Menu

Is it me? I just can't open the book Landmark by Boorstin.

daisychics

I look at the Reader's Guide where it tells me to skip this, don't read that, cross out this sentence.....I just want to give it up. :glare: Then when we do the Story of USA - I feel like it's too fast and too much info. in 2 pages.

*sigh* It's my fault because I don't know what I'm doing... I'm frustrated because ds will be in 5th grade next year and I still don't know what I'm doing.

I spent so much to buy Core3/4 and now it's not being done (again). We are reading all the readers and read alouds (we're only on week 6- this is where Landmark begins). I want to go back to SOTW and use the readers from SL. :001_unsure:

Ugh... thanks for listening.

We are using SOTW with core 3, so I would say it is great as an addition - but it is not going to give you a lot of US history. We are using Landmark, but not bothering about the guide. If something comes up in discussion we discuss it. If you want something else for US history you could look at This Country of Ours (you can read it free here http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=marshall&book=country&story=_contents). I know there are some here who strongly dislike it, but everyone's likes/dislikes are different so it is worth a look.

HTH

Landmark is a tough one. I used the teacher's guide and edited a couple chapters ahead with a pencil. That made the readings smoother. We ended up really appreciating and respecting that book.

I have not used SOTW yet but have heard that it is very readable. So if Landmark is what is holding up your schooling, then I say switch it for SOTW like you mentioned. :thumbup1:

I took one look at their edits, and decided that it was way too much bother. So we did Landmark as-is and lived to tell about it. We did Core 3 and 4 three years ago and loved it.

I'll note that I am not a tweeker. If I'm 80% happy, that's good enough. I don't have the time and energy to go beyond Sonlight as an open-and-go curriculum.

The edits only last for a few chapters. After that it is very straightforward.

I just skipped the SL edits at the beginning. If my kids seemed confused during the reading, I just edited as I went along.

The rest of the book was mostly great. We just finished it, and the boys miss it. I liked it, too.

Good luck.

I look at the Reader's Guide where it tells me to skip this, don't read that, cross out this sentence.....I just want to give it up. :glare: Then when we do the Story of USA - I feel like it's too fast and too much info. in 2 pages.

*sigh* It's my fault because I don't know what I'm doing... I'm frustrated because ds will be in 5th grade next year and I still don't know what I'm doing.

I spent so much to buy Core3/4 and now it's not being done (again). We are reading all the readers and read alouds (we're only on week 6- this is where Landmark begins). I want to go back to SOTW and use the readers from SL. :001_unsure:

Ugh... thanks for listening.

I never paid any attention to those notes. I read the whole thing to my kids and they really enjoyed it. (we did cores 3 and 4, not the combined version, but there were still edits suggested). Landmark is a fascinating book! Sonlight suggests edits because it's a stretch--the Read-aloud Level is 5th grade, and I think it's 7th grade reading level--I forget that last stat for sure. At any rate, it will be a stretch, especially if your kids are in the younger range for this core.

There's nothing wrong with going back to SOTW and using the readers from SL, or adding in the lit. read-alouds etc... too. They are wonderful books! But I'd give Landmark a try without all the edits first.

Merry :-)

I never paid any attention to those notes. I read the whole thing to my kids and they really enjoyed it. (we did cores 3 and 4, not the combined version, but there were still edits suggested). Landmark is a fascinating book! Sonlight suggests edits because it's a stretch--the Read-aloud Level is 5th grade, and I think it's 7th grade reading level--I forget that last stat for sure. At any rate, it will be a stretch, especially if your kids are in the younger range for this core.

There's nothing wrong with going back to SOTW and using the readers from SL, or adding in the lit. read-alouds etc... too. They are wonderful books! But I'd give Landmark a try without all the edits first.

:iagree: This is exactly what we do.

Guest Dulcimeramy

:iagree: If you want to try reading it as scheduled without those silly editing notes, maybe it would help to be sure your little ones have something in their hands to keep them busy while they listen quietly.

Mine like to play with legos or draw while I read aloud. All of my boys like Landmark, even the 6yo.

(And I also agree with Merry that if this fails, MFW + SL readers would be a great combination!)

Yes, we skip those edits and notes as well. We did core 3 last year and are well into core 4 for the current year and my kids love the Landmark book. It may take a little getting used to, but you may be surprised at how interesting it is once you start getting into it.

Lisa

I didn't do the edits. I read the pages and if something doesn't mesh I skip or reword it. We haven't had issues and I am glad I didn't bother with the edited reading stuff. No regrets. Some days are longer but if I need to, I break and summarize and ask questions as we read to keep attention. Mine are 9 and 7 listening in. It's not bad and I believe the edited stuff stops soon. I just couldn't figure it out, so we just read the pages as assigned.

We find the book very interesting. Don't let it bore you.

HTH!

I'm another one who ignores the edits. I also ignore the stopping places that SL suggests. My dc get upset when I try to stop reading mid-chapter, so I keep going either until we get to the end of a chapter or until I feel bogged down by a longer selection.. My 7yo tends to get lost, so I stop and summarize for him every few paragraphs. Even when he doesn't get it, he enjoys listening to the descriptive language in the book.

Ok. Looks like I'm just quitting way to early. I will go back and just do it. :001_smile:

Thank you for all your responses. I wish I had another mom to do history with - get my behind in gear. *sigh*

I thought that's what we were doing here. :D I love coming here for my kick in the butt or the gentle nudge. Or just the hugs of understanding!

:iagree:We did SL 3+4 for fourth grade with my youngest. It remains one of our favorite cores. Ds was bored with the Story of the USA books(?) and we just used them as a quick overview. The Boorstin book is the meat and it is very interesting and well-written. You experience American history through common every day things that you don't often think about like how homes are constructed and how standardizing rifle parts affects change. Sorry, but put away all those SL notes and you will be much happier.