Menu

Party planning help! got long - sorry!

My dh turns 40 this week, and we are having a low key party on Sat. Most of the attendees will be older than us (by 2-25 yrs), so I really want to make this a celebration of having reached a new decade rather than a "you're so old" party.

So...food first. We have the potential for there to be 42 people at this thing. (including us) I was planning on a cheese tray and veggie tray for appetizers; a pan of goulash, a big crockpot of pulled pork, a green salad, some good crusty bread, and some cheese puff biscuit things as the main foods, and of course cake. I'll probably make some cookies too. For drinks we'll have the usual soda, beer, wine, and our family tradition tea punch.

I really feel like I'm lacking in the appetizer/snack food area. Any ideas? Comments on the rest of the menu are welcome too!

Now, for 'entertainment'. I don't have much planned. I figure we're all adults and can manage to mingle and have conversations without needing to be directed.;) As far as the few children that will be here, they are all friends with my kids and will gladly retire to the various bedrooms and make a fine mess with toys. I did ask that everyone bring their instruments. My dh plays with these guys, and I thought an impromptu jam session would be a lot of fun for him. The only birthday type thing I have planned is a "Decade Timeline". I thought I would take pics of him as an infant, age 10, 20, etc and try to highlight a few key things that happened in those years. Does anyone have any other ideas that will celebrate my dh without requiring people to participate in a cheesy party game?

As far as decorations...HELP! I have no idea, and I need to decorate the whole house.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for any ideas you can come up with. I'm a hermit, and completely out of my depth here. I'd like it to turn out well though. My dh is an amazing man and really deserves to have a great evening.

Can you use the pictures and timeline events as your decorations? Have little areas set up with a picture of a certain age, some info form that time period and a decoration from that time period as well?

80's big hair could be a can of hair spray(even made from a papertowel roll and some paper and sharpies or a fake wig)

10 year old age(maybe some legos set up)

Things like that.

Have fun!

Can you use the pictures and timeline events as your decorations? Have little areas set up with a picture of a certain age, some info form that time period and a decoration from that time period as well?

80's big hair could be a can of hair spray(even made from a papertowel roll and some paper and sharpies or a fake wig)

10 year old age(maybe some legos set up)

Things like that.

Have fun!

Oh - great idea! I had thought it would be a long strip, but I love the visual of spreading it around and including things from that time frame. Thank you!

I don't know if this is anything you'd want to do but it is really great fun. It can go from really serious to fantastically hilarious in just a moment. We go to an annual fiddle (weekend long)contest that begins on Friday. On Thursday, though, almost everyone is in the campground and they do this. I hope I explain it well.

They have two hats. In one hat are lots of strips of paper, each with a song title written on it. They use a WIDE variety of songs so that there are plenty that the youngsters won't know, some the oldsters don't know, some the non-religious won't know (hymns), some of every kind. In the other hat everyone puts in, I think, $5 to join the game.

A few judges volunteer or are chosen. The first fiddler chooses a song. You may think that the object is to play the song well or better than the other players but it isn't. The object is to play it well enough to convince the judges that you know it. You might get a song that everyone knows but you don't necessarily know how to play. You have to at least be able to scratch it out well enough to prove that you know what it is. You might get one that you have never in your life heard of. What you have to consider is that the judge may have never heard of it either . . . but he doesn't know if you have or not. It becomes a bluffing game. It can be really hilarious at times.

In addition to the fun of the game, it's an enormous pleasure to listen to some incredible music.

So, if many of your party guests will already have their instruments there, you could break into those who have instruments play and those who don't judge. You wouldn't have to have a pot for entry but you could give a silly prize to the winner.

I don't know if this is anything you'd want to do but it is really great fun. It can go from really serious to fantastically hilarious in just a moment. We go to an annual fiddle (weekend long)contest that begins on Friday. On Thursday, though, almost everyone is in the campground and they do this. I hope I explain it well.

They have two hats. In one hat are lots of strips of paper, each with a song title written on it. They use a WIDE variety of songs so that there are plenty that the youngsters won't know, some the oldsters don't know, some the non-religious won't know (hymns), some of every kind. In the other hat everyone puts in, I think, $5 to join the game.

A few judges volunteer or are chosen. The first fiddler chooses a song. You may think that the object is to play the song well or better than the other players but it isn't. The object is to play it well enough to convince the judges that you know it. You might get a song that everyone knows but you don't necessarily know how to play. You have to at least be able to scratch it out well enough to prove that you know what it is. You might get one that you have never in your life heard of. What you have to consider is that the judge may have never heard of it either . . . but he doesn't know if you have or not. It becomes a bluffing game. It can be really hilarious at times.

In addition to the fun of the game, it's an enormous pleasure to listen to some incredible music.

So, if many of your party guests will already have their instruments there, you could break into those who have instruments play and those who don't judge. You wouldn't have to have a pot for entry but you could give a silly prize to the winner.

That sounds like a fun game. I'll def see if they want to do it!