Menu

Jolly Phonics

mo2

I've heard this is such a great program. One of the distributors at a convention took a great deal of time showing it to me last year, and it looked quite nice. I've tried to figure out what to get since then, but can't figure it either. I do know they have Canadian retailers, so you don't have to get it from the UK. I've also heard that you're best to avoid having any of their audio pronounciations of the phonemes, as they wrong (buh, tuh, ect.) and to use Leapfrog DVD"s instead.

I've heard this is such a great program. One of the distributors at a convention took a great deal of time showing it to me last year, and it looked quite nice. I've tried to figure out what to get since then, but can't figure it either. I do know they have Canadian retailers, so you don't have to get it from the UK. I've also heard that you're best to avoid having any of their audio pronounciations of the phonemes, as they wrong (buh, tuh, ect.) and to use Leapfrog DVD"s instead.

Thank you. I found this distributor in the US:

http://www.beereading.com/index.html

And this is a quote from their FAQ page:

"Q: Is the program expensive for parents?

A: No. All you’d need to start would be The Phonics Manual for $39.95 and a set of the 7 Finger Phonics books for $66.50. The Jolly Songs book/CD is a great additional resource."

ETA: Amazon has some of their products too.

Edited by mo2

I use it with my younger 2 kids. We still use the other phonics programs we like but Jolly Phonics was really the only one that helped ds finally connect his letter sounds to each letter each and every time he saw that letter. Each sound has a page to color, with space to write the letter, and an action/story to go with each sound. We only use the manual and the finger phonics books. There is lots of other peices to it but they are designed more for the school classroom to use and are not necessary for the homeschooling family. (extra workbooks, wall charts etc)

I was very disappointed in Jolly Grammar. I felt like it was scattered and covered a really wide range of ages and skill levels.

I love many aspects of Jolly Phonics, and used it with my 5 yo dd to teach her letter sounds. But I'm not sure that I'll use it with my next student (currently 3.5).

The reason is that Jolly Phonics teaches the *sounds* of the English language. And then it expects you to go back and teach the different letter combinations that make each particular sound. I personally thought they did a great job guiding you how to teach the sounds, but a really lousy job of moving on from there.

In contrast, a program like All About Spelling (and probably most Orton Gill. methods) teaches the letters/letter combinations first and then which sound each letter/combination makes. If you think about, when we read we start with the letter/letter combo first and *then* figure out what sound that letter/combo makes . . . not the other way around.

In summary, there are some great aspects of Jolly Phonics, but there are also some concerning aspects that make me hesitate to use it again. HTH.