Menu

I've eliminated/cut back and my grocery bill is still too high! help?

Lunches are: deli meat sandwiches/quesodillas/hummus/pita bread/grilled cheese/mac and cheese

Deli meat is insanely expensive and unless you buy the really expensive stuff, not very good for you. Have you considered buying a whole ham or turkey and slicing it up yourself? It would be cheaper and healthier.

Would it be helpful if you don't eat processed food? Honestly, I would LOVE to cut my grocery bill but I don't eat cereal so a book that tells me to buy cereal with a coupon doesn't help. However, if a book could really help someone like me, I'd love to know about it!

Yes, I do think so, as we eat very little processed food and I shop the perimeter except for things like tomato sauce and pasta. Most of what I cook is Turkish ethnic so I have to do it from scratch. We don't eat cereal.

There's info in there on meal planning, bulk cooking, freezing, gardening, more. Coupons are only one chapter.

Maybe preview on amazon or check out of library if you're not sure?

I live in TX and am able to feed my family of six very well on $120 a week -- I can do $80 if I have to but it's not much fun. I can't imagine spending that much a week on groceries or that much for rent -- YIKES! I truely feel for you.

I feel like I say this a lot but there is a cookbook called $5 Dinner Mom. And she literally plans out dinners (sides included) that cost $5 total. It's been awesome and we're trying new things, too. I got it at the library -- so that will help in cost, too.

Cold cereal and deli meat are expensive items (and cereal isn't filling, nor does it last long). Yogurt is more expensive per serving than a glass of milk, so I don't buy yogurt.

I buy rice, pinto beans, black beans, eggs, rolled oats, grits, and potatoes in bulk. I buy frozen veggies @ 1.00/lb. I buy whole wheat pasta for 1.00/box at Walmart. There are a few varieties of canned pasta sauce that have no HFCS in them; they are under 1.00 per can.

The two biggest boosts to my money-saving ventures have been meal planning and making just one big shopping trip per month. I plan 30 days worth of meals and shop accordingly for all non-perishable items. Weekly I stop only for milk, bread, and produce.

For breakfast we have oatmeal, grits, or peanut butter sandwiches. We eat eggs several times per week - egg sandwiches or quiche for lunch, omelettes for supper. Breakfast for dinner is an inexpensive meal.

Lunches are leftovers or pasta with whatever veggies we have on hand, tossed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Once a week we do have tuna on crackers.

Snacks are produce or popcorn (I buy the kernels in bulk and pop them in the microwave).

Also, cut out all the extra trips to the supermarket. Go just once per week - once at the beginning of the month (the big shopping trip), then just once weekly for perishable items.

Clean with vinegar, baking soda, and borax. Seriously. It works just as well. I also quit buying expensive scented items for my home (candles, plug-ins, carpet powder, air fresheners, etc.) I pick up a few 1.00 candles at Walmart from time to time and then make them last throughout the month.

We don't use paper towels or napkins anymore. In the kitchen we use dishcloths, for cleaning you can use 'flour sack' towels, old t-shirts or bed sheets (cut up), or any other cotton cloth. I bought a few dozen white wash cloths (they selll them in bulk at Walmart and Target) and we use those for napkins throughout the week.

This thread has been a lifesaver. Thank you to everyone who responded. There are so many great suggestions!!!

There are so many people/ideas to respond to so forgive me for not individually quoting everyone :001_smile:

We definitely spend too much on household stuff. I used to go to Target and spend as much on household stuff than I would on food! I'm able to bring that down significantly now that I've made some changes.

I think some of our expense is wasted products. We use A LOT of consumable products. I've given up a lot too. I buy very limited paper towels (puppy accidents), I buy cheap shampoo/etc.

I don't meal plan :001_huh: I know this is one area where I need to really work on.

I am constantly running out of things. I forgot that ds ran out of pull ups the other day so I had to run out at 9pm to get some. Well since I was at the store, I remembered that we were out of bread (I haven't started my bread making yet), bottled water (I buy it by the gallon. Our Brita filter sucks and our tap water has flouride in it :glare: )

We were also on our last roll of toilet paper. I picked up a half of a pound of deli sliced ham for about $2 and some provolone cheese (.80cents for 5 thin slices for my sandwiches) Oh and some grapes for $1.99 a lb.

Grand total? $45!!! That was for a quick trip! I bought lowest price at the cheapest store around (Stater Bros) and I still was shaking my head as I walked out.

I definitely need to buy in bulk at the beginning of the month! I think it will help tremendously!! I'm also scouring Amazon for deals. It helps curb my desire to shop plus I don't have to leave my house ;) (we only buy something from amazon if we need it and if it's dirt cheap).

I know we should cut out cereal. Again we only buy it when it's less than 2.50 a box....but still....we can go through one box in one morning :001_huh:

My kids are bottomless pits! I can't have eggs but I can start making them for the kids for breakfast.

I have to run but I'll be back later to respond to a few more questions I know I've left out. Thanks again !!!!! :grouphug:

Yes, I do think so, as we eat very little processed food and I shop the perimeter except for things like tomato sauce and pasta. Most of what I cook is Turkish ethnic so I have to do it from scratch. We don't eat cereal.

There's info in there on meal planning, bulk cooking, freezing, gardening, more. Coupons are only one chapter.

Maybe preview on amazon or check out of library if you're not sure?

Great! I cked and it's at my library. Thanks! I just get tired of chasing down frugal books, et c. and the advice is to stop going to starbucks and start using coupons. I've looked at coupons and just don't find them helpful for the most part. Sales fliers are more helpful, tho.

Thanks again! can't wait to get it . . . if the libriary ever opens back up. I love snow but I think I love the library more.

mykdsmomy,

Oooh. I wouldn't buy bottled water -- I lived in Orange County, San Bernardino County (near Wrightwood), and Ventura County. The CA tap water is fine and safe to drink. (And it tastes a lot better than TX tap water!!! LOL ;)) Flouride is good for your kid's teeth. You end up rspending too much $$$ for bottled wate that is poorer quality compared to tap water -- but added with the "plastic" taste leached into the water. Yuck.

Edited by tex-mex

mykdsmomy,

Oooh. I wouldn't buy bottled water -- I lived in Orange County, San Bernardino County (near Wrightwood), and Ventura County. The CA tap water is fine and safe to drink. (And it tastes a lot better than TX tap water!!! LOL ;)) Flouride is good for your kid's teeth.

Tap water literally makes me sick. I don't know what it is but I always get a stomach ache after I drink it. :confused:

Plus there have been studies on the effects of flouride on the brain and I already have two SN children with brain challenges so I'm ok with spending money on drinking water. I buy off brand and on sale and we only use it for drinking. I use tap for cooking/baking most of the time :)

And wow, you've lived all over So Cal....Come back! lol

Tap water literally makes me sick. I don't know what it is but I always get a stomach ache after I drink it. :confused:

Plus there have been studies on the effects of flouride on the brain and I already have two SN children with brain challenges so I'm ok with spending money on drinking water. I buy off brand and on sale and we only use it for drinking. I use tap for cooking/baking most of the time :)

I am a former schoolteacher (Elementary/Special Education) for 15 years before homeschooling my special needs Asperger/rare liver disease son. Don't wish to argue -- but tap water is safe.

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/5-reasons-not-to-drink-bottled-water

Edited by tex-mex

Great! I cked and it's at my library. Thanks! I just get tired of chasing down frugal books, et c. and the advice is to stop going to starbucks and start using coupons. I've looked at coupons and just don't find them helpful for the most part. Sales fliers are more helpful, tho.

Thanks again! can't wait to get it . . . if the libriary ever opens back up. I love snow but I think I love the library more.

I hope you find it helpful. I know what you mean about the frugal books. The only ones that I've found TRULY helpful have been Tightwad Gazette and this one. The authors of this book have another one, more generalized, that I'm considering getting. Hopefully it's as useful as their grocery book.

And I know what you mean about the library. I have several books on hold that I can't get to because it's closed and even if it wasn't I refuse to go out with all the ice everywhere. They haven't even begun to salt/sand the roads 'round here!

http://douglassreport.com/reports-2010/x600h6ab-fluoride/x600h6ab-home/?gclid=CLaO9Kvo6aYCFQkGbAodMhUo2A

http://www.gobeyondorganic.com/Weekly-News-Tips/how-fluoride-helps-create-add-attention-deficit-disorder.html

http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-facts.htm

I'm not sure what being a schoolteacher or a parent has to do with you being an expert on whether fluoride is good for you or not. This is a personal decision of the op and should be respected.

I am a former schoolteacher (Elementary/Special Education) for 15 years before homeschooling my special needs Asperger/rare liver disease son. Don't wish to argue -- but tap water is safe.

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/5-reasons-not-to-drink-bottled-water

I tend to be pretty low key about this stuff, and grew up drinking from the hose. I use tap water myself, but just about a week or two ago there was a huge story on NPR about how what we thought was safe in our tap waters is not as safe. Apparantly a HUGE percentage of children have flurosis of their teeth from the fluoride, and then they started talking about chlorine. I guess they used to use chlorine to treat water, but people were worried about carcinogens. So they switched to chloramines. Which oops, it turns out are much much much more toxic than the original chlorine. I'm sure you could search NPR for the story. Again, I haven't started buying bottled water yet, but I think I will look more seriously at using the reverse osmosis filter that came with the house!

FIRST of all, pat yourself on the back. You're making great gains. But, I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish a bit?

Making your bread is awesome, but it's not going to cut 50 bucks a week off. :001_smile: Laundry det helps a lot, though.

Get a pad and paper. Make out your menu by seeing what is on sale-and if Dh makes the meals HE should make the menu and list-after all, he knows what's in the house as far as meat.

Plan two days that are vegetarian (then three).

Make a list of what you need and ONLY buy that. ONLY. Really. ONLY. :001_smile: Go once a week and get it done and don't go back.

USE COUPONS.

Sales on grocery items cycles on a quarterly basis. So, when you buy toilet paper, ie, wait until it hits the low, then buy ENOUGH to get you to the next sale (and if you have coupons for it, all the better). That way you're buying low all the time and getting a stockpile going so you don't HAVE to buy ___every week. Running out and having to buy_____ is where you waste our $. The stores depend on that.

You may not like the coupons, but at the LEAST, watch the flyers so you can get your groceries at 40-50% off.

Even if you are finicky you can use coupons for shampoos, soaps, deodorants, body wash, OIL, toothpaste, toothbrushes. I get TOMS of Maine and 7th Generation coupons, so they're out there.

I saved 198 in coupons this week and spent 202. I should type out the list. Granted, this week was more of a splurge week because we are football fans and I got chips and salsa (which I NEVER get-and I never ever buy soda-just as a splurge) but my haul was enormous.

3 quarts of almond milk

2 lbs butter

3 milk

6 bags of tortilla chips

4 boxes cheeze-its

6 cans of pringles

6 big boxes of cereal

2 large packages of chicken breasts

4 sodas

2 organic cauliflower

1 organic celery

dill

parsley

bag of spinach

ginger

2 organic peppers

heavy cream

sour cream

2 blocks of cheddar

6 cans diced tomatoes

2 HFCS free ketchup

2 mustard

1 chapstick

2 deodorant

2 8 packs of soap (oil of olay-smells so nice!)

4 bottles Tabasco

2 bottles hot sauce

6 jars of salsa

4 doz eggs

6 jars of roasted nuts

2 soy sauce

2 boxes crackers

2 boxes popcorn

TONS of vitamins

2 Nemo gummi vits

2 princess gummi vits

4 D

2 B complex

4 C

4 chewable D for the kidlets

That's just what I can remember.

Last week I fell into a deal for anitbiotic free chickens and I was able to buy 10. Then toilet paper was on sale and I bought 6 huge packages.

So, see how it works? I don't have to shop for THAT week every week because between what I have in my pantry and my freezer, I can take advantage of the really low sales items. And then this week I was able to take advantage of the buy one get one free-plus my coupons-I was able get a lot for my $.

In my freezer is also organic green beans, corn from this summer, more organic corn--so I never have to "run" out because we have nothing to eat. And I have tons of beans and rices.

(can you tell I used to be a warehouse manager/QA at the company? LOl, me remembering that list -I'm cracking myself up)

Edited by justamouse

FIRST of all, pat yourself on the back. You're making great gains. But, I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish a bit?

Awww, thank you. I appreciate the kudos I think you're right that I tend to dissect it instead of looking at the big picture.

Making your bread is awesome, but it's not going to cut 50 bucks a week off. Laundry det helps a lot, though.

Get a pad and paper. Make out your menu by seeing what is on sale-and if Dh makes the meals HE should make the menu and list-after all, he knows what's in the house as far as meat.

:lol: He will agree to that and then not do it. He tends to literally scour the sale ads then go buy the meat on his way home from work. He brings home whatever is on sale. It's usually chicken .We eat so much chicken that my children are starting to grow feathers ;) (Beans and Rice are his other staple...oh and popcorn (he uses his whirly pop)

My goal is to take over dinner again or at least plan out those meals and he can help make them.

Plan two days that are vegetarian (then three).

This is important. DH doesn't see dinner as a meal unless there is meat in it :glare: The kids and I love soup but DH prefers meat....he will have to learn to deal with some meatless dinners

Make a list of what you need and ONLY buy that. ONLY. Really. ONLY. Go once a week and get it done and don't go back.

Wait....are you saying I should only buy what's on my list? :lol::tongue_smilie: sorry, I had to bring a little levity to my budget sorrows...lol

USE COUPONS.

Sales on grocery items cycles on a quarterly basis. So, when you buy toilet paper, ie, wait until it hits the low, then buy ENOUGH to get you to the next sale (and if you have coupons for it, all the better). That way you're buying low all the time and getting a stockpile going so you don't HAVE to buy ___every week. Running out and having to buy_____ is where you waste our $. The stores depend on that.

You may not like the coupons, but at the LEAST, watch the flyers so you can get your groceries at 40-50% off.

Even if you are finicky you can use coupons for shampoos, soaps, deodorants, body wash, OIL, toothpaste, toothbrushes. I get TOMS of Maine and 7th Generation coupons, so they're out there.

I have been saving all the coupons from the paper and need to go through them and sort. I used to subscribe to the Grocery Game but all of our stores stopped doubling the coupons so it's almost not worth it sometimes. (Unless it's for toothpaste/deodorant/shampoo)....but I'm going to give it another shot

I saved 198 in coupons this week and spent 202. I should type out the list. Granted, this week was more of a splurge week because we are football fans and I got chips and salsa (which I NEVER get-and I never ever buy soda-just as a splurge) but my haul was enormous.

So is this what you typically spend in a week? (do you mind me asking? :001_smile: ) Is it because you stockpile? I can't seem to get ahead but I would like to take advantage of the lowest prices. Right now chips and soda are cheap but we don't drink soda and chips are a one bag a week for all of us....

Thank you so much for all your help :) I truly appreciate it. I am impressed at your knowledge and ability to save so much!

3 quarts of almond milk

2 lbs butter

3 milk

6 bags of tortilla chips

4 boxes cheeze-its

6 cans of pringles

6 big boxes of cereal

2 large packages of chicken breasts

4 sodas

2 organic cauliflower

1 organic celery

dill

parsley

bag of spinach

ginger

2 organic peppers

heavy cream

sour cream

2 blocks of cheddar

6 cans diced tomatoes

2 HFCS free ketchup

2 mustard

1 chapstick

2 deodorant

2 8 packs of soap (oil of olay-smells so nice!)

4 bottles Tabasco

2 bottles hot sauce

6 jars of salsa

4 doz eggs

TONS of vitamins

2 Nemo gummi vits

2 princess gummi vits

4 D

2 B complex

4 C

4 chewable D for the kidlets

That's just what I can remember.

Last week I fell into a deal for anitbiotic free chickens and I was able to buy 10. Then toilet paper was on sale and I bought 6 huge packages.

So, see how it works? I don't have to shop for THAT week every week because between what I have in my pantry and my freezer, I can take advantage of the really low sales items. And then this week I was able to take advantage of the buy one get one free-plus my coupons-I was able get a lot for my $.

In my freezer is also organic green beans, corn from this summer, more organic corn--so I never have to "run" out because we have nothing to eat. And I have tons of beans and rices.

(can you tell I used to be a warehouse manager/QA at the company? LOl, me remembering that list -I'm cracking myself up)

my responses are bolded :D

my responses are bolded :D

So is this what you typically spend in a week? (do you mind me asking? :001_smile: ) Is it because you stockpile? I can't seem to get ahead

Well, I budget myself 340, but in I live in NJ so prices here are very inflated. I will readily admit that I don't often spend that much. There are weeks that I spend every penny, though. BUT I never buy what I need on the menu for the week-because I don't need to. I take the extra $ and go buy fabric, or buy seeds or... :D

If you don't get double coupons by you and you already get how the sales work and are good at knowing when to take advantage of them, then don't subscribe to The Grocery game again. That will save you 15. :-) So the best you're going to be able to do is 40-50% off-which is NOT bad. If you can add in a costco run, you should be good. Put the GG $ to the Costco membership. If you get $1 coupons, though, that's not too bad, I'd still use them. The basic pattern of buying at the lowest is what allows me to stockpile and keep the budget low. You never ever want to pay full price-ever. Buy low in all things. :001_smile:

We do use our costco membership a lot. Every week. If you have one close they're the best-even if you shop once a month or every 6 weeks (this was how we sis it wen we were further away) it's worth it.

every week at costco I get

2 bags of coffee beans

milk

organic frozen veggies

spinach

lettuce

organic carrots

veggies in produce.

1/2 & 1/2

some weeks I add to that the BIG cans of tomatoes for 3.50 -that is ONE pot of sauce for us-I'd pay 12 dollars for the same amount at the regular grocery. I'll buy 6 at a time.

garbanzo beans

sundry items (vinegars, butter, spices) this is where the budget comes in. Some weeks they get a big container of raisinettes-some weeks I have to buy a big thing of dish tablets and they get nada. :D But you never go over. Ever. NEVER GO OVER. Take the cash out of the bank, pay it in cash and when that is gone, you do NOT whip out the check book.

If your Dh is insistent on being the meat buyer then let him keep doing it-with the understanding that there are going to be meatless nights. Put a fried egg or two on top of your beans and rice, add some hot sauce and his tummy will be full. ;) Then build your menu around what he puts in the freezer.

You're really doing a lot buy just not hitting starbucks. Believe me, I know the power of a venti.

Originally Posted by Skadi viewpost.gif

You may also want to invest in a shampoo and conditioner dispenser for your bathrooms. Kids will often use much, much more than they need if they're the ones squirting it out of the bottles. It's easier to teach them to press the dispenser once.

I like this idea!!! Thanks!

I like to use the foam soap dispensers refilled with a huge bottle of regular liquid soap (softsoap or whatever) from Costco -- it lasts a very long time since you refill the soap dispenser about 1 part soap to 5 parts water. Plus the kids love the foam. Just buy a foam soap at the grocery and when it runs out, refill it.

http://douglassreport.com/reports-2010/x600h6ab-fluoride/x600h6ab-home/?gclid=CLaO9Kvo6aYCFQkGbAodMhUo2A

http://www.gobeyondorganic.com/Weekly-News-Tips/how-fluoride-helps-create-add-attention-deficit-disorder.html

http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-facts.htm

I'm not sure what being a schoolteacher or a parent has to do with you being an expert on whether fluoride is good for you or not. This is a personal decision of the op and should be respected.

Um. Your links are borderline hucksters creating hysteria.

Respectfully, most studies tend to be flawed from a data POV. I can say this as hubs used to work with UC Irvine writing medical journals for the American College of Sports Medicine in researching medication in the late 80's. One popular med on the market got the green light despite the studies SAYING it was safe. Many people died as a result. Then the FDA pulled the drug from the market. Hubs said all along the drug was dangerous as a few subjects died while he was running the Phase II FDA study.

As an educator who works with special needs students with many different types of learning disabilities -- blaming flouride is dangerous slippery slope. Much like blaming immunizations for Autism. And yes, I will speak up when I see unprofessional opinion weigh in on public boards like this -- so others reading these posts will not give in to mass hysteria. Just because it is a published study or on the internet does not make it so.

As a parent of a special needs child, I know my son's ADD, inattentiveness, and other issues are co-morbidities of his larger rare liver disease. Medically, we both participate in FDA Drug trials for an answer to our rare disease. Professionally, I have heard many experts suggest that we may discover the true reasons for ADD and other LD -- but down the road in a few decades. Not in 2011.

How are we then to assume flouride is evil? That is akin to saying (pre-germ theory) in the middle ages was that vapors from bogs or evil spirits can make you sick and die. Really? No. Finally someone realized washing your hands prevents the spread of germs. What will we be saying in 50 years over the flouride hysteria?

Edited by tex-mex

Originally Posted by Skadi viewpost.gif

You may also want to invest in a shampoo and conditioner dispenser for your bathrooms. Kids will often use much, much more than they need if they're the ones squirting it out of the bottles. It's easier to teach them to press the dispenser once.

I like to use the foam soap dispensers refilled with a huge bottle of regular liquid soap (softsoap or whatever) from Costco -- it lasts a very long time since you refill the soap dispenser about 1 part soap to 5 parts water. Plus the kids love the foam. Just buy a foam soap at the grocery and when it runs out, refill it.

I like this idea, too! My youngsters would love FOAM soap! Thanks!

I think you deserve kudos for trying to get a handle on this. Changing life style really is where you can save money though. Whoever said don't go to the store more than once a week is right. It doesn't matter if the cheese or whatever is on sale if it's not in the budget. I do these things:

I do the foam dispenser with regular soap.

I water down dish soap, shampoo, half and half w/water.

I only use a smidge of detergent and my clothes are clean and fresh (as and aside I wash it all in cold).

Meal planning isn't nice, it's a must. Until you get a stocked pantry use the sale flyer to plan. Whatever's on sale is what's for dinner.

Learn to love plain pasta, beans and soups. Maybe dh can have a small side of meat with his.

Like all new behaviors/habits you sort of have to kick your own behind until it becomes your new habit.

I think you mentioned in an earlier post that you purchase pull-ups. I just wanted to say that you can join AMazon Mom and through Amazon's Subscribe and Save, you can get a pull-ups subscription that saves 30% off the regular cost and they are delivered at regular intervals from Amazon. We have saved quite a bit and I never run out because if I get low, I can have my shipment sent early and it arrives in 2 days.

Limit your shopping trips. No runs to the store for xyz, just once a week at most with a well-planned list.

My husband and I were just reviewing how we did in January budget wise. I normally shop for groceries once a week, but end up going out to Target couple of times during the week to grab stuff that I forgot or go to Joann to get something that I need to finish a project. In January, my daughter was sick for a full week so I barely left the house that week and we ate mostly from our freezer and pantry. We usually cut it really close on our expenses vs. our income, but this month we came out $300+ ahead. Why? Because I had to plan and couldn't just run out and buy stuff whenever.

I read the whole thread and you got a TON of good advice (some of which I'll steal ;)), but the quote above is the #1 thing you can do. Plan more, shop less, and you'll save more.

What a great thread! Lots of very good advice.

We live in CA too and the prices here is my constant source of frustration.

But I agree with what most people said : menu plan around sales, use coupons and make one trip to the store(s).

I stopped buying snacks, because they are expensive and gone in a day. Now we eat fresh fruit (what's in season) and homemade baked goods. The only thing I still buy is pretzels, because they are filling and cheap.

I use only cash for grocery shopping. When it's gone - it's gone. Really curbs impulse shopping. So far I was able to reduce our grocery budget to $80/week. It doesn't include diapers/wipes though.

Good luck! :001_smile:

I think you mentioned in an earlier post that you purchase pull-ups. I just wanted to say that you can join AMazon Mom and through Amazon's Subscribe and Save, you can get a pull-ups subscription that saves 30% off the regular cost and they are delivered at regular intervals from Amazon. We have saved quite a bit and I never run out because if I get low, I can have my shipment sent early and it arrives in 2 days.

Thank you. We do have Amazon Prime and have ordered the pull ups before but last time they only had the S/M and Ds needs the L/XL. I'll check again though. Thanks for the reminder :)

Give yourself a cash budget. Put it in an envelope. When it's gone, it's gone.

Go once a week ONLY. Have a list, a plan, and browse the sale flyers online before shopping, checking at least 2 or 3 favorite stores, making notes as to which sale items to purchase at which stores.

If you find something you often purchase for less than 50% of the price you often pay, then stock up on 3 months worth. (If it's 80% off, get 6 months.)

Buy healthy staples first -- taters, dry or canned beans, frozen veggies, brown rice, dairy. With $30, you'll have enough for a week, for sure. Be sure you keep plenty on hand.

Be price conscious on your veggie/fruit choices. Apples & bananas are usually cost effective (but you have to watch the varieties on the apples. . . some are usually cheap, others very pricey). Broccoli, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions are reliably cheap.

Other fruits & veggies should be chosen for price/season/on sale/looks great. You can't do berries every day. You can't do artichokes every day. . . Keep your eyes out for good prices, and eat the yummies when they are a good price, or when your budget allows you to splurge.

Look at the prices you spend on a particular meal. Just eyeball it item by item as you put stuff on the table and add it up in your head. . . You might realize that you're spending $5 on something stupid -- tortillas, say. And that if you replaced tortillas with yummy mexican flavored rice, you could make an equally tasty, healthier meal for less $. By doing this for most meals, you'll soon come to realize which meals are budget busters. . . and then make intentional CHOICES about whether the splurge is worth it, or not.

Don't blow a lot of money on toiletries & cleaners. WIth $100, you could stock up on decent basics for months at Sam's or WalMart. I had been addicted to an Aveda ($50 per liter) conditioner for 20 years. . . and then tried Dove ($5 per liter) on a vacation and found it worked perfectly. Not every cheap product works this well, but if you try, you'll find you don't need the fancy stuff. . . Do NOT impulse buy "stuff" at the store. If you really need it, it'll be on your list. If not, wait until next week.

What worked for us was pinpointing the things on our household items list that we could make re-useable. Paper towels and kleenex, for example, are quite pricey. We replaced them with hand towels and hankerchiefs. Toilet paper was the same -- now we keep a few rolls around for guests but use a bidet (the ones they have out now are lightyears better than they used to be). How about household cleaners? We replaced commercial cleaners with our own vinegar and water / baking soda/ etc. mixtures. We also shop at the Dollar Store whenever we can for things like new washcloths, sponges, kitchen items, etc.

Can you tell me what the picture in your signiture is? I can't tell for sure because I can't get it any bigger but it looks like a Hank's.