Menu

we have a big bushfire about 30 km away. It started 3 hours ago, and has now burned 700 hectares. It is 42oC and a very strong wind.

I doubt it will get to my place ,as there is a pretty big river right near me (Snowy River Estuary). But there are several homeschoolers very close, one of them (yes the one with her goats in the house) has 9 children plus due next month, she is very close to the fire, and they are evacuating her road right now.

:grouphug: I was thinking this morning it is good weather for fire bugs. My Dad has been in the CFA for years and thinks arsonists should be strapped to the front of fire trucks going in to battle. :(

Stay safe. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Rosie- off to check the CFA site...

:grouphug: I was thinking this morning it is good weather for fire bugs. My Dad has been in the CFA for years and thinks arsonists should be strapped to the front of fire trucks going in to battle. :(

Stay safe. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Rosie- off to check the CFA site...

You think this bush fire was set on purpose. That's horrible! I agree with your dad!

Hoping it goes OK for you. What a strange country this is. Weather-wise, of course, the people are perfectly normal ;-)

Two days ago we were all on cyclone warning, way down out of the cyclone area, but we got nothing - barely any wind, and no more than a mist of rain.

If only we could average out the weather...

I didn't know about the fire. It certainly is the weather for it though. I hear that in NW Vic, they had flood and fire warnings at the same time this week. Nuts!!

Next: Cane toads, rabbits, locusts and the Pox.

Cane toads: check

Rabbits: check

Locusts: currently decimating the wheat belts of Victoria and New South Wales, check

The Pox: still to come I think.

:confused: What does? Cheerfulness or The Plague? :D

I don't know about cheerfulness, I've never been to Arizona :tongue_smilie: I was talking about the plague. Don't the prairie dogs or something have it?

Heeeey, I wonder if the floods got rid of a bunch of cane toads. That would be an unexpected pleasure huh.

I've seen pics of lamellar armour made from cane toad. Cool huh? :D

Rosie

I don't know about cheerfulness, I've never been to Arizona :tongue_smilie: I was talking about the plague. Don't the prairie dogs or something have it?

I've seen pics of lamellar armour made from cane toad. Cool huh? :D

Rosie

here in the high desert of SoCal, the wood rats have it.... i haven't met any people who've even heard of someone who has contracted it, but its out there...

ps. we can be pretty cheerful, too ; )

Update on the fire,

It burned over 8000 hectares in 4 hours, and came to about 12 km from our house. we did get a good shower of burned leaves.

The fire burned out over 7 km of power-lines, which meant that everyone east of the fire to the boarder has had no power for 3 days. the power line company has set up generators at each little town,and we have just been turned on.

The fire started form a tree that had been hit by lightning in October and had been smoldering ever since.

My friend with her 9 children and goats managed to evacuate with her children and goats. The fire burned right to her fence line and her house was saved by firefighters and bulldozers.

Update on the fire,

It burned over 8000 hectares in 4 hours, and came to about 12 km from our house. we did get a good shower of burned leaves.

The fire burned out over 7 km of power-lines, which meant that everyone east of the fire to the boarder has had no power for 3 days. the power line company has set up generators at each little town,and we have just been turned on.

The fire started form a tree that had been hit by lightning in October and had been smoldering ever since.

My friend with her 9 children and goats managed to evacuate with her children and goats. The fire burned right to her fence line and her house was saved by firefighters and bulldozers.

:eek: :svengo: Wow Melissa! That is just incredible that size and scope of that fire. You guys in Oz just can't get a break this week! :grouphug: I am so glad that your home was spared. That was really close and your friend! Unbelievable! I'm so glad everyone made it through safely. :grouphug:

Update on the fire,

Whoa- 12 kms is way too close for comfort.

Glad you are ok.

Glad you are OK. I heard about the fire on the radio a couple of times. Amazing that it started from a tree smouldering since October, incredible!!

Thinking back, Our family had noticed the tree smoldering in October. a few days after it was hit. it was a huge dead gum in the middle of a paddock. We forgot all about it until we heard the police report on the cause of the fire today.