Menu

Singapore Math

mlktwins

We use the US Edition. I can't really remember why but I did look into it before deciding. I think maybe because it came with the home Instructor's guide, which is better suited for homeschooling? IDK but it has worked just fine for us. :)

I would say the textbook is definately necessary. My DS10 is in SM 4B and uses the textbook, workbook, intensive practice, and we do the mental math from the HIG.

HTH! :)

With DS 2 I'm sticking with the US edition because it is less expensive and since I know what it is about why spend more money?

).

FWIW....

Spy Car made mention that STE is actually a little less per page than US Edition. I'm assuming because STE has more content.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241228

(Post #8)

FWIW....

Spy Car made mention that STE is actually a little less per page than US Edition. I'm assuming because STE has more content.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241228

(Post #8)

Yeah... but you don't necessarily NEED all those extra pages. (Too much repetition?) The Standard Edition IS more expensive.

I haven't used the HIGs, as I find the teaching in the textbook rather obvious. (I do have and have looked through many of the HIGs, but they just decorate my shelves.)

I like the US edition 'cause it's cheaper (and I already had most of the textbooks, so why repurchase?). There is an answer booklet you can get for just a few dollars that contains the answers to the textbook practice sets and the workbook exercises. So, you don't need the HIGs to check the kids' work.

I have not used SE. I had no trouble with the US edition. I didn't buy the instructor guide until 5A and even then I hardly use it. So far I have only used it to quickly check answers. With DS 2 I'm sticking with the US edition because it is less expensive and since I know what it is about why spend more money?

I think you do need the textbook.

I don't consider myself particularly mathy, but everything clicked for me without a problem. I would consider myself fairly creative though, so I have had no problems coming up with ways to teach various concepts (without a guide).

Same here. We started with the US edition and I just never saw a reason to switch. We used the textbooks, workbooks, and CWP with dd, but now that ds is also using Singapore we are doing just the text and will add in CWP when he hits the higher levels. I haven't bothered with the instructor guide. Singapore teaches math in a way that makes sense to me and to dd, so I have felt more than comfortable without it.

Yeah... but you don't necessarily NEED all those extra pages. (Too much repetition?) The Standard Edition IS more expensive.

I haven't used the HIGs, as I find the teaching in the textbook rather obvious. (I do have and have looked through many of the HIGs, but they just decorate my shelves.)

I like the US edition 'cause it's cheaper (and I already had most of the textbooks, so why repurchase?). There is an answer booklet you can get for just a few dollars that contains the answers to the textbook practice sets and the workbook exercises. So, you don't need the HIGs to check the kids' work.

Oh, is it because of the repetition? I thought because it had more topics. Oh well, whatever!

I hardly think the extra review in the SE comes anywhere close to being overkill. It is just right IMO.

YMMV.

Bill

I wouldn't ordinarily mention "repetition," but I figured this was the accelerated learner board, so...

There are some on this particular board who cut out some of the repetition in Singapore's Primary Math. We do that, too, from time to time. So -- I was just pointing out that the Standards version has *more* repetition for those who might consider that when choosing between the two versions of Primary Math.

Do I want Primary Math Standard Edition or US Edition? Also, for the lower grades, is the textbook necessary?

Thanks much!

The SE is supposed to have a better Home Instructor's Guide as well as a little more content. I would definitely purchase the textbook. The workbook is practice of what you learned in the textbook.

I find the SE Home Instructor's Guide to be far more than answers. It gives additional activities especially relating to mental math.

I wouldn't ordinarily mention "repetition," but I figured this was the accelerated learner board, so...

There are some on this particular board who cut out some of the repetition in Singapore's Primary Math. We do that, too, from time to time. So -- I was just pointing out that the Standards version has *more* repetition for those who might consider that when choosing between the two versions of Primary Math.

One unfamiliar with Singapore Math would need to understand it is one of the least "repetitive" programs available. The Standards Edition (to my thinking) is hardly onerous in its "extra" practice (we are not talking about something like Saxon here). Could there be accelerated students who need material cut because they are so quick on the uptake? Sure.

That could happen with the US Edition as well. Those same students might benefit from the earlier exposure of topics in the Standards Edition, I would think.

Bill (who does not see this as a hill to die on)

One unfamiliar with Singapore Math would need to understand it is one of the least "repetitive" programs available. The Standards Edition (to my thinking) is hardly onerous in its "extra" practice (we are not talking about something like Saxon here). Could there be accelerated students who need material cut because they are so quick on the uptake? Sure.

That could happen with the US Edition as well. Those same students might benefit from the earlier exposure of topics in the Standards Edition, I would think.

Bill (who does not see this as a hill to die on)

:iagree:

We used the US edition because the standard's one wasn't out when we first started with SM.

If you use the HiG, you probably don't need the textbook for the first couple of levels. We rarely used it at those ages. Or you can use the textbook and skip the workbook and simply do the problems in the text. There isn't a lot of repetition, but the two of mine who did this were also doing MUS during this stage (I went from Saxon to MUS to SM for my middle dd and have stayed chiefly with SM). My eldest wouldn't have needed more than the text for those 2 stages had she been at home then because she needed very little repetition or review before Algebra (and even then needs relatively little most of the time.

FWIW, I started out having my DD skip the reviews because they *WERE* overkill at the time that they are scheduled in the textbooks. However, I've since discovered that doing them 1/2 level behind is just perfect. My DD is now in 4A and she's doing the 3B reviews on Fridays. She'll do the 4A reviews when she's in 4B and so on.

FWIW, I started out having my DD skip the reviews because they *WERE* overkill at the time that they are scheduled in the textbooks. However, I've since discovered that doing them 1/2 level behind is just perfect. My DD is now in 4A and she's doing the 3B reviews on Fridays. She'll do the 4A reviews when she's in 4B and so on.

Thanks for posting this. I am in the middle of trying to schedule 3A and was thinking the same thing about the reviews. I will have to give this some thought as my son does need to have regular review of earlier topics.

We use US edition because that is all I could find when I was buying it the first year, and I've seen no reason to switch. We are also one of the families that cuts some of the repetition from the SM. Ds is in 3A right now, and finds it tedious to do all the money exercises that are, as he says, just subtraction with a dot in the middle.