Menu

Pizza--If you cut back on cheese or don't eat cheese, do you still eat pizza?

I love pizza, and I like to have plenty of cheese on it. But prices on cheese seem to keep going up--I can't seem to find the sales on cheese that I used to. If you don't eat cheese at all, do you eat pizza? Cheese seems to be what holds it all together. Do you just make a regular pizza without cheese, or is there something else that seems to work well (or do you skip pizza altogether)? If you just cut back on your cheese consumption, do you just cut back on the cheese on pizza?

In our family, only 1 of 4 people really likes cheese on homemade pizza. Yes, the toppings fall off. We just put them back on. :001_smile: Sometimes I'll put a sprinkle of parmesan or feta on the pizza. It doesn't hold toppings on as much as it just adds a little flavor. I do generally like cheese on restaurant pizza .

I like cheese just fine but on pizza, I actually prefer it with very little cheese. My favorite is to put sauce (we usually save the hm sauce from spaghetti earlier in the week), then marinated artichoke hearts (quarters), then shredded baby spinach, then really just a sprinkling of cheese and sometimes I like to use fresh mozz that comes in little balls and just put a slice here and there.

So, no, I don't need a lot of cheese on pizza.

My daughter often eats cheese-less pizza b/c she lactose intollerant.

I like cheese just fine but on pizza, I actually prefer it with very little cheese. My favorite is to put sauce (we usually save the hm sauce from spaghetti earlier in the week), then marinated artichoke hearts (quarters), then shredded baby spinach, then really just a sprinkling of cheese and sometimes I like to use fresh mozz that comes in little balls and just put a slice here and there.

So, no, I don't need a lot of cheese on pizza.

My daughter often eats cheese-less pizza b/c she lactose intollerant.

Sounds so good!

I used to really love ooey, gooey pizza with tons of cheese. As I've gotten older and calories have started to catch up with me, I've learned to love pizza with just a small amount of cheese. I now put about 3 ounces of grated cheese on a 15-inch pizza, and I find that I really don't miss the extra at all. For us, the key is lots of other tasty toppings to give the pizza lots of flavor without a lot of cheese.

It's completely psychological :). Pizza has to have cheese to taste good, right? Not really, even though I love cheese on my pizza. Then, one day, I tried a pizza crust brushed with garlicky olive oil, and topped with balsamic roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms, and Oh My. :svengo: It was fantastic! If you wanted to top it with a little parm or feta, all the better, but seriously, it rocked all naked (without cheese, that is). Pizza is just an open face sandwich with some kind of sauce. Get crazy with it and I'm sure you'll find combinations that will make you forget all about the cheese.

I use veggie shreds. It melts & taste yummy on pizza.

Susan

We use Daiya for dd (dairy allergy). It actually almost tastes like cheese & melts like cheese (even coming from a dairy addict, lol). I was floored.

How much do veggie shreds or Daiya cost? I'm not worried about fat content, lactose tolerance/intolerance, or vegan vs. dairy. My primary concern is cost. The veggie shreds do sound good, though, and I've only heard about it just now from you.

How much do veggie shreds or Daiya cost? I'm not worried about fat content, lactose tolerance/intolerance, or vegan vs. dairy. My primary concern is cost. The veggie shreds do sound good, though, and I've only heard about it just now from you.

It really isn't that much more than a bag of normal shredded cheese. Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? They will sell it for sure.

Here it is online:

http://www.bigapplegrocer.net/scripts/Galaxy-Foods---Veggie-Shreds-Mozzarella-Cheese--7-oz-pkg~product~17087.htm

Susan

ETA - it really does taste like cheese! :)

Ours is about $4 for an 8oz bag of Daiya mozz style.

My youngest couldn't eat pizza with the normal amount of cheese that most restaurants put on. The texture & thickness of it was just too much.

There are so many pizza places around here that we'd ask how much they put on and then ask them to put half of that. Most places used about a pound of cheese and we'd ask them to put on a half-pound.

Now, for all of us, "normal" cheese seems gag-inducing. Weird.

I'd say if you need to use less cheese for any reason, decrease the sauce or omit it. Replace it with tomatoes then served sauce as dip on the side. I like when the toppings meld with the dough when there is little to no sauce. But I like the sauce so that's why I'd have some on the side.