Menu

So how bad is it where you are?

Not as bad as I thought, but apparently it's going to get worse as the day wears on. Woke up to sleet against the windows. I covered my windshield last night with a cover and faced the car away from the wind, so it wasn't too bad getting out. But, the roads are miserable. My little Scion slid all over the place and I was running stop signs and lights. Thankfully, most of today's traffic is snow plows and salt trucks so I didn't run into anyone. I wasn't going to go out at all today, but our food co-op pick up was today and the truck could actually make it here, so I went. I have no plans to leave the house for the rest of the day!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the DFW area in Texas. Cars are moving fine on the road, looks like.. but our parking lot is *quite* another story. It's a mess. Cars are frozen into their spots, and the actual parking lot is very slick. Plus, there's an upward slope to get out/downward slope to get into the parking lot...

So I've gone from desperately wanting baby to come, to hoping baby stays put because if she decides to start coming I may or may not be able to get out of the parking lot!! But we live down the street from the fire station..and because my husband had to go to work this morning, our car is not currently frozen into a parking spot like so many others.. So even if she does decide to come, there's hope :)

The scary part is that it's not supposed to get above freezing until Friday...

Are the poles shifting? It is warm here in northern Maine. We got all the way up to 13*F.

The low in North Texas is supposed to be 8 or 9 degrees. I think the poles are shifting!!!

The roads here are quite awful in some places...traffic jams because the cars just can't move because of the ice. And it's supposed to stay below freezing until Friday!!!

We live north of Chicago near the IL/WI state line. It snowed all day here (lake effect) and now the real blizzard is here. The wind is just howling and I can only see a few houses down the street. We are supposed to get almost two feet of blowing/drifting snow. Be safe, everyone!

Adrianne in IL

Are the poles shifting? It is warm here in northern Maine. We got all the way up to 13*F.

Dh says, that's summer in Maine, isn't it? (13 degrees). But don't take him too seriously. After that, he added, "I think that if you smashed me with a brick I'd feel better." (He's sick. So am I, but I don't know if I'm to that point yet, and I thought I was worse than him.)

we have about 3 inches of snow here in nm! which for us is a welcomed site. it is supposed to get down to 7 with a wind chill off 39 below!!! we have been used to having 50-70 degree weather! plus our heater is broken! hubby is out right now buying another electric heater.

Well I think it is only going to get up to 85 today but we are prepared for it. :D

That's a real tough spot to be in, Heather! ;)

I-70 through the entire state of MO is CLOSED. At my house, we've only gotten about 4 inches of icy snow. As I watched the radar off and on today, it looked like a pocket developed a little to the west/south of St. Louis and that area wasn't getting as much as other areas.

I'm SO happy that we have electricity!

AMEN! :D PS, Chelle: Today when I was searching this board for ways that "wise women" (that's you) prepared for the storm, I came across the thread your hubby posted on your anniversary. AW! :001_wub: Love it!

Oh, thank you! He is such a sweetie. A right-brained engineer--there aren't many of those gems!

By the way, this "wise woman" bought groceries in preparation for the storm, but only things that we need electricity to cook! Ooops. That could have turned out to not be so wise! That's why I'm so glad our power is still on! Of course, Mr. Engineer was ready to get out the Coleman camp stove if necessary.

I still can't understand why our gas furnace and gas water heater won't work if our electricity is out! Well, I DO understand, but in my black and white world that just doesn't make good sense! ;)

My mom, in central MO, has 16 inches now!

By the way, this "wise woman" bought groceries in preparation for the storm, but only things that we need electricity to cook! Ooops.

YAY! Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :lol: I've been good about things like keeping the dishes laundry done in case the power goes out, but failed to think about actually heating up the food. Oopsie!

Way to go with the alternative plan with the camping equipment. Good call! I think if it comes down to it, we'll have our dog pull us on sleds over to the in-laws who have a generator. :D

YAY! Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :lol: I've been good about things like keeping the dishes laundry done in case the power goes out, but failed to think about actually heating up the food. Oopsie!

Oh, dishes. :glare: I haven't done dishes all day. They're piling up. I was going to leave them for tomorrow since I'm sick.

We're ready! I have food, gas for the generator and school (College for ds) is canceled tomorrow!

It's supposed to be clear and sunny Thursday. I don't think we'll be cooped up long.

At times like this, I'm glad we have natural gas for heat & a gas water heater and stove. Life goes on (once I get the sucker started anyway...).

I'm not getting up to look right now, but I am starting to hear the wind whipping snow against the windows. :tongue_smilie:

We had icy rain the beginning of the week. It started snowing today, and tonight is when we're supposed to get the real blizzard. It's supposed to snow until tomorrow afternoon. A neighboring town was supposed to get 24". I don't know if I'll be able to go anywhere until next week!

About four inches of fluff so far. Of course, that's on top of the 3-4 feet we have on the ground and our roofs. We're supposed to get 10", but the good stuff won't happen until tomorrow. ;)

That's the worst part: the "old" snow never melted! We can step over the table in our side yard. What's next?

I thank God we are in the rain.....although my bathroom in the basement isn't liking the rain! (the floor is crying.....ugh!) I would like the 40 degree weather but the dampness makes me ache! I have been watching the weather channel in amazement.....I think everyone will be ready for spring! Wonder how big of a line of "hunters" there will be if the "groundhog" predicts 6 more weeks of winter? :glare:

We're getting hammered hard in the Chicago area. Wow! I can't remember the last time we had a storm like this. The winds are whipping so hard and it's a complete white-out. We've got drifts on both front and back porches, piling up against the doors. It'll be interesting to see how much we have when we get up in the morning. Just hoping not to lose power. The light briefly flickered a few times earlier but so far we're hanging on. Good luck to everyone! :grouphug:

It is on the news website, I should have been more clear.

It now says "397" so I guess there was stuff left.

I just realized it is listing churches as well...that number doesn't seem so huge if churches are included.

I figured that's where you got the number from. Ours (the news website) doesn't have a count...just a list.

parts of our 6ft privacy fence are drifted over. The drift by the front & back doors are at least 5ft tall

But you can still see the grass on the East side of the house. :D

We are going anywhere anytime soon. Digging out from the drifts is going to be a chore. They're tall and deep.

19 inches of snow fell over night. Blizzard warning has ended. Still snowing, but just a tad. If you don't have a large 4 wheel drive vehicle you aren't going anywhere today. All the big manufacturing plants have closed as well as all schools and colleges..but, DH's plant is open.

He did a "donut" run this morning..first to the bakery and then "donuts" in the parking lot.

He is loving it.

If it's any consolation, I would love to see snow! And, while your nasty weather comes in the winter, ours comes in the summer.

I took a look at your location, and have no idea where you are, because when I think of world famous beaches, I don't think of FL;). I suspect that this comes from having grown up mainly in BC & CA. If you do look for snow, then reverse the trend and head up north for a winter holiday:D.

After our snow we had some freezing sleet and today it's raining. What a mess!

Here in Cincinnati it was all bluster. In more ways than one! It was sooo windly overnight that it apparently dried up all the rain from last night. That's probably a good thing, cuz the temp this morning is in the 20s. There's a bit of snow falling, a very little bit this morning, so I think we escaped the worst.

We're in a suburb just north of Chicago. Dh, ds and I have been shovelling since 7:30 this morning, just the driveway.

A plower from a neighboring suburbs drove into the apron of our driveway and dumped the street snow there throughout the night (our house is on an odd road that is partly one suburb and partly another), and now we have a solidly-packed wall of snow about 7' tall and 10' wide to ice pick through. I'm thinking it will take us all about three more hours to clear it. Thanks, plow guy. :glare:

It's windddddy and we're digging out. The temperature is 7', but the windchill is -10', and we're expecting more snow today. We ended up with 12 new inches on top of the old snow. It's pretty, but I've no desire to go out there.:chillpill:

I'm so glad dh is home today and was able to take his time with the snow-blower, and that the power stayed on.

Edited by Tammyla