Menu

Staining a faded wood playground set......

Has anyone ever done it? My son's playground is 3 years old and the sun/weather have really faded it. The canopy was torn off by the wind. I am planning on getting a new canopy, but I would like to make it look more new by staining it.

If you have done this please share with me how you did it. Thanks!

DH did something similar, but w/our deck and fence. He power-washed it, sanded any rough area, then stained it. I would recommend the power-washing as it will help get rid of the crud that has accumulated on the wood. Our deck/fence went from gray-brown to a light blond color.

I re-stain our playset every 2-3 years. The last time I did ours, I was 8.5 months pregnant. He's now 2 and I can see I'll be doing it again this summer.

We have a Rainbow playset, so I just go to the place we purchased it and buy the Rainbow stain. It has a weather protector in the stain. I just literally paint on the stain as I would paint a wall.

However, I have noticed the wood on our playset is starting to crack in places. Part of me thinks I should just sand the whole thing this summer and re-stain, but oh my, that will be a big job. So we'll see. part of me also thinks I should mention the cracks and overall appearance of the wood to the place we bought it because it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

Anyway, all that to say, I just buy stain and paint it on. :)

Our set is 3 years old and hasn't needed stained yet as it's in the shade for much of the day. The place we bought it offers a cleaning and staining service and I'm leaning toward paying to have it done when it needs it. Our set is quite large and I think it would take a long time for me to do it!