an English Grammar program as well?

Do you feel like GSWL is a good purchase? Do you use an English Grammar program as well?

We are using GSWL and love it. For grammar we have been using Sheldon's PLL, and also reference an old, cheap Warriner's Complete Course text as needed. Each lesson in GSWL is a grammar lesson, or at least that's how we have experienced using it.

We like it, and might actually finish it this year :D

We are also using FLL4 and will use SWB's new one for 5th grade in the fall when it comes out.

You guys are making me and dd9 very happy (she just doesn't know it yet):D