Menu

Anyone else ready for the "Big Storm?!"

We are stocked with water, flashlights, batteries, food and a generator. I am hopeful that it won't be as bad as they are predicting!

Thankfully we have a gas stove, so we'll be able to cook hot meals and we have a generator to keep our electric fireplace going for a heat source.

Is it bad that I'm hoping my DH can keep the computer and internet aircard going, too?! :lol:

I hope all are safe--cyclone or winter weather.

In our case I'm talking the winter storm in the US. We have flashlights. No generator. No alternate heat source. I hope we don't lose electric long. I kept hoping it would track and the "new path" would have the ice away from us but no dice.

Edited by sbgrace

we are all snug in the house here in St. Louis waiting for it. None of us have to go out for a few days. We are going to get more ice and then we are right on the line between either 6-12 inches or 9-16"of snow. My dh had to go work out of town 3 hours away for the week. He is in the blizzard warning area and they expect 20". We are all taken care of food wise and have the generator waiting if we need it.

We're in a blizzard warning as well. We have a generator, but I'm hoping and praying we don't have to use it because we don't have a fireplace. We're currently listening to "thundersleet," which is making the cats nuts and one of the dogs scared. I'm reasonably sure they aren't going to want to go out to go pee... call it a hunch.

We are in the midwest, too.

The forecast here is: freezing rain/sleet/ice accumulation around 1/4"-1/2" followed by a thunder "snows" with accumulation anywhere from 9-20". Blizzard like conditions tomorrow with high winds, etc. Then...below zero temps starting Wednesday night!!

I'm really hoping that the forecast is much more dire than it will actually turn out to be!

We're currently listening to "thundersleet," which is making the cats nuts and one of the dogs scared. I'm reasonably sure they aren't going to want to go out to go pee... call it a hunch.

Yeah...pretty sure my dogs are going to take one look at the outside tomorrow and come back inside. Poor things aren't very tall either, so if we get over a foot of snow they get lost pretty quick! Although...it is pretty funny watching our basset hound try to maneuver her belly over the drifts! :lol:

This storm they're predicting just sounds like more winter in Minnesota to me. :D

and New England!

Although I have to say I think the school districts forget where we are! The forecast is calling for 2-4 inches this afternoon and many have already canceled! Tomorrow is when we're supposed to get a foot or so. That I can understand, but a few inches?

I grew up in Montana in the Rockies, so for me, Midwestern snowstorms are not too stressful. Here in the Chicago area, we usually get a good snowstorm at least once in February. With this storm the worst is not expected to hit until this evening. I'm betting tomorrow will be a snow day for my son which can only mean -- sledding!

Now, that cyclone in Australia looks worrisome. Stay safe, Ozzies.

Pantry and freezer are full, car is gassed up and covered, and we have tons of TP. Bring it on!

Same here - and we have a neighbor with a wood stove - I told her (jokingly for now) that the entire neighborhood may show up with sleeping bags if we have a power outage.

Pantry and freezer are full, car is gassed up and covered, and we have tons of TP. Bring it on!

:iagree:Us too down here in Dallas.

I'm watching the news as I have close to 3 inches of ice pellets on my front porch -- and the snow has yet to arrive. Eeep. The wind is something else with the freezing rain. The only thing I would like is a real wood burning fireplace to curl up next to. We are staying put today and hoping everyone else is safe and sound!!!

and New England!

Although I have to say I think the school districts forget where we are! The forecast is calling for 2-4 inches this afternoon and many have already canceled! Tomorrow is when we're supposed to get a foot or so. That I can understand, but a few inches?

:iagree: - Here in Maine they're calling for 2 - 4" today...up to 2 feet for tomorrow.

:iagree:Us too down here in Dallas.

I'm watching the news as I have close to 3 inches of ice pellets on my front porch -- and the snow has yet to arrive. Eeep. The wind is something else with the freezing rain. The only thing I would like is a real wood burning fireplace to curl up next to. We are staying put today and hoping everyone else is safe and sound!!!

Us too (Dallas too). I was surprised they closed the airport and all the schools with as little snow as we have, but if that's ice underneath, then yeah, I get it now.

I'm glad we're making the Packers and Steelers feel at home with this weather!!

I am in central Texas and the last two days have been 78 degrees, my windows were open and it was just beautiful. By this evening it is going to be 20 degrees. Right now the wind is blowing fierce and it hasn't even reached the 40 mph they are predicting. I decided we are not leaving the house today. Supposedly, we are going to have snow on Thursday. I am actually kind of excited about that!

We too are under a Blizzard warning with 10-16 inches expected.

Really, we are all thinking the weather folks are becoming actors....they love to predict this stuff and rarely have we gotten anything close to what they predict. The head meteorologist has dubbed this storm the "Groundhog Day Dump."

If they are finally correct and we get a storm..we are prepared.

But they have cried "snow day" one too many times are around here for anyone to fully believe them anymore.

Public schools are closed here too, we do have icy roads but right now things are overcast but clear. Supposed to get more icy stuff later today. We have food, woodstove, and oil lamps, but I haven't been to the library and if the power goes out and I have no internet I won't have anything to read! The horror!

This storm they're predicting just sounds like more winter in Minnesota to me. :D

Same here, lol. It snowed all day yesterday and last night. There's a lot more out there, but that's nothing new. The schools all around our city are closed, but ours are still open. The cold (wind chill below 0) is moving in now, it looks like.

I have to go to the grocery store today for the week's shopping. I think I might go to the furniture store, too. That's why I have 4-wheel drive and wouldn't dream of not having it. :D

Coffee - check! We're good to go. :D

Actually made a trip to Sam's club for bulk items and the grocery store too. We're set. I didn't think about gasoline for the generator though. Thanks for the reminder!

When I made my coffee this morning, I noticed that we only have one K-cup left. :eek:

I am going to text DH to pick some up on the way home today, or else I'll have to fight him tomorrow for the last one! :toetap05:

I agree! This is just normal winter weather for us. It has been snowing here for the past 24 hours, and there have only been a few 2-hour delays.

Edited by dani3boys

Another DFW area person here.. My alma mater canceled classes. My alma mater didn't cancel classes last year when there was a foot of snow on the ground in Texas. My conclusion is that the roads must be really bad!!!

If the power goes out we'll just have to curl up under blankets, though. No fireplaces or gas/wood anything in this apartment. Should be ok though. I'm more worried about dh working, since it means he'll have to drive on the roads.

We got a little bit of snow last night (I haven't been out to check how much yet, but we were supposed to get 1-4"), and we're supposed to get another 6-10" tonight. I have to take DD to gymnastics at 10:00 this morning, and I'll probably go to the grocery store afterwards. I'm not terribly worried about the storm, but we need groceries pretty bad, so I'll just make it easier on myself and do it this morning :)

we are all snug in the house here in St. Louis waiting for it. None of us have to go out for a few days. We are going to get more ice and then we are right on the line between either 6-12 inches or 9-16"of snow. My dh had to go work out of town 3 hours away for the week. He is in the blizzard warning area and they expect 20". We are all taken care of food wise and have the generator waiting if we need it.

I just looked at the radar and the storm is right in our backyards, Teresa! It looks pretty serious. It'll be interesting to see if the predictions are right.

I don't mind the ice, snow, and cold temps, but I don't want the power outage! We have a woodburning fireplace and plenty of wood, but no generator.

Take care, all!

Went grocery shopping for easy to eat/prepare food. I have charged up our car charger to power small appliances. Cars are gassed up. We have fuel for the snow blower and are ready to help dig out our elderly neighbors. I am going out to buy an electric tea kettle that I can run off our charger to have tea/hot chocolate/cup soups in case the power goes out and we have trouble lighting the stove. We have overhead power lines, so they could be vulnerable. I will do some baking to have some fun food to eat and am preparing dinner early today. I should get a load of laundry done. The bulk of it is supposed to hit us around 3 pm.

Southern IL. We got the ice for sure. Our poor deer and turkeys and chickens and outside dogs. Everyone is strawed up and bird and dog sheds are heated, but the deer...they just wont go in a shed. I looked out a few minutes ago and they are all on their feet eating.

We are supposed to get all the snow today on top of this. My Dh was told to stay home from work (this has never happenend in 6 years) and so we are going without pay for a few days. SIGH...and I am budgeted tight already. DOUBLE SIGH.

We are ready but we do not have a generator. Lets pray we keep power so all the animals are safe.

I suppose this is a thread we West Coasters (at least CA and OR) cannot really participate in. Our high for today is in the fifties.

Sorry. Hoping everyone is safely ensconced around the fireplace with lots of Hot Chocolate, whipping cream...and TP in the bathroom - see SolaMichella's post.

Southern IL. We got the ice for sure. Our poor deer and turkeys and chickens and outside dogs. Everyone is strawed up and bird and dog sheds are heated, but the deer...they just wont go in a shed. I looked out a few minutes ago and they are all on their feet eating.

I think deer will be fine.

We've got 9 goat does ready to kid any second and I just KNOW it will be tonight during the freezing rain we're supposed to get. We've got heat lamps in the barn, but my poor DH will have to attend these births and it's tough going if there is trouble and it's that cold out - we're expecting 9 degrees for tonight and tomorrow a high of 20ish. I know that's not as bad as some of you further north, but when you're birthing goat kids, it's NOT FUN. I'm injured and can't really help right now. :sad: