Menu

Drowning in a sea of history options! Please help!

JoyinIndo

So,

I've posted a few times over the past few weeks about my dilemma regarding my core/history curriculum choices. I live overseas so I need to start deciding what to use for next fall. My kids will be 5th, 4th, 2nd, and 4yo twins.

I have used SL, Beautiful Feet, and SOTW over the past 4 years and we are finishing westward expansion this year. I have greatly enjoyed using living books as a basis of education and would like to continue that in some way or another. However, especially with BF and even with SL there are times that I don't feel I have a strong enough grasp on what the kids need to be learning from the reading, or I don't have enough background of the time period to answer their questions responsibly.

I am a CM/Classical type homeschooler, leaning more towards classical as the oldest gets older. I love CM, but I am not confident enough in my knowledge (in general), to fully trust that the end result will turn out. :)

So, I've been reading lots of old threads, comparing programs, and praying a whole lot about these decisions and I really need to decide what is going to work best for my family.

So, here are my options (at least all that I've thought of up till now):

SL, MFW, Biblioplan, TOG, AO or???

SL:

I love SL's read alouds and readers, they are great and something I am going to miss (right now I use BF and add in Core 4 RA and Readers).

I don't think that Core 5 would be a good fit for us, with all the things I've heard about it being tough. Plus, then, I wouldn't be able to combine the kids, which at this point, I would really like to do.

MFW looks really good, but is it meaty enough? I wonder that there are so few RA (long chapter books), and I don't know how the whole book basket thing would work. We don't have a library, but I have a large homeschool budget, so I would just have to buy a lot of the books instead of relying on the library.

Biblioplan- it appeals to me because it looks simple, and there are RA and readers for all ages. But, again, is it enough? After looking at something like TOG, it seems almost too simple. I really like the spines and the other books they have chosen, but again, wondering if I will feel like it is enough.

AO- another possible option, but it scares me a little. I don't know if I am confident enough to make sure they are gleaning enough from their readings and grasping what they need to be grasping.

TOG- wow. it looks amazing. and overwhelming. On the one hand, I would love to have all that info and ideas, and it seems so thorough. Another thing I like is that the kids start taking charge of some of their own education. Again, the library wouldn't be an option, but we have lots of the book titles listed left over from previous missionaries here. I think it *could* be really great, but I'm scared of it at the same time.

So, what would you choose if you were in my situation. What wisdom do you have for me? Have you used one of these programs with children my children's ages and how did it go? Thank you so much!

Well, here's a thought. My DC are younger than yours and we are Canadian so we do our history cycle a bit differently. In any case...

We really like SL, if you like it, and it seems you do. Why not just add a TruthQuest guide for the period you are doing It would help with commentary and might give YOU as the teacher the extra background/perspective you feel you need to make your SL readings more meaningful. (Haven't tried TQ, but it came to mind based on what you were saying.)

Another option for you is Heart of Dakota. It is literature-based but does not depend on a library. It is very complete, well-organized, and open-and-go. It slowly begins to move students toward independence around 4th grade. It's a great mix of living books, very simple hands-on, lots of skill-building, and even some art and music. It leans CM in perspective but it definitely has some rigor to it at these upper levels! I am very pleased with all my son is learning with it. The history always has simple enrichment assignments that really help make it memorable. You can use whatever you like for math and grammar although they do have excellent suggestions (Singapore and R&S). If you like Sonight's book suggestions, you will also like HoD's.

So there's my sales pitch. :D

Ok, so I looked at HOD and I actually totally love it. It is really amazing. My older two could certainly work on the same level, but what would you do if you were me with a 2nd grader?

Would you do something like Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, or add in something else (say if you were studying Middle Ages) to keep him with the older two?

Just trying to think this through!

Thanks for the help!

Ok, so I looked at HOD and I actually totally love it. It is really amazing. My older two could certainly work on the same level, but what would you do if you were me with a 2nd grader?

Would you do something like Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, or add in something else (say if you were studying Middle Ages) to keep him with the older two?

Just trying to think this through!

Thanks for the help!

Beyond Little Hearts....is a great program for 2nd grade. OR you might look at AO for just your 2nd grader - if your olders did RTR (your middle dc might be a little young for it - you'd want to look at their placement chart, etc.), then your 2nd grader could do AO year 2 and everyone would be in the Middle Ages - though not lined up exactly. Like you, I never felt confident in how to develop skills with CM programs... but you could plan something like copywork 4 times/ week and narrations 3x/week dictated to you, you write it down - or mix it up.... let dc draw a picture and write one sentence to tell about it, etc.

I will say this... if you've loved SL in the past, you might find yourself drawn back to it again. My love is AO, and no matter what else I try to use (because it will allow me to combine, or it will solve my failure at notebooking or timelining or narrations or writing).... I end up migrating back to AO because I love it.

BUt if Core 5 isn't appealing (and I have never used SL, so I have no experience there), HOD might be a good one to get you past an SL core you don't like. Either one (HOD or SL) you have the issue of your age gap and what to do for your 2nd grader. (I feel your pain!)

Maybe take your list of things from above and prioritize them (what's most important? readers? worksheets? guidance for you? schedule? combining?) and then look at which programs either provide that, and if not, allow you to add in the missing components.

Best wishes as you think through your options!

Another Lynn,

Thank you for your thoughts. That actually helps a lot. I am going to sit down with all of these options and make a list.

I really do love AO, I love the book lists and, well, everything. I always get excited when I look through it, and then I get so overwhelmed when I think of using it! :) I have read so much CM stuff (books, articles, etc), but I often start to panic midway through a CM year thinking I am not doing enough, or doing it wrong, etc. :) That's why I'm trying to set myself up for success this next year.

That is an interesting idea, though, to use AO for the younger one and have the older two doing HOD. I like it! We'll have to see if I can work it out.

Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully answer me!!