Menu

Preparedness idea for those expecting a power outage

We don't have a generator and are almost completely electricity dependent. So I have been trying to bake some things that can be eaten easily at room temperature, like muffins and bread. However, for anything warm, what will we do? A friend reminded me we had propane on our grill, so dh moved our grill into our screened in porch to be ready to use. So I have also been making soup today that can easily be warmed on the grill, if necessary. I thought it was a great idea and wanted to share, in case some of you have gas grills, too.

Janna, what will you do for heat? Does your propane, fuel oil, etc. furnace require electricity??? I worry about everyone under these circumstances.

The grill is a great idea. For power outages, we break out the coleman cookstove and start eating "camp" food. Dh also grills inside our wood boiler...yum, yum.

Faith

We will wear lots of layers and stay together! I have enough candles that we could hole up in a bedroom and the candles would keep us warm. We all have down comforters we could wrap in. We do have a fireplace, but honestly I don't know if that would help or hurt. The room is large, and then leads into the kitchen and a hallway, so I don't think it would be practical for heating - just an added light source - which is definitely something to consider. But I'm afraid with the flue open, we would lose more heat than gain it, you know? Really, there's nothing else we can do. At least we have a roof and walls to protect us from the wind.

Hi Janna, I'm glad you have a plan. Think of the fireplace as a campfire...very soothing and that alone has a lot of value. You could heat a small area a little bit if you can bring out boxes, tubs etc. and build some six or seven foot high "walls" around the fireplace area and then stay inside with your down comforters.

Faith

Lots of canned goods, like beans, fruit cocktail etc are handy when having trouble. Our furnace has been on the fritz all winter, and with one of our coldest winters on record we have learned to deal with a house with no heat. Layers are a great thing, we have stayed warm with house coats, slippers and hats in the house over our clothes. I keep the youngest in footed jammies during the day on the dayas teh furnace is not working. You may get to a point of wanting to use that furnace if the power outage lasts more than about 24 hours. Trsust me, we have gone as long as 72 hours with no heat this winter(the furnace currently has 2 settings, full blast, or off- and you never know when it will actually blow hot or blow cold), and I can say if we had a fire place it would get well used. After about 12 hours your house is pretty darned cold, by 72 hours it feels subarctic. So make sure you have wood etc ready in case you get to that point, you could also cook on it - make the whole ordeal a memory by roasting hot dogs and marshmallows in the livingroom. Hang a blanket blocking the hallway etc entrance from the room with the fireplace, it will help slow down the heat loss from it.

Let us know when you make it through.

The lights went out for about 5 minutes last night, while the boys were playing up in their room, and they freaked out a little. I was downstairs and couldn't get to them right away.

So, now, I've put flashlights in their room that they can easily access. We are going to bring more wood into the garage for the fireplace. We've had two occasions during other winters where the electricity was out for hours and we cuddled around the fireplace.

I'm putting batteries in the little hand held TV that dh takes on fishing trips, and in the camping lantern. We have a crank radio, too, that I'm setting out.

If you haven't planned for frozen pipes and you'll be subzero, now is a good time.

Another thing I do is fill the bathtub (no little guys so I don't have to lock it) so we can have water for flushing and fill all the camping water jugs for drinking water.

Ok, so people are filling bathtubs & preparing drinking water in case their pipes freeze? Half the people I know are posting on FB that they're preparing for no water if the power goes out & I couldn't figure out WHY water would magically disappear just b/c there's no power. Possible frozen pipes make sense though.

Ok, so people are filling bathtubs & preparing drinking water in case their pipes freeze? Half the people I know are posting on FB that they're preparing for no water if the power goes out & I couldn't figure out WHY water would magically disappear just b/c there's no power. Possible frozen pipes make sense though.

Won't keeping the water running keep the pipes from freezing? I thought I read that somewhere.

We have a well, and the pump runs on electricity. No electricity, no water!

Our propane grill also fizzled out on us a few weeks ago. :glare:

Fortunately, our community clubhouse has a generator. We have plenty of stuff to pack up and share with the rest of our electric neighbors. After 5 years here, I fully intend to have our own generator NEXT year!

For people with wells, the pump that pumps the water up from the well is usually run with electricity. When we lose electricity, we lose water. This may not be an issue if you have city water as they may have a back-up power source to pump the water on through.

Won't keeping the water running keep the pipes from freezing? I thought I read that somewhere.

Me too. We have a faucet that's leaking & I was thinking that that was good timing!

We have a well, and the pump runs on electricity. No electricity, no water!

The bathtub water is for the the toilet needs if we lose power to the well pump. I'm on town water, so I know from past experience that I could be on my own for a bit if no one can get through the ice storm to restart the pump if it goes out for a while. I'd just rather be able to flush and wash my hands.

Ah, these make sense, but the people I know don't have pumps. I thought I was missing some major thing about water being somehow powered by electricity, but we've never lost water when we've lost power so I was confused.