Menu

Is the teacher guide for Critical THinking Book 1 needed?

I think it's needed, especially if you have a child who likes to argue with you and you need to point to the Answer Key for confirmation. (Speaking from my own experience, of course.) :)

On a more serious (or helpful) note, the TE includes comments about common pitfalls where students may get off track in their thinking. I found that very helpful. And it's always easier to come up with the correct answer with the TE in your hand - it will help prevent you from getting bogged down in some of the discussions.

Edited by amtmcm

I think it's needed, especially if you have a child who likes to argue with you and you need to point to the Answer Key for confirmation. (Speaking from my own experience, of course.) :)

Yikes! I'm getting ready to start this with two know-it-all sixth grade boys. Hopefully we make it through alive!

Has anyone used the software version? If so, what did you like/dislike about it?

Do you need to start with Level 1 if you haven't done critical thinking/logic before?

Do you actually mean Building Thinking Skills?

We are using the software for that and it works well for our school schedule. You do not need to do Level 1 first. (Level 2 is recommended for 5th grade logic in TWTM)

This...sorry -- I was confused. :D

Well then - what I like about the cd-rom (Building Thinking Skills) - it is self-checking and she can't progress without getting a certain proficiency - making it a subject that she can be completely independent from me. And it's a break from written and book work for her (a certain fun factor).

What I don't like - at first glance it seems too easy for fifth grade - but it seems to be a good balance afterall. It did appear that the workbook was more challenging. But would involve more of my time.

Capt have you used SWB's suggestions prior to Critical Thinking? I am looking at starting ds on Bldg Thinking Skills Figural 3 bc it did not look too bad, though we've not explicitly done logic before...then I figured we would go on to Critical Thinking 1. Just curious if you had past experience :) I'm putting my list together as well!

Brownie

We've done MIndbenders...finishing up A series and will complete B series by the end of the year. DS has done most of Building Thinking Skills Book 2...will finish that up over the summer. I'm toying /w BTS figural vs verbal....I don't know. I haven't placed my order yet. Still a few more days before free shipping expires.

Capt have you used SWB's suggestions prior to Critical Thinking? I am looking at starting ds on Bldg Thinking Skills Figural 3 bc it did not look too bad, though we've not explicitly done logic before...then I figured we would go on to Critical Thinking 1. Just curious if you had past experience :) I'm putting my list together as well!

Brownie

The 2nd Edition of TWTM did not include BTS for 5th grade. My oldest did Mindbenders in 5th grade and then did the Critical Thinking Books in 6th grade - no problem.

Have they re-done Building Thinking Skills? I don't remember figural vs. verbal.

I'm so glad I opened this thread. I bought book one, but I've been stumped as to how I'm going to use it with my 7th grader. There are definitely some answers I don't have. I didn't know there was a teacher guide. Whew!

Brenda, you asked for links. I found it at Amazon, Christianbook, and the publisher's website. I ordered a used copy from amazon, but I never pay full price when I don't have to. You can get it new at the other two links.