Menu

How to get dog to potty on all this ice?

My dog seems completely confused by all of the ice. Dh has chopped up portions in our yard so she can smell and feel the grass, but it doesn't seem to be helping. She's just completely unsure of what to do - or so she's acting anyway. With all of the additional freezing rain and sleet coming, not to mention the winds, I need her to get used to this and go out, do her business and come right back in. How can I help her with this? We don't have a fence or anything and she's prone to dart off so we're stuck with standing out there with her on a leash. This is not going to work soon. Any ideas?

My dog seems completely confused by all of the ice. Dh has chopped up portions in our yard so she can smell and feel the grass, but it doesn't seem to be helping. She's just completely unsure of what to do - or so she's acting anyway. With all of the additional freezing rain and sleet coming, not to mention the winds, I need her to get used to this and go out, do her business and come right back in. How can I help her with this? We don't have a fence or anything and she's prone to dart off so we're stuck with standing out there with her on a leash. This is not going to work soon. Any ideas?

Janna, Oh dear. As dog owners ourselves this is what we would do. We live in the south, but are both from northern states originally. Perhaps your dh could break up more areas spaced apart. Maybe 3 places. Dogs like to use those noses and mark areas. So, perhaps s/he can't smell the previous "work". Also, our lab "kicks back". Does yours do that. So, maybe a few more places.

Also, our neighbor next door has smaller dogs and uses potty blankets. I don't know what they called, but they are sheets of lined paper the size of a queen pillow maybe and those are for "accidents" in the house. I hate to recommend that b/c it seems like that would be encouraging your pet to go potty inside.

Do you speak the word "potty"? When I take our lab out and she's fiddling around doing what??? yes, sniffing (b/c they can't get enough LOL) I'll say, "go potty"! She complies and if she takes too long I bring her in b/c she must associate going out on leash after breakfast/dinner with potty.

HTH. Sheryl <><

PS....I don't know where Soph's been, but she'd know.

Thanks for responding, Sheryl.

I will ask dh to break up more areas. But honestly, after a bit we're supposed to get inundated with more ice, so those areas he will break up will only help with her going potty right now, not again later.

I do tell her to "go potty" when she's outside and she almost always complies immediately. That's how I know she's confused, or scared or something. Because she sniffs around so much, I think that's what is causing her the confusion. I would assume she can't smell anything through the ice.

I don't have the potty grass training pad thing (LOL) for going potty inside, and really I don't think I can get out of our neighborhood to get it either. We probably have over an inch of ice on the ground. My last resort is going to be to get beach towels and put them in the laundry room for her to go on - if she would even think to do it. She'll probably choose my down comforter instead that we'll use to keep warm when the power goes out, lol.

Thanks again for responding.

I have been taking mine out on a leash and giving them their command of go potty. They seem so lost but figure it out after a couple minutes...now Im just hoping my large dog doesnt decide to dash off because I will go with her, my porch is a sheet of ice.

I couldn't help but laugh though, because while my puppy was peeing, she was sliding across the ice and looked SO confused!