Menu

Sams Club

Toilet paper, meat, cheese, dog food, fresh and frozen veggies and fruit, oatmeal, cold cereal (when we buy it), baking items (flour, choc chips- unless I can get them on sale), butter (depends on the season. I can find it cheaper at other places during certain times of the year). Peanut butter and jelly (if we run out of homemade).

I can find milk and eggs cheaper elsewhere. Milk is over $3 a gal at Sams right now.

Edited by laughing lioness

What about things like pasta, pasta sauce, canned goods, snacks??

If this helps, some normal "staples" for us are (yes, I realize a lot of this is not good for us):

Flour tortillas

Shredded cheese

Frozen chicken breasts

Pasta

Chicken broth

Beef broth

Spaghetti sauce

Coffee

Canned fruit (packaged in juice, not syrup)

Stick margarine

Milk

Eggs

Cold cereal

Crackers

Chips

Salsa

Bread

Frozen chicken nuggets

Macaroni & cheese (I really like the individual size ones)

Green peppers

Onions

Peanut butter

Jelly

Yogurt

Grapes

Graham crackers

I'll probably think of more.....

What items have you found to be good deals? What items to avoid?

I plan to make a trip today & don't know all of my pricing & quantities well enough to make smart decisions.

Thanks!

I buy flour, chocolate chips, nuts, rice, dried pinto beans, vinegar (I use this in my laundy and cleaning, so buy it by the gallon), kielbasa and other sausages, produce (sometimes), ziplocs, garbage bags, and I always browse through the clothing to see what they have and what they've marked down.

I used to buy some meat there, mainly hamburger in the 10 lb chubs, but we just bought 1/2 beef. A lot of the meat I could get cheaper at my grocery store, unless it had been marked down at Sam's, so it does pay to know what the prices are normally at your stores.

What about things like pasta, pasta sauce, canned goods, snacks??

If this helps, some normal "staples" for us are (yes, I realize a lot of this is not good for us):

Flour tortillas

Shredded cheese

Frozen chicken breasts

Pasta

Chicken broth

Beef broth

Spaghetti sauce

Coffee

Canned fruit (packaged in juice, not syrup)

Stick margarine

Milk

Eggs

Cold cereal

Crackers

Chips

Salsa

Bread

Frozen chicken nuggets

Macaroni & cheese (I really like the individual size ones)

Green peppers

Onions

Peanut butter

Jelly

Yogurt

Grapes

Graham crackers

I'll probably think of more.....

I buy our tortillas at Walmart - they're cheaper and don't have hydrogenated fats in them. We used to buy shredded cheese at Sam's and it often was a good price, but it was one of the items that the price fluctuated by a few dollars a 5lb bag. Pasta is often a good deal, and I've found good prices on spaghetti sauce (sometimes it's been marked down at Sam's), but you do have to know what you normally pay.

I don't buy canned broth, only boxes w/o MSG, so haven't found that at Sam's. The salsa is a good price, but it's a big container (at least of the Pace). I don't buy chips there because you have to buy 2 bags at a time of some of the name brand ones, and the price is more expensive than my grocery store. I don't know about some of the other stuff - we only buy organic peanut butter, and don't buy chicken nuggets, but they do have some good prices in their frozen section :)

toilet paper

Kleenex

paper towels

bathroom cups

paper products of all kinds if you use them. plates, napkins, etc. (They get nice seasonal ones in for parties

cheeses

butter

cottage cheese

frozen items

books

video games

tax program yearly

cereal

real maple syrup;)

coffee & tea we don't drink them anymore though

popcorn

vitamins

shampoo

conditioner

Dove soap

some medications

glasses

printer cartridges

tv's

I buy some produce at Sam's, but only US grown

I don't find most canned goods to be cheaper at Sams, especially if I have a coupon to use at the regular store. The same is lately becoming true for paper products. Maybe the good prices have somethign to do with local competition??

What I typically buy at Sam's is

olive oil

oatmeal

popcorn kernels and salt

pecans, walnuts, almonds

Silk soy milk

lunch meats and cheeses (many are hormone etc free)

frozen veggies

Some baking supplies and spices

diapers and pull-ups, wipes

jerky

lettuce

carrots

cucumbers

occassionally other fruits and veggies depending on price

If we are needing large quantities I have found the following to be cheaper by far - but I don't often need large quantities

hot dog buns

chips

candy and chocolate

I seem to buy more clothing, books, and movies there than food.

You really need to know what you pay at your regular stores. Not everything at Sams is a good deal.

I'm in FL, so what is a good deal here may not be for you in the Midwest.

Ground beef-90% lean, $2.89/lb

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, $1.99/lb (I prefer to buy these from Publix supermarket when they go on sale for $1.99 because they are better quality/cut. But if I run out before the sale cycle comes around again, I'll buy them at Sam's.)

Ricotta cheese

Fresh mozzarella

Refrigerated ravioli

Romaine lettuce

Apples, usually about $1/lb

Yukon Gold potatoes

Lemons

Tortillas

Turkey Bacon

Bagel Bites

Juice boxes (when it's our turn to bring snack for sports)

Hefty Force Flex garbage bags

Jet Dry

Printer ink

Just looked back at your list. Milk, eggs, and cheeses are fairly inexpensive at our Sams. The shredded cheeses will be your normal Kraft variety and eggs are the same ordinary variety. They do carry Horizon milk and regular milk cheaper than the local stores. I sometimes buy pastas at Sams but it depends on what they have. The 'ordinary' pastas are cheaper and in a big quantity. I prefer whole wheat and my Sam's doesn't always carry that.

I do something a bit unconventional at Sam's. I go and get the HUGE cans of tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes (usually 2-3 dollars) then I go over to the nacho cheese cans and take one of their plastic lids. I put the plastic lids on my tomatoe sauce...and Viola' a lid for that giant can!!!

We go thru a ton of spagetti/pizza sauce. I also do this with the canned fruit sometimes!!!

The deals are really where it is at. Look in the courmet cheese section...anything ending in a .01, .81, basically ending in a one cent is clearanced. Seasonaly, I get awesome deals on pesto, ravioloi, brie...things like that.