Menu

Figuratively Speaking-quick question

Yes, we use it as a workbook, and I would get each student their own copy. We are enjoying it!

:iagree:

You could use it as a non-consumable by having the student copy the exercises onto a separate piece of paper but I'm using it with a student who is cognitively far ahead of her ability to physically write.

I use it as a non-consumable since I do lessons when I want to support another assignment in literature. For example, if we are doing Longfellow's "Midnight Ride of Paul Revere," we might do the allusion and consonance and assonance lessons. These get stored in the poetry section of ds's Literature notebook. I have also used the book with different kids. Whatever works for you. If they work out of the books, you don't have to file anything and the kids can always find them.

I'm using Figuratively Speaking by Delana Heidrich, isbn 0881603171, copyright 2004 The Learning Works. It is reproducible by the individual teacher for use in her classroom. I cut the spine off mine with a paper cutter to make it easy to photocopy. I ran them such that the start of each new lesson is on a fresh sheet of paper. That way I can put individual lessons into dd's daily work packets. Or you could run the pages either front to back or all onto one side and bind to make a nice workbook. It's a very lovely, easy to implement curriculum.

Yes, that's the one, and I think it's a great book to use, even if you don't have any experience with these terms. The examples and explanations are very clear...and even enjoyable!

Each lesson is set up more or less like this: for each term, it gives the definition, several examples from literature, exercises to identify places where it's used (eg identify the alliteration in these sentences), then a place to try using it yourself, coming up with your own words. This last part is the hardest part, imho...it's hard to think of things containing these devices. The book is laid out very well, nice fonts, good format--can you tell I really like this resource?

Hope that helps a little!

Thank you both. Have added it to my Wish List :).

It was a little amusing yesterday. Dh was sitting near me while I was reading this thread. I asked him, quite reluctantly, since that's been my attitude towards teaching this sort of stuff ;), if it's necessary to teach all this. His response: "Well, yeah! (sort of like "duh???)" I then said, "Really?" He said, "Yep, what were you thinking? Of course all that needs to be taught."

I guess you just had to be there. :lol: ;)

That's the one, Negin.

We reallly like it. No prior knowledge necessary.

Just saw your siggy line. You're doing great with all these goals and challenges. :D