Menu

s/o of the minivan thread -- long-lasting minivans and seating

We are just starting to look at minivans; we have a truck that will hold us plus all four children, but a minivan would be more comfortable. We're looking into older minivans (like 8+ years old), because we really don't want to spend much, and I'd like to hear how your older vans are working for you. We've glanced at an older Chevy Astro and some older Dodge Caravans, for reasonable prices, but I'd like any comments. (Well, probably not for Hondas or Toyotas -- they are probably out of our budget.)

DH is a good amateur mechanic, so reasonable maintenance is okay, but if you've had to put a LOT into your minivan after it reached the 100K miles mark, I'd like to know. 400 miles a month would be a lot for us, and many weeks, it would be driven maybe 30 or 40 miles total.

We have a Ford Freestar -- it's been great! Doesn't have all the bells and whistles like our old Odessey but I think I like it better for that reason (less to break/less to fix.) Ours came cheap because it had been in a hail storm.

I was wondering about Freestars -- our other vehicles are all Fords, and I feel comfortable with them (and DH is pretty familiar with fixing them). So my first inclination was to look at Freestars. Thanks for the recommendation! There is a much larger pool from which to choose than when I bought my beloved Ford Expedition (now dead, due to a rollover accident -- which is why I am looking for something to hold 6 comfortably), and I didn't even know where to start with makes of vans!

We have a Ford Freestar -- it's been great! Doesn't have all the bells and whistles like our old Odessey but I think I like it better for that reason (less to break/less to fix.) Ours came cheap because it had been in a hail storm.

We've had huge problems with our Freestar, including a new transmission (which it turns out is a common problem with them), a $700 AC repair, multiple heating system repairs, door sensor replacement, $400 digital control board for the dash replacement, +$200 cruise control repair, etc. etc, etc.

I have had a Town & Country... it was a 1999, and we got it in 2002. I loved it, but the tranny had to be replaced shortly we got it :(

I have had a Ford Aerostar... it was a 92? and we got it in 2004. It was good to us.

I have had a Chevrolet Venture.... it was a 2001, and we bought it in 2006. LOVED the van, but it had constant issues :( I loved the seating 8 though, and 3 in the middle :)

Our next and last van was a Dodge Grand Caravan... it belonged to my MIL, she bought it brand new. Picked out everything she wanted and waited for it to be delivered. It is a 2002, has about 108,000 on it. They took good care of it, traveled a lot but they made sure they always had all their services, etc... done. We got in 2008. Right after we got it their was a computer issue with the transmission, but they fixed that. Right now I have O2 sensor out. But other then that I have had no problems, it drives like a dream, and I love it. I have a friend who had a Caravan too and she loved that van. If I had to do it again, I would buy another Caravan over any of the others.

Our Chrysler is now 10 years old with 150,000 miles. We haven't had any major problems, but some smaller issues like electric window motors that die and our back door mechanism stopped working. We are also starting to see rust starting, but we live in MN where the roads are covered in salt.